Reason #64

Great way to go.

Is there any way to assure the first stroke will be the last one?

Seems like a decent guy. Surpisingly for a CEO, he lives in a relatively modest (only 4800 sf) house, valued well under a million bucks in a normal residential area.

His House

Nords: Did you know this guy? Pretty sad.

"McGehee graduated from the Naval Academy in 1966 and served as a nuclear engineer aboard a ballistic missile submarine."

and he planned to retire next spring. Stories like this one are WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too common. He was in London on business, planning to meet with investors...stress of travel...of business...had a stroke during his walk and never regained consciousness.

Sad for his family.

True, sad for his family.... but some of the FIREd people forget that being a CEO can be very different than someone in the trenches... he might actually have been enjoying his job..

I know some EVPs at mega that can do whatever they want.. work when they want, and play when they want.. but do not stay retired long as the 'slow pace' is just not suited for them..

To each their own...

Nords: Did you know this guy? Pretty sad.
"McGehee graduated from the Naval Academy in 1966 and served as a nuclear engineer aboard a ballistic missile submarine."
Thanks, STR (and for the PM too), I missed this one.

Didn't know him (I graduated in 1982) but one of my classmates is a McGehee and might be related.

I read Gene O'Kelly's "Chasing Daylight", about his death from brain cancer while CEO of KPMG. It's an interesting insight into the hypercompetitive personality of guys who feel that they have to maximize their potential and their achievements. Judging from some of the USNA grads I've seen in their 70s & 80s, I'm pretty sure that McGehee was another one who'd never retire.

Back
Top Bottom