Regular visits to the skin doctor?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
My wife (57) and I (59) have both had Mohs surgery for basal cell carcinoma in the past - me in 2010 and DW in 2016. We've been going to the skin doctor every 6 months since DW's surgery. Since we've been going on a regular basis, we've always had something 'frozen off' or biopsied (no bad results so far).

We were talking after our most recent visit about how we've never heard any of our family and friends mention going to the skin doctor on a regular basis. That made me start wondering if going every 6 months was overkill. Does anyone else make regular visits to the skin doc?

I realize it's better to be safe than sorry (especially with our history) so we'll probably keep going but thought I would ask the question here.

We go once a year as we spend a lot of time in the sun. Had Moh's surgery once but seems as though they always find a couple of spots to zap at each visit.

Had two Mohs about 3 years ago. We go once a year (boaters).

They will ALWAYS find something for the liquid nitrogen, at $75 a shot.

Zap! $75......zap! $75.......zap!..........

On separate occasions I had Moh's for both basal and squamous cell. The amount they had to dig out compared to what was on the surface blew me away.

Also had a friend who got a melanoma in a spot she guaranteed had NEVER seen the sun. You can't be too careful.

I go to the skin doctor twice a year for bumper to bumper check and don't begrudge it at all.

Being fair skinned and having spent SO much time in the sun over my lifetime, I have had scores of the spots frozen and killed. Always visited the dermatologist 1 a year. Last year he said that I had way too many spots to freeze and recommended a topical treatment for my face, ears and scalp. The total cost was the price of two office visits and about $150 for the cream. So, My guy is not in it just for the money.

Anyway, the face looked like hamburger for a few weeks, but peeled completely, and now I have the skin of a baby! BUT, I apply sunscreen every morning as a matter of course and will do so in the future. A friend's wife died of Melanoma last year. Not a pretty sight...

Given your histories, I would encourage you to keep seeing the doc on a regular basis. I see my dermatologist twice a year (which seems to morph into about every 7 months or so). I'm in So. California--so there's lots of sun. About once a year, the doc finds something to zap.

As I grow older, I hear more and more about older people who essentially kill themselves by being cheap and not getting the proper medical attention. Up until the illness is irreversible they like to joke about this kind of thriftiness. And, these people can afford to see a doctor.

I go once every year or two, and he usually finds something to whack off. I practically lived at the beach when I was young, and never used sunscreen so I'm definitely at risk.

58 and 62. We go occasionally for a skin exam - maybe every three years. DH went annually for a while but his dermatologist told him he didn’t think it was necessary.

Neither of us has had skin cancer.

DW has had a couple of basal cells. I try to get her to go yearly. Her DM died of melanoma that was originally discovered on her skin.

Routine skin checks are one thing that can safely be conducted at home, as long as they are thorough and done regularly. Then, see a dermatologist for new and unusual spots or moles.

Having lived in the Sunbelt my entire life (much of it before sunscreen was common), I go every 6 months for "freeze and scrape." Nothing more serious than a couple of small and early squamous.

Tossed all my short sleeve shirts about 20 years ago and don't go outdoors without a hat.

I am 62 and began regular skin screenings around age 45 when my brother died of melanoma. At first I visited the dermatologist every 2-3 years but increased visits to twice a year once I started developing basal cells that had to be surgically removed. After finally going more than a year without a basal cell surgery, my doctor reduced my visits to once a year in 2017. Of course, he always finds something to zap.

None of my siblings see a dermatologist although I have encouraged them to do so. But I am slightly more fair skinned than them and live at a higher altitude. And I rarely used sunscreen when younger but now apply it daily before leaving the house. Also recently purchased a hat that protects up to SPF 50 as I am starting to spend more time outside now that I am retired.

Last edited:
I go once a year. I've had a couple of "dsyplastic" items removed. I used to go every 6 months but my doctor said once a year is enough.

This is the among the best investments you can make in your overall health from a preventative standpoint. Myself and DW both had Mohs procedures in 2016 as a result of a routine screening. The 'scars' are virtually invisible, and should be covered by most comprehensive insurance plans. We've already had follow ups - all good. We routinely apply sunscreen daily when we go outside during the summer now ...

The replies have been very beneficial and eye opening. I grew up in the South and never used sunscreen until much later in life. I recall vacationing in FL during my teens and using baby oil to get that little extra 'baked look'. Yeah, I paid for it dearly. I think we better keep going every 6 months until we're told otherwise. Btw, I'm currently awaiting the results of two biopsies taken last week. Fingers crossed.

Had Melanoma 17 years ago. I go twice a year for checkups. Doctors have told me that skin cancer can develop in under a year, so better safe than sorry.

Full body exam once a year. Sometimes go in between to have aks frozen off. One BC and one SC in my history.

I see my Dermatologist every 6 months. I've had 7+ Moh's treatments and have had multiple basil and squamous cancers pop up.

I had years of light radiation in the mid 70's - mid 90's to clear extremely disabling psoriasis. Although I wish there was a biological back then, I am still grateful for the quality of life that I was able to maintain while on the PUVA treatments.

The Dermatologist advised me that 6 months is the amount of time that she can catch and treat melanoma, if detected. Thus, I'm sticking with 6 months.

I

I had surgery several years ago to remove a SC spot from the center of my back, where it was difficult for me to see or reach. I've been going for checkups about twice a year ever since. I seem to be prone to some kind of small, painless benign growth ("kerotinoid"?) I can never remember the exact word.

For now I'm going every three months to either a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon and getting a "bumper to bumper" check. Last year I had two surgeries for melanoma, one in January and another in October. That got my full and undivided attention! Fortunately both were caught very early and I'm not even having to do any chemo.

And about 27 years ago I had an event of squamous cell carcinoma, so for the foreseeable future I'll be seeing a dermatologist at least every six months.

I go to the dermatologist every year or more often. I have one strange phenomenon with my dermatologist--I often get a spot on my skin somewhere that looks suspicious to me. I call and make an appointment with my dermatologist for a few weeks off. Then by the time my appointment comes around the spot has disappeared. My doctor jokes with me about this--she says she can cure me by just having me call for an appointment.

Most of my friends my age (late 60s) go the the dermatologist at least once per year.

Back
Top Bottom