Regular visits to the skin doctor?

I have been seeing military dermatologists for about 15 years. I have had 3 Melanoma's removed and 3 other MOHS cut out along with a couple dozen BCCs during that time. I see the doctor annually now as I have not a reccurance in a while and tend to stay out of the way of sun rays.

We go once a year. Me, DW and MIL go together and have our exams one after another. MIL needed MOHS after the last visit, so now she goes every 6 months. DW and I get something zapped off about once every 2 years, but nothing has turned up cancerous.

My new dermatologist is gorgeous. I want her to thoroughly examine my body at least once a week, but her admin said that this is not permitted. :( So, I guess I'm on the once-a-year schedule. Too bad. :nonono:

Every 6 months for me. All of that fair skinned Scandinavian heritage. Have had a few basal cell spots removed, one squamous, and had one early stage melanoma. Big hole out of my back thanks to the melonoma since they take down to the muscle layer, fortunately mine had not spread or even became deeper than skin level. But melonoma is too dangerous so generous margins on the cutting out. After that I was on 3 months visits for a year. Now keep on 6 months visits.

I get a little frosted (pardon the pun) on the spot freezing and the outrageous fees for $.50 worth of liquid nitrogen and 30 seconds of Dr time. But given my history I suppose just one of those things I need to accept.

I've had two surgeries for squamous cell. When I went for my annual checkup last summer, he zapped me in 24 spots. Looked like I was covered with cigarette burns. Good thing they heal fast.......

Started "mole patrol" (annual skin checks) a few years back when a friend of a friend had a terrible melanoma - think she ended up losing a leg! Fair skinned & live in the Gulf Coast vicinity. Have had maybe 3 cut off during that time with only 1 requiring the additional "surgery" after testing & yes it was where the sun has never shone! Compared to the pain / indignity of mammograms & colonoscopies, what's not to love?

Just went to the dermatologist for the first time. PCP saw something and recommended I go. They froze a couple things off, and said I had actinic keratosises on my head. I had to smear flourouracil cream on for about a month. That truly sucked. Burned and itched and left me looking like a Walking Dead extra. Stopped that about 3 weeks ago, and I'm going back in a week to see how it went. But I don't think I'll go too regularly, maybe every year or two, unless he says there's something major going on. I do think the freezes are more a money producer than anything too necessary. And the actinic keratosises have a very small chance of turning into melanoma. Worth looking at occasionally, but I'm not going to freak out about it.

And the actinic keratosises have a very small chance of turning into melanoma. Worth looking at occasionally, but I'm not going to freak out about it.

Be careful about that assumption. When I went to the dermatologist for what turned out to be the first diagnosis of the melanoma he said "It's probably just a keratosis but we'll check anyway".

No one was more surprised than me when they called back and said it was melanoma.

Depends on your skin and family history. Me - Mom had every skin condition known to mankind, so I'm at my Dermatologist quite often..

We go once a year, I have never had anything zapped, but my husband has had a few things cut and frozen.

I try to go yearly and have had BC at least ten times, with half of those on my nose. Had Mohs surgery on the last one. My dermatologist is conservative and just pulls on the waistband of my boxers. I let my wife check out the rest more carefully before I go in so I can let the doctor know in case anything suspicious is lurking down there.

I have never done it. I don't go in the sun hardly at all (probably one reason I am Vitamin D deficient). DH doesn't go to the dermatologist but earlier in the year at a visit with his primary care doctor he had them check him all over and they froze off one place (there was no problem).

Began going cause light skinned DW went on a regular basis and always seemed to have something burned off or scraped out. I guess I have been once to have Doctor look at a few moles. I think 2 were unusually shaped so the Doctor removed them. Haven't been in a few years, but have an 8 AM appointment tomorrow. I am not so sure after reading all these posts, but I guess that regular skin Doctor visits can keep that Melanoma at bay.

I'm a regular at about 6 months. Nothing earth shattering, but have periodic dermatitis areas, several cysts, & a few moles. Once I had a big rash on my....... oh, never mind.

BTW, in our area they aren't easy to get into without a family member already in treatment with them. Waiting lists.

Never considered it before. At what age would you consider a first exam?

I let a weird mole/rash go to long. Ended up being bc. Got so big I had to go to a plastic surgeon. That was at about age 40. I now go every 6 months. Like everyone else I get frosted at my visits. Seems like a no brainer to me. My Doc is very thorough.

Going back in a half hour to have my head checked. For years my bald head has been flaky and bumpy. Now after burning it chemically for a month, then letting it heal for a few weeks, it's smooth as a baby's behind. But that's not why I'm looking forward to the appointment. The dermatologist has the nicest pens I've ever used, and I'm going to snatch a couple more.

Edit: Got my two pens and my obligatory freeze. I guess I'll check back in next year.

Last edited:
Never considered it before. At what age would you consider a first exam?

I had my first Mohs surgery in my early 50s and should have been checked sooner like in my 40s. But I also didn't use sunscreen when I was a kid so I probably should have started going in in my 20s.

My dermatologist has me on a 4 year cycle. Everything that looks suspicious so far has been sebaceous keratosis. Of course we get less sun in the PNW. And I cover up in Mexico.

I just had a biopsy which turned out to be a basal cell. It's on the very tip of my nose. My doctor gave me a choice of fluorouracil cream or MOHS surgery. I opted for the cream, but I admit I'm a little freaked out by the descriptions of how awful the spot will look during treatment. I haven't picked up my prescription yet, and I'm seriously wondering if I should just go ahead and have the MOHS.

Two weeks ago had an interesting conversation with our dermatologist about sunscreen. First was, you don't need anything more than a "30" rating. Higher ratings are an excuse to charge more.

He said ALL sunscreens should be reapplied every 75-80 minutes, but very few companies will state that on their products because Americans assume that means the product is not as good as the "others." (Note: I did buy a product last week that states how long it lasts).

In Mexico, all products state the re-apply rate, so natives of Mexico are used to it. At the beach in Mexico, he overheard one American family reading the label on the locally purchased sunscreen say, "This stuff is not very good. It says you have to reapply it every 75 minutes!"

He believes that it will take legislation to mandate that U.S. manufactured sunscreen products have labels that state you have to re-apply every 75-80 minutes. Even using "waterproof" sunscreen doesn't extend that more than a few minutes.

He says 1 ounce will cover your body, so if you're at the beach all day you need a 6 - 8 ounce bottle of sunscreen per day per person.

And anything you're getting frozen off now came from sun exposure 20 years ago.

So I guess at some point in life, you can forgo the stuff... !

Last edited:
I just had a biopsy which turned out to be a basal cell. It's on the very tip of my nose. My doctor gave me a choice of fluorouracil cream or MOHS surgery. I opted for the cream, but I admit I'm a little freaked out by the descriptions of how awful the spot will look during treatment. I haven't picked up my prescription yet, and I'm seriously wondering if I should just go ahead and have the MOHS.

So sorry to hear about your biopsy results. Both DW and I have had MOHS surgery - mine on the side of my nose, hers just above the inside part of her eyebrow. I'll be honest - the surgery was not much 'fun', however, the results were good and you can hardly see a scar.

I don't know anything about the cream so I wouldn't even try to recommend one over the other. But I wish you the best whatever you decide to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom