Shower safety

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else get dizzy in the shower? It only happens now and then usually when I move my neck wrong (I have some disk problems and a sudden move bring on some nausea/dizzinees.) It happens now and then in other places but somehow I feel like I will drown myself there - which really is not very likely the water would run down the drain after all -

How to I manage to make sure I don't hurt myself. when this happens again. Yes I grabbed at the wall but the dizziness makes it feel not reassuring even though logically I know it will pass.

I tried getting my head down below my knees but getting up fast makes me dizzy too (low blood pressure) so I think i need a new idea. Lucky for me it only happens every few months but still I would prefer to remain upright and safe.

It seems like a shower chair would sort of be in the way since i cannot see using it 99% of the time. And my tiny cheap tub would not really lend itself to a built in thing i could sit down on in emergency.

Note to self: grabbing the shower curtain doesn't work either. :)

Last edited:
I still have my shower chair from my hip replacement over 2 years ago. I almost never use it but I like knowing it's there and it's almost never in the way.

The other option is to shower with a partner who can keep you safe. ;)

Last edited:
LOL. Too funny.

Do we like chairs with backs or what? IDK I never really considered this it is not as if I am actually infirm.

Add a grab bar to the shower if you do not have one. I would opt for the shower chair now. You think you won't use it much, but how do you know? Also, if you get to where you have to use the chair in the future you will already have it and be familiar with how to shower from that position. There should be a lot of stuff on the web about retrofitting showers for seniors or about Universal Design for showers. (Universal Design is a $5 term for designing spaces that work for people of all ages and disabilities).

Last edited:
Grab bar is probably the inexpensive option.

An expensive option would be to have one of those walk in shower / tub things installed. That's probably in the $$$$ range.

My immediate reaction to thread topic was to think.of those "suicide showers" in the islands.

Had to look that up. Weird.

IDK no one who has not just been ill or injured should need a chair. I guess it just creeps me out a little. Aging is fun :(

Anyone else get dizzy in the shower? It only happens now and then usually when I move my neck wrong (I have some disk problems and a sudden move bring on some nausea/dizzinees.) It happens now and then in other places but somehow I feel like I will drown myself there - which really is not very likely the water would run down the drain after all -
How to I manage to make sure I don't hurt myself. when this happens again. Yes I grabbed at the wall but the dizziness makes it feel not reassuring even though logically I know it will pass.

I don't think a grab bar will help. If you are on your way to passing out, your grip will relax, and you will fall/fold.

I tried getting my head down below my knees but getting up fast makes me dizzy too (low blood pressure) so I think i need a new idea. Lucky for me it only happens every few months but still I would prefer to remain upright and safe.
Your choices are extremely limited! Putting your head down below your knees will work in all but the worst situation. The fact that you will then be doubled over with your head close to the bottom, sure seems like it would reduce your chances of injury, if you end up going completely out anyway. But most likely you will pull a save. Getting back up is not a problem, rise back up in stages, stabilizing at each level, and wait for your head to clear at each. If you seem shaky/doubtful, go back down a level. No rush to get up. Goal is to get up safe and stabilized.

It seems like a shower chair would sort of be in the way since i cannot see using it 99% of the time.
If you are flexible enough to bend way over when needed, or to squat down and bend over, you can probably do without the chair. On the other hand, if a chair makes you more comfortable (thinking-wise), get a chair, assuming your tub is long enough that setting one in the shallow end isn't a tripping hazard while showering.

I can recommend one, I researched, bought it and assembled it for DW to use in a shower stall after her TKRs. Bought it at Walmart - Equate Bath & Shower Seat With Back. They still have it, $38.88. Easy to assemble, easy to put in and out. The legs are adjustable height. High load limit. It's pretty sturdy. I'd give it 4.5 stars. I'm holding out that last 1/2 star because of a relatively minor long-term materials issue. It's all non-corrosive aluminum and plastic, except... Each aluminum leg extension presses into a rubbery plastic angled "foot". To stop the thin-walled aluminum tubing from cutting into the plastic foot over time under a person's weight, there is a plated steel washer at the bottom of each leg inside. That washer will eventually rust. So if the seat is going to get sprayed well, it would be a good idea when finished to lay the seat down on its face or back to let any water that got down in there to drain out via the height adjustment holes. Or find or make your own aluminum washers for that spot. It's an Engineer talking here, most people would probably never notice :)

Thanks for the recommendation! I'd notice - for real. But if there is a solution . . .

Got grab bars in both baths, seat in the shower and the towel bars are ADA certified and screwed into studs.

Probably a long shot and already considered and ruled out, but any chance of addressing the dizziness and fixing that instead?

When my SIL and I remodeled my wife's bathroom we took out the built-in tub and replaced it with a shower. On the end opposite the shower head we built a seat and there is still room to be comfortable. We made sure the floor was textured enough to be safe from slipping. One day soon I will be installing a grab bar once I find the studs again. Once I find an appropriate stool I will be putting it in the other bathroom shower. Even though it may be a little cramped it may be safer to shower while seated.

Cheers!

DW has balance issues and needs aids in the shower too.

I installed a superstrong grab bar (that is also a really nice bottle shelf) and put down a very grippy, full length tread mat. I also bought her an Obus fold up bench stool to sit on. It's very sturdy and folds up out of the way when I use the shower. It's like this one..

https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/...nches-and-stools/folding-shower-chair/p/281-1

When my SIL and I remodeled my wife's bathroom we took out the built-in tub and replaced it with a shower. On the end opposite the shower head we built a seat and there is still room to be comfortable. We made sure the floor was textured enough to be safe from slipping. One day soon I will be installing a grab bar once I find the studs again. Once I find an appropriate stool I will be putting it in the other bathroom shower. Even though it may be a little cramped it may be safer to shower while seated.
Cheers!

I had a devil of a time in our bathroom to install a grab bar because the walls are sheet marble and the studs were impossible to find. This product took care of that and was amazingly strong:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...uperior-products-ii-88958-11.html#post2256893

my wonderful shower - - just had to describe it!

I love my shower. I am 72 and did my best to make sure my shower will work for me when I am much older than I am now.

GRAB BARS: My shower is 44"x44", with two big grab bars that are installed so solidly that I swear a 500 pound sumo wrestler could do handstands on them. I have no idea how that was done but a contractor would know how to do it. The grab bars are metal and about 2" in diameter, with roughened surfaces so my hands won't slip on them. One grab bar is vertical and about two feet long, right at the shower entry and is helpful when I need to step over the 3" threshold into the shower. The other grab bar is horizontal, on the opposite wall and about 3 feet long. I really like this grab bar arrangement.

FLOOR: The floor is completely non-slip. It has those small tiles that were used back in the 1960's (one inch, maybe?) and all that grout makes the floor non-slip. Maybe the tiles are non-slip too. The grout is an off white color and doesn't need (or at least doesn't get) much cleaning.

SHOWER STOOL: I have a small, but high shower stool that I have had for a decade and it doesn't take up much room. I also have a bath brush which I use to scrub my feet (or back) while seated, and without leaning over and possibly losing my balance. I can hold onto the grab bars while rising from the shower stool, which should be helpful when I get older and more frail. The shower stool arrangement turned out to be very helpful at times, such as before my knee surgery and during recovery from it. Now, I seldom use it but it doesn't get in the way and now and then it is helpful.

SHOWER HEAD: The shower head is on an extra long hose, and I can reach it and use it while seated if I need to do that. I can also adjust the water amount and temperature while seated on my shower seat.

Not sure how to multiquote from different people but - cause - Smashed disks in my neck due to car accident - not bad enough to replace - not a big deal unless i make the wrong move. I think I probably need to learn to not move my head at all and instead move the water to it - which I had not really considered before - liked the folding chair and the bar - thanks. I just have a hard time with this idea at all I guess. . . but really bruised and bleeding is not the way I prefer to end my shower . . . so it needs to stop before worse. I think adding a phone to the bathrooms might be a good idea too. (Still have a land line so easy enough to add on).

Anyone else get dizzy in the shower? It only happens now and then usually when I move my neck wrong (I have some disk problems and a sudden move bring on some nausea/dizzinees.) It happens now and then in other places but somehow I feel like I will drown myself there - which really is not very likely the water would run down the drain after all

Seems odd for disk problems. Have you been checked for benign positional vertigo? Grab bars would work better than a shower curtain.

Seems odd for disk problems. Have you been checked for benign positional vertigo? Grab bars would work better than a shower curtain.

No. Maybe I should ask at my next appointment. I have not been to any docs since last fall due to virus.

No. Maybe I should ask at my next appointment. I have not been to any docs since last fall due to virus.
Please check out your balance. I've had balance issues and disk issues, they're not the same. My most recent balance issue was resolved by taking niacin as suggested by an ENT.

Please check out your balance. I've had balance issues and disk issues, they're not the same. My most recent balance issue was resolved by taking niacin as suggested by an ENT.

How much niacin? I did quit taking vitamins because I ran out about Feb and quit shopping at costco due to the pandemic (crowds). I mean not that I couldn't get them somewhere of course it just didn't seem important.

Everyone here is so nice, no matter what I ask people try to help!

How much niacin? I did quit taking vitamins because I ran out about Feb and quit shopping at costco due to the pandemic (crowds). I mean not that I couldn't get them somewhere of course it just didn't seem important.

Under the advice of an ENT I take 1500mg of slow release niacin daily. He was concerned about my ability to tolerate that much but it's not been a problem for me. Please understand he was addressing a specific problem he assumed I had, there's a test for it but it's a days drive to get there, with my inner ear not self leveling as it should. I'm not sure if niacin generally helps balance.

I am beginning to wonder if I cracked my collarbone yesterday . . . . I may be seeing a doctor sooner than I think!

I agree with those who say go see a doctor. It is more important to address the root cause than the symptom. There is no guarantee the symptom solutions will be 100% effective.

I feel safe going to the doctor. I went for a full physical and everything was set up very well. So do not hesitate. It would seem that the odds of you getting injured in your condition might be greater than the odds of catching a severe case of the virus.

My immediate reaction to thread topic was to think.of those "suicide showers" in the islands.
Without Googling this, it has to be one of those shower heads with electric wires running to it to operate a heating element in the shower head to warm the water. My parents went on a vacation to Haiti in the 1970s and took a picture of one of these that was in the hotel room they stayed in. Looked like a part from an electric chair or something out of a Frankenstein movie.

You can buy vitamins online at costco.com , we did and they ship them free.
The price of the vitamins might be $1 more than in your local store, but for us it was an easy solution.

Back
Top Bottom