Swine flu: what NOT to do

I suppose when the world population is 1 person per square mile, second hand smoke won't be a problem either.

Mine is offering a #10 can of nonfat dry milk for $12.99 and they throw in the camo underwear, I think. I really like that the people pictured look really normal standing next to a year's supply of MREs.

HFWR, what was that movie where the two teenagers were in the bomb shelter and the guy convinced the girl it would be patriotic to, ahem, do something?

I get one of those great catalogs for end-timers, and it has these fabulous pallet loads of food that includes 10 gallon pails of flour and 20 days of MREs and that kind of thing. I love envisioning what sort of mailing list profile I've created by requesting this catalog.

;)

Got a link?

Then again, there are always folks like this running around: Survivalist Truck Dweller

My only problem with the truck dweller is the 4,000 volt stun gun. Holy moly! But I had to laugh that he calls it a "bug out vehicle". Our trainer has a friend who is an end-timer and he talks about all the different "bug out bags" he has stashed around his house, work, truck, etc when the bad times come! Whoa!
Living in a van by the river--love that it is applicable to hippies and end-timers both!

Sure, I get the print edition, but here's their website:
Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage
I'm actually just a bit "into" this stuff, mostly from when we were provisioning the boat for our trip. I really do like survivalist stuff--must have watched a lot of Grizzly Adams as a child. :)

I generally think the survivalists are extremely deluded, personally. A collapse of infrastructure is probably the end for them as well as the rest of us. However, I make it a point to be reasonably prepared for emergencies, especially now that I have small children. So we have a case of MREs kicking around the basement (and the camper), I have a water filter equally suitable for hiking or emergencies, and I generally keep the pantry well-stocked with dry goods (which we use anyway). All the rest of it (bars of gold, weapon arsenals, gas masks, Gawd knows what else those loons get up to), is a little silly, IMO.

My only problem with the truck dweller is the 4,000 volt stun gun. Holy moly! But I had to laugh that he calls it a "bug out vehicle". Our trainer has a friend who is an end-timer and he talks about all the different "bug out bags" he has stashed around his house, work, truck, etc when the bad times come! Whoa!
Living in a van by the river--love that it is applicable to hippies and end-timers both!

I thought that all those guys believe that they will get transported skywards when the rapture comes? Or are they that convinced in their heart of hearts that they are not "saved?"

Nutballs. If the infrastructure collapses, there is an excellent chance that my kids, wife, etc. don't make it. Not real eager to hang around in those circumstances, anyway, even if I didn't otherwise snuff it in the early rounds.

You and I are on the same page, Brew. All of those are good preps.

I just conceded that we could get the pistol that DH wanted, but only with the condition that a friend teach me to shoot it. I really don't want it, but I think it is probably a reasonable concession and an appropriate part of our home defense. We do not have children visit our home but just in case, the gun will be kept in an inaccessible location to others.

Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.

So we have a case of MREs kicking around the basement (and the camper),

After Hurricane Katrina, food was extremely hard to get and there were a lot of MRE's being given out. I was able to find food (not what I wanted, but something anyway) so I didn't partake in MRE's.

I was REALLY surprised when my Weight Watchers leader told us how many calories are in an MRE. For someone like me, one MRE is more calories than I need in two days (six meals). MRE's are supposed to be for extremely active and young guys in demanding situations (to say the least) so the calories just aren't in line with what normal people need.

So, a word to the wise - - if you ever have to use your MRE's, you might want to split one with your wife rather than to eat the whole thing.

You and I are on the same page, Brew. All of those are good preps.

I just conceded that we could get the pistol that DH wanted, but only with the condition that a friend teach me to shoot it. I really don't want it, but I think it is probably a reasonable concession and an appropriate part of our home defense. We do not have children visit our home but just in case, the gun will be kept in an inaccessible location to others.

Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.

Opinions differ on firearms, obviously. I would like to own a small caliber rifle or pistol for target shooting, but DW is dead against it, my state of residence makes it a PITA, and we have small children. So that's pretty much out. I suppose that I could easily pick up a crossbow and some broadheads and have 90% of the killing power of a firearm, but I basically cannot be bothered.

All the other stuff makes heaps of sense to me. No sense being caught with your pants down in a relatively minor emergency. Of course, my first instinct would probably be to load everyone and everything into the car and haul the camper (with all its supplies already on board) away from whatever the problem was...

After Hurricane Katrina, food was extremely hard to get and there were a lot of MRE's being given out. I was able to find food (not what I wanted, but something anyway) so I didn't partake in MRE's.

I was REALLY surprised when my Weight Watchers leader told us how many calories are in an MRE. For someone like me, one MRE is more calories than I need in two days (six meals). MRE's are supposed to be for extremely active and young guys in demanding situations (to say the least) so the calories just aren't in line with what normal people need.

So, a word to the wise - - if you ever have to use your MRE's, you might want to split one with your wife rather than to eat the whole thing.

That's the plan, since the things are generally north of 1000 calories a piece. I imagine one a day per person would probably cut it for a while. The calories, etc. are clearly labelled on the ones I have and it is pretty amazing.

Never mind got caught up in the survival mode thread.. My mistake :D

Oh stockpile water :)

...Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.
Nope, sounds like what I have to do for the winter months. I live on a road that is a main power run to other towns, so downed lines are fixed on my road before many others. We have a generator and keep plenty of fuel on hand in 5 gal containers for prolonged power out circumstances.
Right now I am finishing off a store of canned and dry goods that expire in 2010. Before winter snows pile up, I will inventory and make a big shopping run for things that are easy to heat up with no power. Maybe I need to get a few MREs as part of the pantry stash. :rolleyes:
There was a huge ice storm back in the late 90s that hit communities all over northern NY, snapping telephone poles and huge trees and making roads impassable for weeks. :nonono: It didn't affect my area, but the storm hit towns that are not so far away.

1st swine flu "joke" received in email

What is the difference between Bird Flu and Swine Flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment and for swine flu you need oinkment.

only on the Internet...:nonono:

I guess I am one of the first Forum swine flu survivors . I got the swine flu . As flu's go it was mild but I stayed home because younger people were having more serious reactions and because one of the symptoms is diarrhea ( and it is a lot of diarrhea ) . I did end up with Bronchitis and had to go the antibiotic route but all in all it was milder than other flu's I've had !

I am glad you did so well, Moe.

Ha

Speedy recovery, Moe. We've seem scattered cases up the road here, too. I'm washing my hands a lot.

REW, there's a lab test

Last edited:
REW, there's a blood test

Are they using it 100% of the time to confirm swine flu in your area right now? Or are doctors simply assuming swine flu due to the time of year, as they have been doing here (according to local media)?

Last edited:
Moe, how do you know you had H1N1 vs the "regular" flu?

Swine flu is rampant in Sarasota right now . They are seeing lots of cases . So for me they just went by the symptoms and declared it the swine flu . When I went to the Doctor's the waiting room was packed with people coughing and running to the bathroom . If you look at the map of were the swine flu is Florida lights up like a Christmas tree . I had it for two weeks . It started with a cough , body aches , fever , loss of appetite and diarrhea . It progressed to Bronchitis before it slowly went away . I had been at a Childen's birthday party at Chucky Cheese and I guess that stupid mouse gave it to me . Thanks Chucky !

Yep, those were my symptoms. I never went to the doctor, though, so who knows whether it was regular flu or swine. Took about two weeks for the fatigue to finally go away. Yuck.

Are they using it 100% of the time to confirm swine flu in your area right now? Or are doctors simply assuming swine flu due to the time of year, as they have been doing here (according to local media)?
Early in an epidemic or pandemic we check almost all symptomatic patients to guide public health authorities as to where the thing is heading. Once you reach truly pandemic conditions you just assess and treat without the blood test. The treatment is helpful but needs to be started early, is expensive, and has some side effects so it's not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom