What activities do you do during sleepless nights?

I used to listen to this audio (and of course follow the instructions). I still practice this, but don't really use the audio any more. Most of the time when I listen at night, I don't make it to the end of the recording. Or if I do, I roll over an nod off quickly.

Thank you for posting this! I occasionally have difficulty falling asleep, and even more difficulty going back to sleep if I awaken in the middle of the night.

After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious. There is NO WAY I will ever make it through the entire 45 minutes.

Thanks for an effective, non-chemical sleep aid. :)

I took a short holiday (4 nights, 5 days) and slept like a baby every night. Now that I am back home, I hope I can still continue my sleep mode and not have those sleepless weeks again. I note that during my holiday, I did not have to think and plan on activities the next day. Keeping my fingers crossed that my good sleep days can stay for some time. Otherwise, I'll be using all the tips given in this thread.

I have EA Scrabble, it appears to be the original Hasbro game from the App Store. It has the little banker guy logo. It looks like there is a free version and one that costs $9.99. I can't remember if I paid or not..but I'm guessing I did. I love playing it - very addictive. I play against the computer. You'd can also pass the iPad around and play with others. You can play with others across the web too but that's not my cup of tea. There are 3 levels of difficulty and more than one dictionary to use. Is there a way for me to tell if I have the paid version? It didn't tell much when I looked at the "about" page.
Thanks!

Thank you for posting this! I occasionally have difficulty falling asleep, and even more difficulty going back to sleep if I awaken in the middle of the night.

After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious. There is NO WAY I will ever make it through the entire 45 minutes.

Thanks for an effective, non-chemical sleep aid. :)

Copied to all my devices. Better than ambien.

I'll try this. I'm not sure it will help since I am used to meditation, but it's worth a try - thanks.

When I "copy" on an iTouch, I get the URL. Is there a way to get the raw mp3?

After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious.
LOL!

Copied to all my devices. Better than ambien.
:)

I'm not an "i-anything" person, but could you pull it up on your computer and email it to yourself?

This audio goes with this book, by the way.

It's great, at the beginning he says "it's best if you can manage to stay awake"... he KNOWS it's not easy!

I'm not an "i-anything" person, but could you pull it up on your computer and email it to yourself?

It's great, at the beginning he says "it's best if you can manage to stay awake"... he KNOWS it's not easy!

I can sure try and will. I am rarely at a "real" computer anymore but it's tax time! In the meantime, it's bookmarked on the i-thing :) Thanks!

I'll try this. I'm not sure it will help since I am used to meditation, but it's worth a try - thanks.

So many devices out there. When I quote the post with the link, I get the text of the URL in my Android phone. When I went to the link on my nexus tablet, it downloads the mp3, and also plays the file. You should get a download. If you don't, try to copy the post and email it.

""what-activities-do-you-do-during-sleepless-nights""

Just the usual last night. Woke up in a cold sweat at 5 am and lay there for 2 hours mentally recounting every financial, business and personal mistake I've made for the last 10 years... you know, for kicks. :eek:(

man i hate insomnia.

I used to listen to this audio (and of course follow the instructions). I still practice this, but don't really use the audio any more. Most of the time when I listen at night, I don't make it to the end of the recording. Or if I do, I roll over an nod off quickly.

Just the usual last night. Woke up in a cold sweat at 5 am and lay there for 2 hours mentally recounting every financial, business and personal mistake I've made for the last 10 years... you know, for kicks. :eek:(

man i hate insomnia.

Have you tried listening to the audio sengsational posted? Seriously, it put me out like a light. You might give it a try. Good luck. :)

man i hate insomnia.
everything always seems worse between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.

To answer the OP's question, right now it's 1.50am my time and I can't sleep - so I check the news online, read research papers, come on this website to check the latest posts or Boglehead's. sometimes I watch a movie from Netflix.

Have you tried listening to the audio sengsational posted? Seriously, it put me out like a light. You might give it a try. Good luck. :)

Thanks. I'll try that. And yes, everything does seem much worse at that time of night and the self recrimination is a bad way to pass the time !

I've had recurring bouts of insomnia all my life. I don't think they're related solely to stress though as I've had them since childhood. And I was one chilled out, happy little kid... :cool:

I have lots of sleep issues - trouble getting to sleep, waking in the middle of the night, RLS - but once I'm FIREd I won't care.

I play Hay Day for a while then listen to an audio book from the library with a timer so if I fall asleep I can find my place again. Currently I am listening to "The Grand Design".

What I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep

Basically, I don't think I have been sleeping consistently well since 1978.
I read about the mask people use, but what do they do when they have to P?
Had a fifty year reunion last summer and the guys got into a discussion about having to get up during the night. Three times seemed to be the average.
I am wearing a sleep monitor now and get from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours deep sleep and an hour or so of light sleep a night.
Has anyone come up with a miracle cure?

Basically, I don't think I have been sleeping consistently well since 1978.
I read about the mask people use, but what do they do when they have to P?
Had a fifty year reunion last summer and the guys got into a discussion about having to get up during the night. Three times seemed to be the average.
I am wearing a sleep monitor now and get from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours deep sleep and an hour or so of light sleep a night.
Has anyone come up with a miracle cure?
I noticed that when I was clearing land, cutting down trees, and stacking logs last summer, I slept better. I've still got plenty left if you want to come on over and give it a try. :LOL:

Hermit it was so thoughtful of you to offer. But I wish it was just a matter of not getting enough physical activity. By the way, if you g get tire or finished with you work , I have 46 Virgin acres that could use a good man.

Hermit it was so thoughtful of you to offer. But I wish it was just a matter of not getting enough physical activity. By the way, if you g get tire or finished with you work , I have 46 Virgin acres that could use a good man.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will have my hands full building my house and volunteering at the nearby kid's camp.

On a more serious note. I hope you find a way to get better sleep. While working mostly night shifts for the last 10 years, 4.5 to 5.5 hours consistently would have sounded great to me. Since RE I have been doing about that most nights interspersed with nights when I get 6 or 7. I just figure it is part of getting older.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will have my hands full building my house and volunteering at the nearby kid's camp.

On a more serious note. I hope you find a way to get better sleep. While working mostly night shifts for the last 10 years, 4.5 to 5.5 hours consistently would have sounded great to me. Since RE I have been doing about that most nights interspersed with nights when I get 6 or 7. I just figure it is part of getting older.

I usually get 6 hours sleep but sometimes I lay in bed a couple more hours. I wonder if we overthink it. If you are not tired or groggy during the day and not in need of nap, I believe it must be enough. A few years back I made a mistake reading something that said you need 7-8 hours solid sleep to be healthy. Well I mentioned it to my doctor about only sleeping 6 hours and next thing you know I got an Ambian script in my hand. That did nothing for me as I never had a problem going to sleep to begin with. The OTC stuff would knock me out for 8 hours solid. I wouldn't even get up to urinate, but I felt groggy til lunch, so that was no benefit. I just accepted I must be getting enough sleep because I am never tired and do not take naps, even though I have plenty of free time to take them if I desired.

I usually get 6 hours sleep but sometimes I lay in bed a couple more hours. I wonder if we overthink it. If you are not tired or groggy during the day and not in need of nap, I believe it must be enough. A few years back I made a mistake reading something that said you need 7-8 hours solid sleep to be healthy. Well I mentioned it to my doctor about only sleeping 6 hours and next thing you know I got an Ambian script in my hand. That did nothing for me as I never had a problem going to sleep to begin with. The OTC stuff would knock me out for 8 hours solid. I wouldn't even get up to urinate, but I felt groggy til lunch, so that was no benefit. I just accepted I must be getting enough sleep because I am never tired and do not take naps, even though I have plenty of free time to take them if I desired.

I think you are correct Mulligan. If you only sleep for six hours, but you are not tired or groggy the next day, then I believe your body is telling you that you only need six hours, and all is well. If you choose to lie awake for a few hours that is probably fine, although not necessary. It means you have extra hours in the day to enjoy your ER and take on some new hobbies. That's not so bad!

Post here when I can't sleep as evidenced by the time.:)

It doesn't happen often so I don't obsess about it. Usually I'm up at 6 or 7 but two days ago I didn't wake up until 9.

One of the luxuries of retirement.:dance:

I think you are correct Mulligan. If you only sleep for six hours, but you are not tired or groggy the next day, then I believe your body is telling you that you only need six hours, and all is well. If you choose to lie awake for a few hours that is probably fine, although not necessary. It means you have extra hours in the day to enjoy your ER and take on some new hobbies. That's not so bad!

Me too. 6, occasionally 7, hours is a full night's sleep for me. I'm refreshed and NOT groggy during the day. Of course, when I can't get those 6 hours of sleep during my insomnia periods, that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom