What toothpaste do you like?

Sensodyne ProNamel, but not for sensitive teeth per se.

I won’t use any toothpaste with stannous fluoride, after I realized it was turning my teeth yellow or worse. I got tired of my dentist telling me my teeth were badly stained for cleanings even though I was brushing two-three times a day with Crest ProHealth (with stannous fluoride) :mad:...

Same thing happened with my teeth. My dentist spent some time removing the stains caused by Crest Prohealth. Apparently some percent (claimed as less than 3% by Crest) experience staining, which is reversible. The culprits are stannous fluoride and cetylpyridinium chloride. So if you use Crest Prohealth, watch for staining. The benefits of stannous fluoride are significant though- it fights gingivitis, can reverse early caries, and reduce sensitivity. It is superior to sodium fluoride. Now I alternate with Crest Prohealth and a prescription 5000 ppm sodium fluoride toothpaste.

FWIW, I was older when I learned that you should not rinse your mouth after brushing, since it washes away any fluoride from the toothpaste. Wish I knew that earlier.

FWIW, I was older when I learned that you should not rinse your mouth after brushing, since it washes away any fluoride from the toothpaste. Wish I knew that earlier.

I want to use an antibacterial mouthwash as directed (after brushing) because brushing reduces the biofilm and helps the mouthwash work. Antiseptic mouthwashes like Listerine are better at getting through biofilm, but you're still supposed to use them after brushing, and both mouthwashes probably wash away fluoride. (Here's a comparison of biofilm penetration between antiseptic mouthwash and non-alcoholic antibacterial mouthwash which contains CPC.)

I could brush, use mouthwash, and brush again, but my mouthwash claims a certain number of hours of protection so I'm thinking I shouldn't brush away the mouthwash. I decided to make sure I brush three times a day and use the mouthwash twice per day. I'm still thinking about tweaking this system. Maybe I'll wait 30 minutes before using the mouthwash for one of the two times I use it per day.

I don't think any of the fluoride mouthwashes claim to be antibacterial.

Last edited:
I use whatever toothpaste was on sale, and use a fluoride mouthwash at night.
I like Toms natural, but it is never on sale. I guess it could be my BTD purchase! :)

This says sodium lauryl sulfate could cause canker sores.

Are Any Toothpaste Ingredients Dangerous to Your Health?

I have sensitive teeth, and a hygienist once told me I could get some extra fluoride on them simply by not rinsing after spitting out my toothpaste. So I tried it, rather than buy some more expensive toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Ended up getting two canker sores, one of which was quite painful and took almost two weeks to heal. Don't recall ever having any before. DH also says toothpaste with SLS gave him canker sores, and that he hasn't had one since switching to a non-SLS formula.

Aim or UltraBrite from Dollartree. You get the large 5.5 or 6 oz for a buck. I do get canker sores in my mouth occasionally so will have to check the label for SLS. Hydrogen peroxide mouthwash takes care of the problem quickly.

My dentist gives our crest pro health. Wonder if he is trying to make sure I come back??

I us a tiny dab of low-abrasive formula, Colgate Cavity Protection, along with baking soda, then follow with a fluoride rinse. The toothpaste is just for a bit of flavor. My teeth have always been sensitive and are showing signs of abrasion, so I've stopped using gritty whitening toothpaste and am also skipping the polishing at the dentist.

It seems rather shocking how abrasive some toothpastes are. Seems like they could cause some damage, especially if you have soft teeth and use an electric toothbrush.

https://www.williamsonperio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Toothpaste-Abrasiveness-Ranked-by-RDA.pdf

Attachments

• toothpaste_abrasiveness.jpg
    toothpaste_abrasiveness.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 69
My teeth became incredibly sensitive at one time. I tried using Sensodyne and didn't get any relief. I did some research and found a Japanese toothpaste (Apagard) that has hydroxyapatite. The sensitivity was gone in a couple of days.

Colgate Total (Gel, not paste). I may buy a different Colgate if there is a really good sale but it has to be gel, not paste.

I grew up drinking naturally fluorodated water and that combined with my genes has given me pretty good teeth e.g. first filling when I was in my 20's. I have all my teeth including wisdoms and have never had a root canal or anything beyond the odd filling. I do have sensitivity and have found Colgate sensitive works well at a much lower price than Sensodyne. I use a CPC containing mouth rinse at night after flossing and brushing and my gums seem stable with less tartar buildup.

I want to use an antibacterial mouthwash as directed (after brushing) because brushing reduces the biofilm and helps the mouthwash work. Antiseptic mouthwashes like Listerine are better at getting through biofilm, but you're still supposed to use them after brushing, and both mouthwashes probably wash away fluoride. (Here's a comparison of biofilm penetration between antiseptic mouthwash and non-alcoholic antibacterial mouthwash which contains CPC.)

I could brush, use mouthwash, and brush again, but my mouthwash claims a certain number of hours of protection so I'm thinking I shouldn't brush away the mouthwash. I decided to make sure I brush three times a day and use the mouthwash twice per day. I'm still thinking about tweaking this system. Maybe I'll wait 30 minutes before using the mouthwash for one of the two times I use it per day.

I don't think any of the fluoride mouthwashes claim to be antibacterial.

Here's a claim that stannous fluoride is antibacterial. https://www.dentalcare.com/en-us/professional-education/ce-courses/ce410/stannous-fluoride

Last edited:

I won’t use any toothpaste with stannous fluoride, after I realized it was turning my teeth yellow or worse. I got tired of my dentist telling me my teeth were badly stained for cleanings even though I was brushing two-three times a day with Crest ProHealth (with stannous fluoride) :mad:...

Interesting. The toothpaste I mentioned above (brand name Fluoridex) IS 0.63% SnF2 which provides 0.5% as Fl. If any tooth paste were going to stain my teeth, I'd assume this one would. Dentist indicates I have no serious staining issues though my teeth are far from "Hollywood" white. I have to assume that those who observe staining with SnF2 are somehow pre-disposed to staining in some fashion. Then again, I'm sure it's another YMMV situation.

I read the staining can be brushed away. I think my system will be to brush twice a day with stannous fluoride toothpaste and once with sodium fluoride toothpaste. Or maybe I'll wait for evidence of staining first.

I have a sensitive mouth (not so much my teeth but my mouth--I get canker sores) and I find Sensodyne helps avoid the canker sores so that is what I use.

My hygienist gave me a tip--she says to floss first to get rid of particles of food, then rinse and then brush. I have to rinse after brushing also. I was doing it the opposite--I was brushing first then flossing.

I think my Waterpik instructions says you can do either one first. I floss first so I can brush fluoride on all surfaces of my teeth. I don't want trapped food shielding my teeth from fluoride. The ADA agrees with Waterpik:

https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/floss

Should I brush or floss first?
Either way is acceptable as long as you do a thorough job. Some people like to floss before brushing to better ensure that any material between teeth is swept out of the mouth. Others prefer to first clean their mouth by brushing before working with floss between their teeth. However, those who brush their teeth and skip flossing because they think their mouth feels clean or are short on time or tired and postpone flossing for some later time are likely missing out because flossing may never happen.

They have a mouthwash with this "feature" as well , in case teeth aren't stained enough :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom