What toothpaste do you like?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not really crazy about my toothpaste anymore since they reformulated it*. . . (Colgate Total).

What does everyone like?

*It was changed last year I think.

Mint toothpaste burns my tongue but not as bad as when I was coming off fennel flavored toothpaste several years ago. I prefer the fennel but I'm using Colgate Total now for the stannous fluoride. I read that it took a long time to figure out how to make stannous fluoride taste good, but I guess sodium fluoride still tastes better. I'm currently coming off Colgate Optic White. Colgate Total tastes fantastic in comparison.

Colgate Total tastes fantastic in comparison.

Wow I think this tastes pretty bad but more importantly it might why I have had some canker sores (never a thing for me).

All toothpastes are the same

Colgate Total was changed because the main effective ingredient caused cancer. Oops.
I go Aim and/or Pepsodent.
Both are found at Kroger on the bottom shelf for $1.

Colgate Total was changed because the main effective ingredient caused cancer. Oops.

What doesn't cause cancer? I mean really it is not like I was going to eat it by the tube. It might be some other ingredient that is bothering me. IDK.

Quick search tells me it can't be the flouride so IDK what it is.

Last edited:
Wow I think this tastes pretty bad but more importantly it might why I have had some canker sores (never a thing for me).

This says sodium lauryl sulfate could cause canker sores.

Are Any Toothpaste Ingredients Dangerous to Your Health?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
SLS is called a detergent, but it has little cleaning power. Instead, it creates foam to help circulate the toothpaste into nooks and crannies. Some people may get canker sores or experience peeling of mouth tissue in as little as one use. If you’re among them, look for SLS-free or “non-foaming” toothpaste.

After many years of a Trader Joe's brand, I blew some dough and paid $5 at sprouts for a couple of cinnamon flavored tubes. They are adequate but nothing special.

Arm & Hammer.

I use Crest Gum Detoxify. Not for the LBYM crowd.:D

Since chemotherapy and the neuropathy it caused I can't tolerate anything mint flavored in my mouth. The toothpastes I use now are children's varieties, strawberry and fruit flavored. Not great tasting, but then my taste hasn't returned to normal either.

Crest, Colgate, Aim - I bulk purchase to stock up whenever the sale price gets into the ridiculously cheap range. They all contain the same percentage active ingredient (sodium fluoride).

Colgate Total and floss after every meal. And don't forget to brush the upper part of your mouth and tongue!

What doesn't cause cancer? I mean really it is not like I was going to eat it by the tube. It might be some other ingredient that is bothering me. IDK.

Quick search tells me it can't be the flouride so IDK what it is.

Joe Jackson commented on this 38 years ago.

My dentist provides (sells) a special high fluoride tooth paste (5000ppm or 0.5
%.) I't pricy (about $20) but a tube lasts for 3 months. It's to treat a condition. Seems to be effective as the numbers are greatly improved - forget exactly what it's called, but is measured for each tooth (numbers like 1 to 5 with high numbers being bad.) YMMV

Sensodyne ProNamel, but not for sensitive teeth per se.

I won’t use any toothpaste with stannous fluoride, after I realized it was turning my teeth yellow or worse. I got tired of my dentist telling me my teeth were badly stained for cleanings even though I was brushing two-three times a day with Crest ProHealth (with stannous fluoride) :mad:...

But despite the positive, anti-bacterial qualities of stannous fluoride, it can -- and according to consumer comments often does -- have a serious side-effect: it stains teeth, causing them to turn yellow or brown.

In fact, if you read the fine print on the back of the box your Crest Pro-Health came in, you'll see a disclaimer:

Products containing stannous fluoride may produce staining of the teeth. Adequate tooth brushing may prevent these stains which are not harmful or permanent and may be removed by your dentist.

Last edited:
I buy whatever is cheapest.

Sensodyne. Stopped my teeth sensitivities quickly. Prime consideration.

We have used Tom’s for several years and recently a well respected local dentist told us he uses Pepsodent. Started using it. Sodium fluoride and 88 cents at Dollar Tree. $1.00 at Walmart. Compared to almost $5.00 for Tom’s.

Back
Top Bottom