What type of sunscreen do you use?

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF - 30 for running errands. This does have a white cast that I have to massage.

If involved in outdoor activities I use at least 50 spf (i.e. CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen for body, on the face). The body sunscreen has a very white cast. There is a tinted (small size) for the face, but it is more expensive for less product.

I use Aveeno hydrate and protect.
It’s the only sunscreen that feels more like lotion on my skin.
I also wear a hat and UPF clothes if I’m going to be out in the sun for any length of time.
I’ve had melanoma so I don’t screw around with too much sun exposure.

+1 I am allergic to many products, including Neutrogena sunscreen which caused painful blisters. Aveeno hydrate and protect is the only sunscreen brand which I now use. They have the large bottle with bump for non-face and a smaller 2 oz tubes for face, both SPF 60.

FDA hasn’t allowed more advanced sun protections in decades. Will have to dig up articles.

I bought some in New Zealand though now it’s 4 years old.

Other target is sold at Marks & Spencer in the UK, as opposed to their stores in a few other countries.

France has effective products under the Roche-Posay brand but they’re expensive.

You will pay more but get it In some Europe or Oceania.

I avoid using when I can because I tan and don’t burn too easily. I wear a Hat witH a wide enough brim to cover back of my neck, most problematic area. Also no tank tops for extended periods outside.

My forearms darken if I drive for extended periods though.
Similar. Don't burn easily. Really only twice in my life after full day on water without protection and then only on top of shoulders. Usually use cheapest 50/60 on face/ears/forehead so Walmart or Target brand. DW gets samples of the Roche-Posay stuff from work so usually have little tubes of that for nose. Have been wearing a Tilley hat now for several years.

+1 I am allergic to many products, including Neutrogena sunscreen which caused painful blisters. Aveeno hydrate and protect is the only sunscreen brand which I now use. They have the large bottle with bump for non-face and a smaller 2 oz tubes for face, both SPF 60.

I get both of those and then I get a smaller 3 oz one to carry in my purse if out somewhere like the zoo.
Of course now my family prefers it too and it’s expensive!
I don’t care though as long as they use it.

None.

Do spent good bit of time in sun if it shows up in winter. Shirtless mostly in spring fall. Stay out of sun between 12 and 3 in summer, before and after that time shorts and no no shirt.

After consulting the EWG safe sunscreen website I have been using Native SPF 30 and Cerave SPF 30 on my face. I've had 3 basal cells (and Mohs) on my face, so I use a daily 30+ sunscreen and wear a hat when outside. My dermatologist says anything 30 and above is enough. I very rarely wear sunscreen on my body. If I'm at the pool or the beach I wear a rash guard (even in the water) and stay under and umbrella when out of the water. I'm torn between worrying about the chemicals in sunscreen vs. skin cancer....I also think it's good for you to get a bit of natural Vitamin D from the sun vs. supplement.

I don't use any. They feel gross.
Most that I tried do feel gross/greasy/etc or smell (except) Neutrogena spray... And it works too... It's unnoticeable (to me) and sometimes I have to stop and "think", did I already apply it?

Most that I tried do feel gross/greasy/etc or smell (except) Neutrogena spray... And it works too... It's unnoticeable (to me) and sometimes I have to stop and "think", did I already apply it?

Now that I am retired and outside more maybe I should rethink it and try that one. Does it stain your shirt if you over spray? Right I know spray your hands first but I was thinking of putting it on arms too.

Another vote for the Neutrogena Beach Defense. It’s available in a stick and goes on much nicer than the lotions. And I don’t have to wash my hands 3 times after applying it. So easy to put on, I’m more likely to use it.

Now that I am retired and outside more maybe I should rethink it and try that one. Does it stain your shirt if you over spray? Right I know spray your hands first but I was thinking of putting it on arms too.
I use it on my arms, hands, face (close your eyes when applying:), and legs too (if I'm wearing shorts). No staining. Note, a little mist spray goes a long way.

Last edited:
Neutrogena SPF 55 for us.

They are on sale at Costco this month.

+1 I tend to burn just thinking about going outside in the sun so I dress appropriately even though it is a bit hot and also use sunscreen. I guess being a lifeguard at the beach wasn't such a good idea even though I tried to stay covered while on the tower. Sunscreen was not conveniently available until the late 70s . I accumulated and had treated (Nitrogen burn and "Blue Light") or surgically removed well over 500 cancer and precancer area over the past 30 years since then. Pretty much a revolving door at the dermatologist. My understanding is that SPF over 50 is not that much more effective and even 30 SPF is almost as good.

Cheers!

Face -Oil of Olay as it's not greasy or gross as "real stuff." Otherwise, whatever SPF3-50 sweat and waterproof is reasonably priced. Probably should use it a bit more often in daily life but always my whole body when paddling and usually my arms and head when cycling.

My dermatologist doesn't use sunscreen but only goes out for short times. He tries to stay in the shade. I try to use protective clothing or a sun hat but use Avon Skin So Soft for hours in the sun. I don't use it for short times.

I used to be one of those tanning bed people when young so I got lots of damage anyway. It helped combat the cold dark winters somehow.

As it happens today I ran into someone I had not seen in awhile and they informed me having a tan made me look "lazy". . . I was astonished. I wonder what they will say when I have been retired longer?!

Only reason I have been trying to improve my health by getting more exercise . . .

Here at home (Southern MD) I wear my Japenese gardner hat with a rash guard long sleeve shirt. Same for when we are on the beach in St Croix in February each year. I try to almost always stay under the umbrella. When I am umpiring a game, I use bullfrog SPF 50. It is a combo sunscreen/bug repellant.

Born in the early 60's, Sunbelt raised before there was "sunscreen". Fair skinned, hair thinning for years before I went full Brynner.

Seeing the effects now-a few squamous spots removed, and several questionable spots excised (but ultimately benign). All on face, scalp, hands and arms.

My strategy now is long sleeves and a full brim hat when outside the house. Zinc cream on face and hands (usually WalMart Equate) when on a bicycle. When offshore fishing, it's all that plus Bullfrog on the legs.

The zinc cream works as well for me as anything else. Yes, it starts out pasty white, but when it disappears I believe I have it worked in deep enough to be effective. I don't like the "spray on" stuff, find I end up rubbing in it anyway.

When I cut out eating vegetable/seed oils...I stopped burning. You can also make a spray of niacinimide/caffeine/aspirin...dissolve in water ---put a tiny drop of vodka to help keep it fresh. Spray on face/body...so good.
2400mg B3

600mg Caffeine

600mg Apirin (pure powder-no additives)

Vodka (1/2tsp:confused:)

Supposedly avoiding seed oils makes a huge difference in your tendency to sunburn. I haven’t used sunscreen for a while. On the other hand I don’t get much full sun exposure as I don’t sunbathe, wear hats, wear long sleeves and pants during the day, usually am not outside during the strongest sun hours unless traveling, etc.

When I cut out eating vegetable/seed oils...I stopped burning.
Funny - I posted mine before reading yours.

Last edited:
I avoid them most of the time, as they feel gross to my skin. I do wear a cowboy hat and avoid the sun mostly.
I wear long pants when mowing and a shirt as it takes almost an hour.

I used to lifeguard when young, and would get incredibly dark, while using sunscreen that later was claimed to cause cancer. Thankfully so far no cancer.

Our state banned the use of many suntan lotions. The key ingredients banned include oxybenzone and octinoxate IIRC. Apparently, these ingredients have been suggested to damage corals. Some scientists suggest these ingredients are also harmful to humans, but the data is apparently not conclusive. In any case, I simply stay out of the sun now, for the most part. My dermatologist (before or after she removes yet another RK) compliments me on my sun care. :cool: (I guess it's my lack of a bikini line:LOL:) She is very thorough!:blush:

What's wrong with this picture. I move to Hawaii and have to stay out of the sun.:facepalm:

I buy whatever is cheapest with at least a 30 SPF

I do spend a lot of time floating on the lake or in our community pool. Vitamin D.

I’ve never been to a dermatologist. Maybe I should?

Last edited:
Equate Sunblock

I use the least expensive 50 SPF I can find. Just bought a 16oz bottle of Equate(Walmart generic) for $8.88.

Haven't checked this recently, but a year or so ago Consumer Reports rated Equate VERY high. We're avid flatwater kayakers, and use this stuff regularly.

Inspired by this thread, I wore some today. I would say the kind I use is "expired" though.

Back
Top Bottom