What type of sunscreen do you use?

Anything you put on your skin has the potential to be absorbed into the body. I try not to put on my skin anything I couldn't eat. I start sunbathing in March to get a base tan, which protects me from exposure in the summer (usually while doing yard work). I try not to get more than a little pink, and I haven't had sunburn in 20 years or more.

I don't eat seed oils; I can't say if that made me less likely to burn. Lycopene has been shown in some studies to protect against sunburn (SPF 2 at best), so I eat some tomato paste every day.

What the heck does this have to do with early retirement?

Really? Sunscreen recommendations?

What the heck does this have to do with early retirement? Really? Sunscreen recommendations?

Highly pertinent to this forum.

Many of us early retired folks like to spend time outdoors and don't want to risk a melanoma turning ER into ED (no, not that definition of ED, the terminal one). :)

Highly pertinent to this forum.

Many of us early retired folks like to spend time outdoors and don't want to risk a melanoma turning ER into ED (no, not that definition of ED, the terminal one). :)

A terminal case of ED? One shudders to think.:blush:

But, yes, sun protection for "retired" skin is very important. We keep our retired bodies in our skin. Skin is our largest organ and deserves protection and care. I wish I'd paid more attention to my skin when I was young and still w*rking. YMMV

At my first visit to a dermatologist, he solemnly advised me to always wear SPF 100+, even if just driving a car. I thought he was joking, as I never noticed anything with SPF 100+. But he was serious and handed me a sample size of Neutrogena sunscreen spf 100+. So I now use that or Walgreens spf 110 for face and neck, and Neutrogena spf 50 for arms/back of hands.

After 22 years of testing, this one works best for me (2 years testing):
https://www.neutrogena.com/products...reen-stick-broad-spectrum-spf-50/6810274.html
It won't fade after 1 hour in the water and I'll only very lightly tan. I apply it on the face, neck, head, ears, hands and lower thighs before surfing + 50SPF lipstick on the lips, nose, ears. I always wear a UV protection long sleeve shirt (when no wetsuits are needed).
I've tried many creams and sprays. This stick is the best IMHO.
Only drawbacks:
- you'll look like a ghost
- it's fairly hard to remove (even with soap)
- it won't last as long as a cream or spray (i.e. you'll have to buy some, more often)
- it fails Yuka (see below)
Some of you guys are right; most sunscreens sold in the US contains carcinogenic components and are banned in the EU. Download those Apps:
https://www.clearya.com
https://yuka.io/en/
Scan cosmetics, and you will see... Even the one above, it passes Clearya but fails Yuka. I may switch to this one:
https://bluelizardsunscreen.com/products/blue-lizard-sensitive-mineral-sunscreen-stick-spf-50
which passes both.
Also as some recommended, if you live in southern States and do lot's of outdoor activities, get a yearly full body skin cancer screening with a Dermatologist.
My DPC doctor recommended Efudex https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3723/efudex-topical/details which is very popular in Australia. It did work for me and removed some dark spots which were benign (but could have evolved badly). Just Google it to learn more.
Cheers,
surfFL

Supposedly avoiding seed oils makes a huge difference in your tendency to sunburn. I haven’t used sunscreen for a while. On the other hand I don’t get much full sun exposure as I don’t sunbathe, wear hats, wear long sleeves and pants during the day, usually am not outside during the strongest sun hours unless traveling, etc.

Funny - I posted mine before reading yours.

I lay out almost daily for 15/20 minutes each side...LOL

with my part time job of installing windows, I wear long pants and long sleeves and a hat I have tried putting sunscreen on my face but is just sweats off...too much of PITA to reapply it all the time I gave up on sunscreen years ago.

I don't use any. I got skin cancer when I was 23, and I believe it was because I slathered on sunscreen while hiking. I say that because there are demonstrable links between some sunscreens and skin cancer (the opposite of their intended effect). That was 40 years ago, and I'm sure sunscreens have come a long way since then. Or at least I hope they have (some of the cancer-sunscreen links are more recent).

In any event, I don't trust them. I wear a hat to protect my bald spot, but I don't use sunscreen. I like getting sun. Most people don't get enough.

From what I've heard, it is not sun exposure itself that is the real risk; it is sunburn. If you avoid getting sunburned, you are avoiding the main risk. I don't stay out long enough to get sunburned. I suppose if I did, I'd use some type of a sunscreen, but I don't find myself in those situations.
Well cancer is part of it and important I think. But the suns damage is cumulative and does not go away.

See these leather skinned sun worshippers. Not a good look in my opinion. But they think it desirable I guess.

Point is cancer is worth avoiding but so is looking old before your time.

with my part time job of installing windows, I wear long pants and long sleeves and a hat I have tried putting sunscreen on my face but is just sweats off...too much of PITA to reapply it all the time I gave up on sunscreen years ago.

Yearly trips to the dermatologist to have spots frozen off is a PITA as well. And MOHS surgery is even worse. Wish I'd known (or listened) back in the day.

I was also told by my dermatologist to buy new sunscreen every year, even if the old bottle is not used up. Supposedly, it degrades over time and is not as protective.

I buy whatever is cheapest with at least a 30 SPF

I do spend a lot of time floating on the lake or in our community pool. Vitamin D.

I’ve never been to a dermatologist. Maybe I should?

DH had a small freckle on his bicep, which rarely gets any sun because he almost always wears a long-sleeved shirt outside. The freckle did not show the typical ABCDE signs of a melanoma. But a dermatologist noticed it during a screening, took a sample, and it turned out to be melanoma.

Yes, get a skin cancer screening!

DH had a small freckle on his bicep, which rarely gets any sun because he almost always wears a long-sleeved shirt outside. The freckle did not show the typical ABCDE signs of a melanoma. But a dermatologist noticed it during a screening, took a sample, and it turned out to be melanoma.

Yes, get a skin cancer screening!

Our skin doc examines DW and me (same visit, so we sit in the office in our underwear - briefs for both.) She's never asked us to remove more, but a local doctor friend says we should have the doc examine the okole. Neither DW nor I have ever worn a thong bathing suit nor gone commando outside, so "mooning" the doc just seems like too much - unless she asks. Yet, supposedly, melanoma can start almost anyplace whether sun exposed or not. Should we insist on a "true" whole body exam?

Our skin doc examines DW and me (same visit, so we sit in the office in our underwear - briefs for both.) She's never asked us to remove more, but a local doctor friend says we should have the doc examine the okole. Neither DW nor I have ever worn a thong bathing suit nor gone commando outside, so "mooning" the doc just seems like too much - unless she asks. Yet, supposedly, melanoma can start almost anyplace whether sun exposed or not. Should we insist on a "true" whole body exam?

I’ve had melanoma and get checked regularly but only the skin- including my head. Not any internal exam although my dentist does check my mouth.
I knew a woman who had mucosal melanoma and I mentioned it to my dermatologist. She said that type of melanoma rarely gets discovered in time for viable treatments.
I stopped worrying about it after that. I figured it’s like worrying about whether or not you will get in a fatal car crash. It certainly could happen but you can’t really know if or when.

I would ask your dermatologist at your next appointment though. There’s always new research and treatments coming out so you never know.

I’ve had melanoma and get checked regularly but only the skin- including my head. Not any internal exam although my dentist does check my mouth.
I knew a woman who had mucosal melanoma and I mentioned it to my dermatologist. She said that type of melanoma rarely gets discovered in time for viable treatments.
I stopped worrying about it after that. I figured it’s like worrying about whether or not you will get in a fatal car crash. It certainly could happen but you can’t really know if or when.

I would ask your dermatologist at your next appointment though. There’s always new research and treatments coming out so you never know.

Right. External only. Not talking "internal." The issue is what's covered by underwear. And places the sun never shines.

You and DW could examine each other and if anything new shows up, have the doc check it out. Make it a date night with a nice bottle of wine or something.

You and DW could examine each other and if anything new shows up, have the doc check it out. Make it a date night with a nice bottle of wine or something.

Sounds very romantic. :smitten: I'll tell you how it goes - well, probably not.

Seriously, I "diagnosed" a basal cell carcinoma on DW's cheek (the other one:D) and showed it to the doctor. She agreed and we're trying to find a good MOHS surgeon right now.

Last edited:
Seriously, I "diagnosed" a basal cell carcinoma on DW's cheek (the other one:D) and showed it to the doctor. She agreed and we're trying to find a good MOHS surgeon right now.

Good catch! I noticed a suspicious spot on DH's forehead, however for some number of months he insisted that it was just some irritation from wearing hats, and it was getting better. And then it wasn't, and then it was, etc. Finally he had a screening and it was indeed found to be a BCC. The MOHS took care of it. His forehead swelled up like a Klingon's after the procedure, but the end result was barely noticeable scar.

I seem to have a little more leverage now for sharing health-related observations with DH.

Good catch! I noticed a suspicious spot on DH's forehead, however for some number of months he insisted that it was just some irritation from wearing hats, and it was getting better. And then it wasn't, and then it was, etc. Finally he had a screening and it was indeed found to be a BCC. The MOHS took care of it. His forehead swelled up like a Klingon's after the procedure, but the end result was barely noticeable scar.

I seem to have a little more leverage now for sharing health-related observations with DH.

Heh, heh, funny how that w*rks! Glad you caught it. I hope DW will appreciate my "playing doctor" now that I've "proved" my expertise.

Everybody: USE THAT SUNSCREEN!

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning European and Asian sunscreens. They have better UVA filters than sunscreens in the U.S. and that alone is worth it to me to seek them out. I buy them online from European and Asian shops that deliver to the US. La Roche-Posay makes a whole line of them with the latest UVA filter that they are calling UVMune 400 (covers the longest UVA rays that other filters don't touch). I've been using that one for outdoor vacations. Works great. For everyday use, I prefer the Japanese and Korean sunscreens that are more cosmetically elegant with lots of anti-aging ingredients built in. Some examples are Beauty of Joseon and Skin Aqua moisture milk.
European stores I have gotten sunscreens from: CareToBeauty and SweetCare.
Asian stores: YesStyle and Stylevana.

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning European and Asian sunscreens. They have better UVA filters than sunscreens in the U.S. and that alone is worth it to me to seek them out. I buy them online from European and Asian shops that deliver to the US. La Roche-Posay makes a whole line of them with the latest UVA filter that they are calling UVMune 400 (covers the longest UVA rays that other filters don't touch). I've been using that one for outdoor vacations. Works great. For everyday use, I prefer the Japanese and Korean sunscreens that are more cosmetically elegant with lots of anti-aging ingredients built in. Some examples are Beauty of Joseon and Skin Aqua moisture milk.

I mentioned that FDA hasn’t approved any new formulations in at least a couple of decades.

I’ve bought overseas sunscreens, a few years ago in New Zealand.

I'm not suggesting you are incorrect about Euro and Asian sunscreen advantages (as I have no data of my own) but where do you find the data which indicates their superiority? I'd be interested if for no other reason than that we're pretty much the sunscreen capitol of the USA. YMMV

I love the smell of sunscreen whenever I walk the beach at Waikiki. It brings back fond memories of when I was young and handsome and looked good with my shirt off. Well, young anyway.

Back
Top Bottom