What type of sunscreen do you use?

This article from the Environmental Working Group summarizes studies that have been done comparing US to European sunscreens. It's a good starting point for understanding the differences. Note that Asian sunscreens use a lot of the same UVA filters that European sunscreens do.

When researching sunscreens, I like to type them into whatsinmyjar.com to look at the ingredients and percentage of ingredients more closely.

Also, I have attached a chart of sunscreen filters that show you what spectrum of UVB/UVA rays they cover.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 10.22.54 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 10.22.54 PM.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 17
Well cancer is part of it and important I think. But the suns damage is cumulative and does not go away.

See these leather skinned sun worshippers. Not a good look in my opinion. But they think it desirable I guess.

Point is cancer is worth avoiding but so is looking old before your time.

I just returned from a trip to the dermatologist, where he froze off 6 "pre-cancerous" blips on my bald spot. Although I understand that "pre-cancerous" is not really true in the vast majority of cases (i.e, they don't actually turn into cancer), some of them can. I don't need to be taking chances.

So, I'm rethinking this issue and revisiting the thread for recommendations. Perhaps I've been too rigid on the whole "Vitamin D/sun exposure-is-good, you-only-need-to-protect-against-sunburn" thing. I need to get better at wearing a hat consistently, and I should grab a tube of sunscreen for when I'm out in the sun for long periods.

Yes, wear a hat, and if you do use a sunscreen, use one with mostly zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is a physical (mineral) sunscreen, not a chemical sunscreen that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. Also, they are now finding that diet can be an important factor affecting your vulnerability to skin cancer. If you consume a lot of polyunsatured fats (seed oils, or jug oils), your risk goes way up. There are many other good reasons to avoid the industrial seed oils also. I got rid of all of them from my house years ago.

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.co...cer-risk-and-high-polyunsaturated-fat-intake/

Yes, wear a hat, and if you do use a sunscreen, use one with mostly zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is a physical (mineral) sunscreen, not a chemical sunscreen that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. Also, they are now finding that diet can be an important factor affecting your vulnerability to skin cancer. If you consume a lot of polyunsatured fats (seed oils, or jug oils), your risk goes way up. There are many other good reasons to avoid the industrial seed oils also. I got rid of all of them from my house years ago.

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.co...cer-risk-and-high-polyunsaturated-fat-intake/

Wow, digging around on that sight, I found this:

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.co...heimer-associated-with-skin-cancer-diagnoses/

Maybe I'll quit using sun screen and go get a sunburn. There are lots more treatments for skin cancer than Alz. Disease. Very strange and very YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom