What type of sunscreen do you use?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
I just read an article by a dermatologist that those containing zinc oxide offered the most protection. Helioplex was also highly recommended. I use Neutrogena zinc based. Only drawback is you have to really rub it in or your face has a white palor to to it LOL

I like the Elta line. In florida a hoodie is not gonna work...

I use Aveeno hydrate and protect.
It’s the only sunscreen that feels more like lotion on my skin.
I also wear a hat and UPF clothes if I’m going to be out in the sun for any length of time.
I’ve had melanoma so I don’t screw around with too much sun exposure.

I use the least expensive 50 SPF I can find. Just bought a 16oz bottle of Equate(Walmart generic) for $8.88.

I use anything with a high spf. Something at or above 50. The main thing after that is that it’s not oily. Most of the ones labeled “sport” are dry. On my nose, I use a zinc oxide product because I had some cancer removed and don’t want that to happen again if I can help it. Thankfully they got it all and minimal scarring.

I typically wear a large hat and cover most of my skin with light clothing, but when I do use sunscreen it is always zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide based. I'm not a big fan of the organic compounds sunscreens, since I don't trust them to not be carcinogenic. I figure why protect my skin only to have cancer within my internal organs. :LOL:

Neutrogena Beach Defense 70 works well.

I just had a pre-cancerous spot frozen off on m forehead/hairline a few months back.

I'll be the sunscreen nanny, but there is only so much you can control. A good hat and sunscreen.

Last edited:
I don't use any. I got skin cancer when I was 23, and I believe it was because I slathered on sunscreen while hiking. I say that because there are demonstrable links between some sunscreens and skin cancer (the opposite of their intended effect). That was 40 years ago, and I'm sure sunscreens have come a long way since then. Or at least I hope they have (some of the cancer-sunscreen links are more recent).

In any event, I don't trust them. I wear a hat to protect my bald spot, but I don't use sunscreen. I like getting sun. Most people don't get enough.

From what I've heard, it is not sun exposure itself that is the real risk; it is sunburn. If you avoid getting sunburned, you are avoiding the main risk. I don't stay out long enough to get sunburned. I suppose if I did, I'd use some type of a sunscreen, but I don't find myself in those situations.

Last edited:
The key to any sunscreen is to re-apply every 1 1/2 - 2 hours or so.

I use Banana Boat Sport SPF30. Yes, 30. I like to get some color. Just got back from Phoenix and I'm getting comments from my friends, "looks like you got some sun." On the first day there I put my sunscreen on and laid out by the pool with only shorts on. I did 25 minutes lying on my back and 25 minutes lying on my stomach. This was around 10am - 11am. Perfect amount of color. No burning.

Subsequently, whenever I went outside I was sure to put sunscreen on and re-apply about every 90 minutes. I was a little bit pink on day 2 but by day 4 it turned from pink to a light brown tan.

I live and play outside in Florida. Walmart brand Equate Sport Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, was highly rated a few years back by CR. It is cheap and stays on for a few hours.

I use the least expensive 50 SPF I can find. Just bought a 16oz bottle of Equate(Walmart generic) for $8.88.

Bingo!

I will often get a spray, if they are on sale. But always use a cream on my face and ears. Having 2 melanomas and several basal cells will make you careful. No fun getting both ears torn apart like you were in a fight with Michael Spinks.

I am getting better now in older years. I love being outside and that's the issue, remember to use sunscreen. Have had skin cancer: basal, squamous, and melanoma. So the dermatologist is a regular visit. I dislike the zinc type, hate the pasty white and it spreads to clothes or glasses. I like the clear sprays best, and regular sunscreen lotions next. Usually SPF 30-50. Broad spectrum is a key word to look for for best protection. I'm not set on specific brands, just look for broad spectrum and SPF 30 or higher; spray or lotion. Waterproof is nice, helps when sweating.

With Scandinavian heritage, I don't have the built in sun resistance or very good tanning. The main key for me is avoiding sunburn. Too much of sunburn when younger has caught up with me now. I spend a lot of time in shorts and t-shirt. Get plenty of vitamin D exposure. Also see dermatologist every 6 months for rest of my life.

I typically wear a large hat and cover most of my skin with light clothing, but when I do use sunscreen it is always zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide based. I'm not a big fan of the organic compounds sunscreens, since I don't trust them to not be carcinogenic. I figure why protect my skin only to have cancer within my internal organs. :LOL:

I agree. I generally avoid using sunscreen, except for a little bit of zinc oxide, maybe. Many of them can get into your bloodstream and potentially cause problems. I also use light clothing and a larger hat when I'm going to be out in the sun for a while. A little bit of sun exposure on bare skin is fine..........you just have to know when it is time to cover up, to avoid a burn.

FDA hasn’t allowed more advanced sun protections in decades. Will have to dig up articles.

I bought some in New Zealand though now it’s 4 years old.

Other target is sold at Marks & Spencer in the UK, as opposed to their stores in a few other countries.

France has effective products under the Roche-Posay brand but they’re expensive.

You will pay more but get it In some Europe or Oceania.

I avoid using when I can because I tan and don’t burn too easily. I wear a Hat witH a wide enough brim to cover back of my neck, most problematic area. Also no tank tops for extended periods outside.

My forearms darken if I drive for extended periods though.

I like the Elta line. In florida a hoodie is not gonna work...

Me too. My dermatologist recommended it. I use the face sunscreen, SPF 46. Excellent product. I use Banana Boat SPF 30 for most of my body. It’s not bad but the Elta MD is better.

I used to burn and peel constantly as a kid so I have a lot of accumulated damage. But once sunscreens became available I found SPF 30 "waterproof" sports lotions were sufficient to keep me protected. In the late 80s and through the 2000s I used to spend hours on the water windsurfing and 30 was all I needed. Same with cycling over the last 20 years. I spend many hours in the sun on my bike with my arms and legs exposed and SPF30 seems fine.

Fair skin, freckles, several pre cancerous spots removed and a family history skin cancer--I rarely stay in the sun too long. If I do go out or vacation in a sunny spot I use any high SPF, hypo allergenic sunscreen and add sun blocking clothing (UVskinz is a good brand)

Neutrogena 100+ for me... One can last a year or more. I've been using it for years now and it works really well. Not sticky and seems to last all day. I should have started using sunscreen many decades ago. Oh well, better late than never.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom