Who eats bacon?

But we also eat something that is local to the Cincinnati area called Goetta. Its a breakfast "meat" made with ground meat (pork, or sausage and beef), pin-head oats, onions, and spices.

I had never heard of goetta until moving to the Cincinnati area, but I've come to like it. Similar to scrapple, which uses cornmeal as the filler instead of oats.

Most of the goetta in the world is produced by a local company, which turns out over a million pounds of it per year.

Just some informative comments about nitrites/nitrates from Chris Kresser:
https://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon/

I think the problem is certain beloved foods make people think something must be wrong with them: coffee/caffeine, chocolate, eggs, cheese, bacon and ham. They get studied over and over again, always looking for a problem. These are traditional foods made the pretty much still the same way, although certainly in the case of big factory meat processing who knows what is happening there. So buy cured meats still made with traditional methods from a reputable supplier, or learn to make your own!

Other foods constantly get pushed as being healthy when they are anything but: fruit juices, highly processed breakfast cereals, margarine, highly processed seed oils. Lots of marketing dollars pushing those as “healthier” alternatives to traditional foods.

Oh, and don’t even get me started on the dietary advice to limit salt!

Interesting how the "studies" are always sponsored by the industry that makes the product. The bacons industry finds that bacon is good for you. The egg industry finds that eggs are good for you. The beef industry finds that red meat is good for you. Malarkey.

Caveat emptor. Enjoy your bacon sparingly. If you have heart risk factors, I'd never tough it.

I make my own goetta as well. A lot cheaper and you can tweak the recipe anyway you want. Gliers has gotten really expensive (what hasn't). You'd think it would cheaper than breakfast sausage since it has a lot of oats, which are cheaper than meat. But, aside from the butcher shops, Gliers and Queen City Sausage are about the only game in town as far as what you can get at the grocery store.

I had never heard of goetta until moving to the Cincinnati area, but I've come to like it. Similar to scrapple, which uses cornmeal as the filler instead of oats.

Most of the goetta in the world is produced by a local company, which turns out over a million pounds of it per year.

That's a lot of goetta!! When I buy I have started buying Queen city goetta instead. To me it has a better flavor. My kids dont live in this area but when they visit they usually pick up a few lbs.

A lot of talk about BLTs, you need to watch that lettuce! Only a little tongue in cheek.

Lettuce has 13 to 267 mg of Nitrates per 100 grams. Bacon, it has 380mcg* per 100grams. The lettuce has 34 to 702 times more Nitrates than the bacon.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-high-in-nitrates

* note micro vs milli

"your gut biome can break down nitrate into nitrite, which can cause health complications such as an increased risk of cancer. Nitrate is an inorganic, water-soluble chemical. Your body makes around 62 milligrams (mg) of nitrites a day, but the majority of nitrates come from your diet. On average a person living in the United states consumes 75 to 100 mg of nitrates a day."

Pick the food you want to get your poison from, I guess! :(

Did you continue to read what you linked?

“ While the association of nitrate with cured meats causes some to worry about their cancer-causing effects, other studies show that the nitrates found in vegetables may actually help reduce the risk of cancer. Studies suggest that eating foods rich in natural nitrates can help reduce your risk of a number of chronic health conditions, whereas eating foods high in added nitrates can cause health risks.”

We usually go all out for Sunday morning breakfast with bacon & eggs over english muffins or waffles (DW favorite). The left over bacon used in salads, turkey & bacon or peanut butter & bacon sandwiches.
Yummm

We usually go all out for Sunday morning breakfast with bacon & eggs over english muffins or waffles (DW favorite). The left over bacon used in salads, turkey & bacon or peanut butter & bacon sandwiches.
Yummm

PB&B yum. Haven't had one in years. Now you're gonna make me make one.:dance:

I definitely enjoy bacon but we rarely if ever buy it. Same for all processed meat and processed food in general.

I eat bacon maybe 5 or 6 times a year when we go to a particular local restaurant for breakfast. They have an amazing dish called "Puttin' on the Grits", which as you might have guessed is a large bowl of grits with any number of toppings that you pick from a list. For me, it's usually crumbled bacon, avocado slices, an over-easy egg, fresh jalapeno slices, and smoked gouda cheese.

They have an amazing dish called "Puttin' on the Grits", which as you might have guessed is a large bowl of grits with any number of toppings that you pick from a list. For me, it's usually crumbled bacon, avocado slices, an over-easy egg, fresh jalapeno slices, and smoked gouda cheese.

This is my favorite breakfast. Grits with butter, an over-easy egg, and crumbled bacon. Mash it all together with my folk and dig in.

Where is Koolau to talk about his pre-cooked bacon recommendations? :D

Sorry, late to the party. YES! pre-cooked bacon is the perfect food. No need for refrigeration (though I think the package tells you to refrigerate after opening.) You don't even (really) have to cook it (though I prefer it warm and the grease drained.) If I were going on a hiking trip, I'd take some BisQuick and a pkg. of pre-cooked bacon. A country boy can survive though YMMV.

Bacon!!! I love it, and cook a whole pound at a time, completely crispy (I use a bacon press). If I’m eating it (and not cooking with it) I sprinkle it liberally with salt. I also salt my potato chips. And my cookies. And my toast. (My entire family are salt fanatics). The joys of low blood pressure!

My medical condition recommends no processed meats because of the salt. Still, I’ll cheat and have bacon, ham and a few other treats from time to time. Before my medical situation changed, I’d have bacon once or twice a week when I went out for breakfast.
I buy Oscar Mayer Low Sodium bacon. A lot less salt. I only have 5 strips every Sunday made in my air fryer so the grease rolls off. A better alternative I think.

nope. many reasons: health, environment, workers, animals. the majority of the industry is owned by just 4 corporations. and now there are many tasty plant-based options.

bring on the hate.

Bacon substitute

I just read somewhere that earthworms could be a healthy substitute for bacon since it is 82% protein with out the added nitrates and even taste like bacon! Lol
Any takers?

I just read somewhere that earthworms could be a healthy substitute for bacon since it is 82% protein with out the added nitrates and even taste like bacon! Lol

Any takers?

This reminded me of a little poem John Hartford included in the liner notes of his first (self-titled) album.

The simple worm has five pairs of hearts
Stuffed inside his wormy parts
He falls in love quite easily
And ten times as hard as you and me

nope. many reasons: health, environment, workers, animals. the majority of the industry is owned by just 4 corporations. and now there are many tasty plant-based options.

bring on the hate.

No hate. Just leaves more bacon for the rest of us.

I used to like bacon in my younger days. I got away from eating it by itself. I do like BLTs in the summer and I make a baked bean dish at Christmas using a pound of bacon.

I go months without having any bacon.

bring on the hate.
Lots of small farm/meat producer options still available to us, plus some of us make our own bacon.

I buy Oscar Mayer Low Sodium bacon. A lot less salt. I only have 5 strips every Sunday made in my air fryer so the grease rolls off. A better alternative I think.
One of the optional steps in home-made bacon is to test fry after the cure and before smoking. If too salty, the meat is put into a bowl of water to soak for a while. This way salt can be reduced to taste. I see no reason that retail sliced bacon couldn't receive the same treatment. In fact, with all the exposed surface, the soaking time is probably much less.

Look at that (a meal option on a flight we’re taking next week):

Duck Confit with Anson Mills Sea Island Peas, roasted turnips, carrots, and Benton’s Bacon.

Back
Top Bottom