Facebook IPO

Well I went ahead and bought 500 hundred shares @38.50, we'll see how this goes, totally a short term speculation on my part but I really like the odds, the amount of negative press this has been getting just made me want to do this!

Nice buy in a dip it looks like.

I am not seeing the mania I thought I would. Maybe the syndicate raised the IPO price to make sure that speculators had to pay up a little..........

I am not seeing the mania I thought I would. Maybe the syndicate raised the IPO price to make sure that speculators had to pay up a little..........

I think the mania got taken care of when they raised the price up to $38 and then added a lot more shares to the IPO from 337 mil to 421 mil shares. I read somewhere this has only happened in < 4% of all IPOs.

Provocative if nothing else...
'The Golden Age of Silicon Valley Is Over, and We're Dancing on its Grave' - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic
'The Golden Age of Silicon Valley Is Over, and We're Dancing on its Grave'

THOMPSON: What does the Facebook IPO mean for Silicon Valley?

BLANK: I think it's the beginning of the end of the valley as we know it. Silicon Valley historically would invest in science, and technology, and, you know, actual silicon. If you were a good VC you could make $100 million. Now there's a new pattern created by two big ideas. First, for the first time ever, you have computer devices, mobile and tablet especially, in the hands of billions of people. Second is that we are moving all the social needs that we used to do face-to-face, and we're doing them on a computer.

Didn't and have no immediate plans to buy FB. Interesting how it opened and closed right aroung $38. I do, however, have a suggestion for a corporate theme song.

Mad World - Gary Jules - YouTube

Last edited:
Pretty clear that the IPO managers had to support the price at $38 quite a bit of the day. Looks like the biggest IPO's aren't as much fun as the smaller ones.

TV Show "Person of Interest" or Facebook?

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it.......
Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up...we'll find you."

How convenient for any government to know what every citizen is up to; who their friends are, what organizations they belong to, where they are right now. And we fill in the information for them!!

Pretty clear that the IPO managers had to support the price at $38 quite a bit of the day. Looks like the biggest IPO's aren't as much fun as the smaller ones.

I don't know about that. One of my former colleagues has been director of global marketing at Facebook for 3 years. Looking at the smiles on these facebook employees faces (my friend is 2nd from left), it looks like this IPO was plenty fun.

411992_10150788506992391_673402390_10001675_583166284_o.jpg

Let's see, when the lockup expires the shares might still be above $30. These guys got theirs for what... a nickel each? I guess they could live with that.

I wonder how many of them are going to be at FB five years from now. I include Zuckerberg in that speculation.

It's not like he could spend it all.

Paul Allen spent a lot for a few years, survived illness, then invested in a lot of companies including the biggest patent troll around.

But he didn't seem to have a lot of drive to make new products. Now he mostly writes checks.

What a nice way to end the story.

He and his fiance got married today!!

I saw a mention in that marriage story, that Zuckerberg still controls 56% of the voting shares. So IPO or not, it's still under his control to do anything he wants.

Quote from the bride's family:
"Such a nice young man. He offered to supply all the wedding photographers-- and he didn't even ask for a dowry!"

Let's see, when the lockup expires the shares might still be above $30. These guys got theirs for what... a nickel each? I guess they could live with that.

I wonder how many of them are going to be at FB five years from now. I include Zuckerberg in that speculation.
I wonder if Facebook will still be around in five years. It's losing its appeal with "the kids." Their grandparents use Facebook.

Since the IPO issued, it'll be easier to value Facebook (premarriage assets) in the prenup agreement.

I wonder if Facebook will still be around in five years. It's losing its appeal with "the kids." Their grandparents use Facebook.
They just mentioned on one of the morning shows today that FB users have declined. My husband said right away that Zuck wasn't dumb, he knows the business is dwindling and made it public before it lost too much appeal.

Then I told him, "I forgot to tell you I bought some". Oh well.

I don't know they got almost a billion users around the world. They may not be able to make enough money from those users to satisfy Wall Street but it's hard to imagine some other service replacing it.

It's the new way to communicate -- people aren't going back just to email and instant messaging.

Sure a new service or network can come displace it but it will take a long time. When they perceived a threat, they bought Instagram for 1 billion in FB stock.

I don't know they got almost a billion users around the world. They may not be able to make enough money from those users to satisfy Wall Street but it's hard to imagine some other service replacing it.
A billion users means nothing. I have an account and haven't looked at it for several months. They have to generate earnings and revenue which based on the $38/shr FB has a PE over 100. I haven't dug through their financials but I don't hear anyone touting their great cash flow either.

I think Z-man was pretty smart to pull a few billion out. Many insiders also dumped large stakes. I think Friday involved a lot of support from the investment bankers that did the offering. They didn't want it to close at $20/shr. We'll see what the market really values the stock in the next 6 to 12 months.

I own none of it and would just as soon have my index funds avoid it for 12 months. I don't know when they have to include it in the total market index.

A billion users means nothing. I have an account and haven't looked at it for several months.
They report they have 500 million active (daily) users, may have been pre IPO hype. There have been social media sites that have peaked and fallen out of favor like MySpace, and users seem to jump to the newest thing, so we'll see whether FB has staying power. Will they be like Google, or more like AltaVista or Bing?

... and users seem to jump to the newest thing, so we'll see whether FB has staying power.
Is there a "newest thing" yet?

I don't think our daughter invested anywhere near as much time on her MySpace page as she has on Facebook. FB has created a huge black hole of user "sunk costs" that would really discourage starting another account... as g+ is learning.

timber... stock down more than 15% in the first 20 minutes this morning. Now way under its IPO starting point.

that was faster than I expected... though not at all surprising.

Last edited:
Sank right past my day order from Friday that never got filled.

Last edited:
Is there a "newest thing" yet?

I don't think our daughter invested anywhere near as much time on her MySpace page as she has on Facebook. FB has created a huge black hole of user "sunk costs" that would really discourage starting another account... as g+ is learning.
Yes, but.....

What is she doing to generate Facebook revenue? It's all about advertizing. FB ultimately doesn't care how many blurry photos of drunken college partying she posts. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom