Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me ask does it matter which I use?

Folks that use the forum quote feature have posts that show the entire text. Your quotes show the first few words. The scroll bar is a clunky way to read the words, as it takes multiple movements and pauses to figure out what the quote is saying. The content is there, but the interface is not good.

gPZvv9Y1tqP5f8BhwATA2aO2p0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Folks that use the forum quote feature have posts that show the entire text. Your quotes show the first few words. The scroll bar is a clunky way to read the words, as it takes multiple movements and pauses to figure out what the quote is saying. The content is there, but the interface is not good.

gPZvv9Y1tqP5f8BhwATA2aO2p0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Thanks, didn't notice that as it displays fine within the TapaTalk app. It's shows as same as the Quote box.

Where do you see that stated and by when.

Our nation doesn't have a timeline yet. Seven nations do, as early as 2025.

The United States will, about a week or 2 after a certain political party that shall not be named wins a presidential election. The current EV incentives were put in place a few years ago, right?

I recall a former President responding "Climate change" when asked what the US's greatest problem is. Whether accurate or not, that's the mentality.

You asked "where" and "when". I'll bring up the "who" as well. Notice any presidential candidates discussing this? Or any Lawmakers in Washington? I have.

How? Taxes on ICE sales, ICE registration, gasoline taxes. Lots of ways this will be done.

Aja mentioned about governments wanting their revenue. I think all sides of this discussion are aware that the government is going to collect its revenue, whether its ICE cars, EV's, or any other type of vehicle. No matter what transit gets adopted, the government is going to make its money.

Tesla Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus
anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.
Via: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup

Production will be simplified now. In the future Standard owners can 'upgrade' by 10% battery with their phone app or website.

Aside: note softwre limit has been done in the past for other Tesla cars i.e. 60kWh -- during emergency storms as an example Tesla software upgraded the cars to the larger battery for free for a month to give them better range if they were heading out of the danger.

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus
anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.

Production will be simplified now. In the future Standard owners can 'upgrade' by 10% battery with their phone app or website.

Aside: note softwre limit has been done in the past for other Tesla cars i.e. 60kWh -- during emergency storms as an example Tesla software upgraded the cars to the larger battery for free for a month to give them better range if they were heading out of the danger.
Or in other words, Tesla will NOT meet the promise made by Musk to offer $35,000 Tesla. As a investor that's positive. As an investor this would also give me a cause to reconsider if this company really has a long term plan and vision or just flying by the seat of their pants. I believe it's the later based on the number of decisions and quick reversal of those same decisions.

Tesla*announced*a series of changes to its vehicle lineup*today, including moving away from the long-promised base*Model 3*at $35,000 and an increase in price across the lineup that comes with Autopilot becoming standard.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/11/telsa-35000-model-3/

Last edited:
Our nation doesn't have a timeline yet. Seven nations do, as early as 2025.

The United States will, about a week or 2 after a certain political party that shall not be named wins a presidential election. The current EV incentives were put in place a few years ago, right?

I recall a former President responding "Climate change" when asked what the US's greatest problem is. Whether accurate or not, that's the mentality.

You asked "where" and "when". I'll bring up the "who" as well. Notice any presidential candidates discussing this? Or any Lawmakers in Washington? I have.

How? Taxes on ICE sales, ICE registration, gasoline taxes. Lots of ways this will be done.

Aja mentioned about governments wanting their revenue. I think all sides of this discussion are aware that the government is going to collect its revenue, whether its ICE cars, EV's, or any other type of vehicle. No matter what transit gets adopted, the government is going to make its money.

OK - so specific to most in this forum, there is no roadmap yet for US. So your comment is more your belief (which is fine) rather than fact. I'm aware that 9 countries have announced their timeline, and yes one has set it as soon as 2025, but that's Norway, so hardly an industrial power house.

Specific to US, seems that big oil doesn't see an end to their product demand anytime soon.

Chevron to buy Anadarko Petroleum in a $33 billion cash and stock deal

Let’s please keep political and electoral speculation out of the discussion.

Production will not be simplified, not a single standard Model 3 was ever manufactured. TESLA did however promote the heck out of it to get 300,000 deposits for a $35,000 that was supposed to be eligible for $7,500 deposit.

On the positive side, if you stick to your order and get the standard model, your battery should last quite a bit longer.

And I have heard that Tim Cook thinks this is such a good idea that APPLE is going to drop the IPAD mini and instead sell full IPAD Pro's with a software modification that will only release 7.9 inches of the screen to be used, with a full option to upgrade to an IPAD Pro in the future.

Last edited:
OK - so specific to most in this forum, there is no roadmap yet for US. So your comment is more your belief (which is fine) rather than fact. I'm aware that 9 countries have announced their timeline, and yes one has set it as soon as 2025, but that's Norway, so hardly an industrial power house.

Specific to US, seems that big oil doesn't see an end to their product demand anytime soon.

Chevron to buy Anadarko Petroleum in a $33 billion cash and stock deal

According to climateprotection.org, there are 18 nations with a roadmap. They have a list of the timelines.

According to climateprotection.org, there are 18 nations with a roadmap. They have a list of the timelines.

That's not really true. There's a list of 18 countries but not all have a road map to phase out ICE. Some only have EV targets, some are just announced incentives and one country (Britain) has plan that does not exclude hybrids (ICE still lives). However you look at it, the US is not included on their list so who knows what that means for US, but currently no plans for phase out.

Austria is first, based on the timelines given, to state no new ICE after 2020. Will be interesting to see if they meet that target or not. A couple of bullet points:

• This article states that due to the WLTP regulations "sales down 3.3%" for 2018.

• Further, looking at current year sales, according to this site new passenger car registrations for February 2019 fell by 10.8% compared to same month the year prior - WOW! And BTW January 2019 sales were down by 11.6% from prior year and December 2018 sales were down by 25.2%. - Double WOW!
Here's a chart that shows sales of passenger cars grew significantly month/month until recently, so perhaps people buying up ICE vehicles before phase out occurred. Guess people are giving up without a fight. :) Maybeit's something else.... who knows.

austria.png

A roadmap is a plan, and I supplied the best description of 18 countries plans regarding banning ICE's, EV targets, implementation dates and other information.

I noticed elsewhere that the Netherlands had over 7 percent EV sales, I believe it was Dec of 2018, making it 2nd to Norway.

Last edited:
Tesla giveth, tesla taketh away.

https://jalopnik.com/you-cant-buy-teslas-35-000-model-3-online-anymore-1833995005

Yes still can buy model 3, at $ 35K by visiting showroom (where?) or by calling.

But:
"Here’s what else you’ll be missing if you buy the software-limited Standard, from Tesla’s blog post:
Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats). Similar to other software-limited vehicles produced in the past, Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time. Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost."

They can even enable/disable heated seats remotely. In the north country can't use the "feature" of heated seats of base model, instead of the battery robbing heating system to keep warm.
A charming company for Kool Ade drinkers.

MIT and Elon Musk: Tesla Autopilot | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Podcast

This can be listened to in audio only as it is a podcast (no charts, sample video, etc).

Lex Fridman (MIT)
Published on Apr 12, 2019

Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, and a co-founder of several other companies. This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast. The series includes leading researchers in academia and industry, including CEO's and CTO's of automotive, robotics, AI, and technology companies. See the comments I make in the introduction to this video below in text form.

INFO:
Podcast website: https://lexfridman.com/ai
Course website: https://deeplearning.mit.edu
YouTube Playlist: http://bit.ly/2EcbaKf
Paper: https://hcai.mit.edu/human-side-of-te...

OUTLINE:
0:00 Introduction
2:35 Start of conversation: Autopilot motivation
4:01 Display the vehicle's perception of the driving scene
7:11 Algorithms, data, and hardware development
10:23 Edge cases and common cases in driving
12:18 Navigate on Autopilot
13:57 Hardware and software path toward fully autonomy
17:08 Driver supervision of Autopilot
20:13 Human side of Tesla Autopilot (driver functional vigilance)
23:13 Driver monitoring
24:30 Operational design domain
26:57 Securing Autopilot against adversarial machine learning
28:29 Narrow AI and artificial general intelligence
30:10 Physics view of love
31:53 First question for an artificial general intelligence system

Koolaid drinkers....another insulting post to add to the list
I can see this as the thin edge to a subscription model. You thought you bought all these features but effectively Jan 2020, music, GPS and heated seats will become a part of our Standard Extra package for $100/mo! For Deluxe models, the price will only be $50/mo!

Any bets an when tsla will have a Q suffix?

Any bets an when tsla will have a Q suffix?
Here's one perspective....

David Einhorn's Greenlight says Tesla 'on the brink' of failure
David Einhorn’s Greenlight Capital renewed criticism of Elon Musk and Tesla Inc, saying the electric car company appeared to be “on the brink” of failure again, according to a letter sent to clients of the hedge fund on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-brink-of-failure-client-letter-idUSKCN1RO1Y6

Constraints. ...

So translate this for us. Here's what I see:

Musk - Replying to @tsrandall

There is 35 GWh/yr “theoretical capacity”, but actual max output is ~2/3. It was physically impossible to make more Model 3’s in Q1 due to cell constraints.​

So what kind of "exponential growth" story is Tesla? They are now saying growth is restrained by cell capacity, so what is the plan to increase cell capacity? Math says that 77K *4Q = 308 annual, and that falls way short of the promised 400K for 2019. They need to average over 107K/Q for the remaining 3 quarters to hit that, a 38.9% increase over Q1. How to do that while "constrained" at 77K?

What is the plan to provide additional 38.9% call capacity for 2019?

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom