Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike some of our Tesla Bulls here the Chief Technology Officer of Tesla, and who is CEO of an unreported sub Tesla Redwood, has sold about 75,000 of his 341,398 shares in Tesla selling about 15K per month for each of the last 5 months. Total Sales of 21 million dollars, and is rumored to be on target to sell another 31,000 shares.

D3obhHFXoAIXM_X.jpg:large

Re: Tesla as a battery system company topic....

Just saw reference to the Tesla Powerwall 'Storm Watch' Mode on twitter. A user in FL stated their Powerwall recognized a weather event coming and automatically entered into 'Storm Watch'. Great automation idea that the users do not have to think about as the system handles it. Seems like a useful general idea that all these types of systems would/should have.

Here is what the Tesla website says about that.

My question would be.... why would you ever want the battery not to be full?

Some people have differential electricity pricing depending on time of day. They would normally want most charging to be done during the cheapest hours.

Tesla began taking orders for the Solar roof in May 2017. To get on the list you had to deposit $1,000, so far 12 roofs have been installed in California. So far Tesla claims to have 11,000 deposits. Final estimates for cost of the roof is $50,000 - $100,000 dollars. it takes a team of 15 workers two weeks to install the roof

The Tesla powerwall:
More practically, if your doing multiple things at once like a normal human being, the Powerwall could probably run your whole home for about eight hours, based on stats from the Energy Information Agency, which say the average home uses somewhere around 30kWh per day.

Last edited:
Unlike some of our Tesla Bulls here the Chief Technology Officer of Tesla, and who is CEO of an unreported sub Tesla Redwood, has sold about 75,000 of his 341,398 shares in Tesla selling about 15K per month for each of the last 5 months. Total Sales of 21 million dollars, and is rumored to be on target to sell another 31,000 shares.

D3obhHFXoAIXM_X.jpg:large
I mentioned something similar earlier today, and several other insiders selling off big in past 3 months, one director sold off even more. Maybe they just needed a little walking around money.

What TSLA insiders are doing. As they are closer to the data always interesting to see what's happening.

Insider sales for past 3 months.

Name-PositionProceeds# Shares
Gracias Antonio J - Director$15,700,00050,340
Straubel Jeffrey - Chief Technology Officer$13,200,00045,000
Buss Bradley W. - Director$11,500,00038,542
Guillen Jerome M - Officer$611,8002,000
Rice Linda Johnson - Director$544,0001,700
Grand Total$41,555,800137,582

I didn't see much (or any) discussion with respect to the content of the posting topic. Just "here's a good link to go look at".

Most of us don't have a clue what a "powerwall" is and why it's important, especially to the stock performance. It's (powerwall) never mentioned in the news when Tesla stock is the subject. Only the cars and the car factories (except the upper NY failed solar plant) are mentioned. Oh, the recent construction of China facility is pretty well known too.

Why not dig a little in the website and paste a pdf of the subject matter so us uninformed ones have some taste of where the message is?
It has been talked about before in this thread.

If people don't know what a Tesla Powerwall is they then absolutely are not following Tesla closely *at*all*! Tesla has a *major* battery business. Tesla Energy (Solar+Batteries) is one of main links on their main page! Wow, if people don't know this about Tesla and haven't looked into it then no way they are seriously looking at Tesla as an investment --- pro or con.

Powerpack - Commercial & Utility Energy Storage Solutions
Powerwall - Residential and smaller businesses Energy Storage Solutions

nm63gWB.jpg

Some overview of the several modes they have. You can combine this with solar (fill during day) or just from the grid (cheaper at non peak times or for unpredictable power outages).

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/powerwall/learn/how-powerwall-works
Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that stores energy from solar or from the grid and makes it available on demand. It can power your home during the night, or back up your home in the event of a power outage. With its built-in battery inverter, Powerwall is compact and easy to integrate into your home. As with all Tesla products, new features will be added to Powerwall with over-the-air updates.

v0bqZjo.jpg

Last edited:
It has been talked about before in this thread.

If people don't know what a Tesla Powerwall is they then absolutely are not following Tesla closely *at*all*! Tesla has a *major* battery business. Tesla Energy (Solar+Batteries) is one of main links on their main page! Wow, if people don't know this about Tesla and haven't looked into it then no way they are seriously looking at Tesla as an investment --- pro or con.

Powerpack - Commercial & Utility Energy Storage Solutions

Powerwall - Residential and smaller businesses Energy Storage Solutions

nm63gWB.jpg
Yeah, but it is so inconsequential to the revenues or net income for Tesla. But that's something I'm interested in, but need for them to make better progress with their solar roof tiles. Here's financials for 2018, shows how relatively small the enegry group is to Tesla profits.Screenshot_20190409-202124__01.jpg

Yeah, but it is so inconsequential to the revenues or net income for Tesla. But that's something I'm interested in, but need for them to make better progress with their solar roof tiles. Here's financials for 2018, shows how relatively small the enegry group is to Tesla profits.View attachment 31168

WOW... interesting to see...

I would get out of services and other as that is a negative gross margin... energy is a bit over 11%... not great for tech but might be good for that business...

Big picture folks.

Stationary storage is "something I think will probably be as big as the car business long term," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during a tour of the Gigafactory last year. "And will actually have a growth rate probably several times that of what the car business is per year. The growth in stationary storage is really under appreciated. That’s a super-exponential growth rate."

Tesla has to balance their battery material/supply_chain going to the car (battery) ramp up and the commerical powerpacks and retail powerwalls. They are balancing this based on the priorities and goals they have at*this*point*in*time. This has been discussed in many places. Most recent place it was discussed was at the Model Y reveal a few weeks back.

There are 1000s of examples of retail and small business powerwall install examples. More outside of the continental USA than in. i.e. other countries, Hawaii, Peueto Rico, etc.

Here are a few example of commerical powerpacks:

a) https://www.inverse.com/article/515...-saved-south-australia-a-huge-amount-of-money
Tesla’s South Australian battery project, described as the world’s largest lithium-ion storage system when it was completed, has managed to save the state a large sum of money. The Hornsdale project, completed last November in 54 days, has reduced costs associated with stabilizing the energy grid by nearly AU$40 million ($28.9 million).

b) https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/14854858/tesla-solar-hawaii-kauai-kiuc-powerpack-battery-generator
The Kauai project consists of a 52 megawatt-hour battery installation plus a 13 megawatt SolarCity solar farm. Tesla and the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative, the power company that ordered the project, believe the project will reduce fossil fuel usage by 1.6 million gallons per year.

c) https://www.inverse.com/article/530...a-to-install-hundreds-of-new-tesla-powerpacks
The other major electric car charging network (aside from Tesla Supercharging network) is using Tesla PowerPacks.
Electrify America to Install Hundreds of New Tesla Powerpacks

Last edited:
WOW... interesting to see...

I would get out of services and other as that is a negative gross margin... energy is a bit over 11%... not great for tech but might be good for that business...

There may be some end game for Services, I'm not sure what that includes. But specific to the Powerwall, it's been a rocky time for Tesla. A bit dated, but here's article from last year on Powerwall.

A Breakdown of Tesla’s Solar and Storage Delays and Deliveries

Pairing that with Tesla's Solar Roof, well seems like that could be really nice if they could get the price competitive. Being in Florida, Mother Nature is providing a ton of natural resources that I could use for free. Having the solar roof that blends in and then stores excess to Powerwall is just so appealing to me.

Tesla Solar Roof: Elon Musk’s solar roof tiles complete review

Last edited:
Quietness, room, "environmental guilt(??):confused:, refueling (what? you do have to charge the ev's, right?):facepalm: are very subjective and not always seen as a benefit to the owner.

Not always, and it seems not to you, but to some they are, and that's the point.

With refueling I refer to the fact that you don't have to go to a gas station anymore. For some (me included) that's a hassle, and others rather not go to perceived unsafe gas station areas. I don't understand why you are putting question marks around the environmental guilt statement: several people I know bought and leased EVs because of the absence of tailpipe emissions, paying a premium for it too. It may not be a benefit to you, but disclaiming it altogether is another thing.

All the talk of growth of EV, hopefully government looks down the road and considers the impact of millions of battery packs needing disposal.

This article is interesting as it points to the environmental "costs" (impact) of EV production and disposal. It touches on child labor needed to mine the materials to produce batteries, but that seems more a distraction on the overall environmental impact.
Will Your Electric Car Save the World or Wreck It?

The rise of electric cars could leave us with a big battery waste problem

Tesla's new batteries may be harder on the environment than you think

Strange approach to increasing sales. But let's see how it plays out.

Code:
Summary

Tesla has started off Q2 with fresh cuts to sales staff. Brick-and-mortar stores already were in peril thanks to a new strategy to move all sales online.

Cuts had been slowed in late March due to a quarter-end deliveries rush. With Q1 finished, the cuts have recommenced.

Physical store personnel are not the only ones facing the ax. Inside sales teams also have seen sweeping cuts.

Tesla appears to be fighting to conserve cash at the expense of future growth and sales. That will hamper the company's hyper-growth narrative going forward.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4253646-tesla-cutting-sales-staff-will-cripple-growth-potential

No disrespect , I copied your link . To me any type of Child abuse or trafficking I am against . Please don't take it as disrespect . Appreciate your find on this .

No disrespect , I copied your link . To me any type of Child abuse or trafficking I am against . Please don't take it as disrespect . Appreciate your find on this .

Ah, OK. Figured you'd just quote the original. Had another instance yesterday that posted similar information so thought maybe I was talking to cyberspace :) But hey I got it and didn't consider it disrespectful at all. Agree child labor isn't acceptable but don't know how accurate the details are specific to Tesla so really didn't want to dwell on that. I guess it just shows that there's an offsetting negative to almost any positive, some people either are ignorant or choose to ignore those details.

Just read that lawmakers are writing a bill called "Driving America Forward Act" to expand the EV credits for another 400,000 vehicles, on top of the existing 200,000 limit. Tax credit would be 7,000 for these 400,000 vehicles.

The purpose of the bill is "To reduce emissions and combat carbon pollution".

Looks like I may get to cash in a third time.

Just read that lawmakers are writing a bill called "Driving America Forward Act" to expand the EV credits for another 400,000 vehicles, on top of the existing 200,000 limit. Tax credit would be 7,000 for these 400,000 vehicles.

Did you just read that in the post I left just above yours? Is this mic on? Lol....

Many people including me think that just helps the laggards who held back while other companies pushed the EV market forward with genuine efforts in making and selling.

Better would be like set it to 1.5 million in *total* and once that is hit then NO manufacturers buyers get tax credits. Look at the laggards in 2018 selling just a few thousand for the entire YEAR -- https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Last edited:
I expect to see it go the opposite way. Once a certain political party that shall not be named takes over, a carbon tax gets put on any vehicle that uses gas. It will be the first step of many put into effect. I fully expect some mind blowing laws coming eventually.

Why do I think this? Just listen to what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom