Air travel and CBD

ElizabethT

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have instant and terrible anxiety attacks whenever a flight I'm on experiences turbulence. I've tried umpteen remedies to try and reduce them (meditation, prescription xanex, lectures on what and why turbulence occurs, alcohol), and nothing has worked thus far. So, with another long haul flight to Germany approaching, I've begun exploring the possibility of trying CBD edibles.

Flying with CBD chewables within the US appears to be legal as long as the THC is less than .3%. My research for Germany shows same, with the THC there needing to be less than .2%.

Has anyone flown within or outside of the US or into Europe/Germany with edibles? And would you be willing to share how the experience was or went if so?

Much TIA!

Last edited:
I would not travel with them. If I needed them, I’d consume them before the flight. Easy to do in the US. May be hard to find them in Germany but still, that would be my approach. I would not go through customs with anything questionable like CBD. Good luck.

^ me neither. There may be another prescription that you can get. Carry that in the original bottle. Anything else is not worth the potential drama.

trouble with pre-flight usage is it won't last long enough for an international flight, perhaps not long enough to board if you take before the TSA checkpoint.

You might try contacting the airline for guidance or even TSA directly if you can?

I would not travel with them. If I needed them, I’d consume them before the flight. Easy to do in the US. May be hard to find them in Germany but still, that would be my approach. I would not go through customs with anything questionable like CBD. Good luck.

^ me neither. There may be another prescription that you can get. Carry that in the original bottle. Anything else is not worth the potential drama.

I appreciate the opinions shared, but I am actually trying to verify what is legal per current US TSA and Germany guidelines, Every travel industry website I’ve reviewed indicates it’s fine, and here is verbiage from US TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana

So again, if anyone has actual experience with this, and is willing to share, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
No experience.
I don't think TSA gives a care about what drugs I take on the plane, they never check as it's not their job.
Now landing in another country, I make sure I don't take anything illegal, as some countries will execute you for bringing in illegal drugs and they think what is illegal is perfectly legal here.
OP - would need to check Germany customs , and any other nearby Country in case the plane is forced to land elsewhere en-route.

Maybe next trip OP could plan a trip using Trans Atlantic cruise ships, I prefer them to flying as much more relaxing.

If you have anxiety about flying, you should consult your primary physician.

CBD might help you somewhat, but you really don't want some beagle hound in a European airport sniffing at you and your luggage. Who knows what the CBD does to the poor little pups--and might get you a strip search.

If you have anxiety about flying, you should consult your primary physician.

CBD might help you somewhat, but you really don't want some beagle hound in a European airport sniffing at you and your luggage. Who knows what the CBD does to the poor little pups--and might get you a strip search.

I’m thinking just enough for each flight, no extras. Meaning all consumed in air.

This turbulence anxiety is the bane of my life. And I do have prescription xanex for this issue, but the anxiety will still break through it on occasion.

It is frustrating that what appears to be a straight forward issue on both country’s official websites still clearly creates much confusion and concern.

I would suggest posting this question on Reddit. They have an entire subreddit devoted to CBD. Someone there would almost certainly be able to give you some helpful/useful info about flying with CBD gummies. Here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/CBD/

yes and the issue is the >0.3 US standard THC vs the German >0.2
The reddit suggestion is great, and doing research on the German products and availability is important, so you don't run afoul of that.
All the US products claim the less than 0.3 and are of no help for the return trip.

I’m thinking just enough for each flight, no extras. Meaning all consumed in air.

This turbulence anxiety is the bane of my life. And I do have prescription xanex for this issue, but the anxiety will still break through it on occasion.

It is frustrating that what appears to be a straight forward issue on both country’s official websites still clearly creates much confusion and concern.

1. Xanax has a short life and it's easy to experience both breakthrough and rebound panic attacks while on it. A longer life benzo valium, Ativan.. are probably better with zanax reserved for breakthrough attacks.

2. Am I confused these are the official sources of information right? So there's no problem. If you're consuming everything in flight there's no problem unless you're going to ask permission.

I totally get the frustration because for most of our lives these things have been demonized for various reasons. Sad.

I have instant and terrible anxiety attacks whenever a flight I'm on experiences turbulence.

I doubt anyone here will dare agree with this unfashionable opinion from an old mid-1960's Berkeley hippie, but...

If I had to drug myself in order to bear the experience of flying, I'd just do something else I enjoyed more during my vacation time. Nobody has put a gun to your head and told you that you have to fly.

If there's no method of transportation whatsoever that can get you to your destination in a happy and peaceful state, perhaps you didn't want to go there as much as you think you did.

I doubt anyone here will dare agree with this unfashionable opinion from an old mid-1960's Berkeley hippie, but...

If I had to drug myself in order to bear the experience of flying, I'd just do something else I enjoyed more during my vacation time. Nobody has put a gun to your head and told you that you have to fly.

If there's no method of transportation whatsoever that can get you to your destination in a happy and peaceful state, perhaps you didn't want to go there as much as you think you did.

Young Granddaughters are in Germany. I’ll bear anything I must to see them.

1. Xanax has a short life and it's easy to experience both breakthrough and rebound panic attacks while on it. A longer life benzo valium, Ativan.. are probably better with zanax reserved for breakthrough attacks.

2. Am I confused these are the official sources of information right? So there's no problem. If you're consuming everything in flight there's no problem unless you're going to ask permission.

I totally get the frustration because for most of our lives these things have been demonized for various reasons. Sad.

Just to clarify- I only take the Xanex for long haul flights. Never in my ‘normal’ life. Situational only. But I appreciate the other medicine recommendation and will discuss with my PCP.

And yes, what I’m quoting is from each country’s official .gov websites.

I have instant and terrible anxiety attacks whenever a flight I'm on experiences turbulence. I've tried umpteen remedies to try and reduce them (meditation, prescription xanex, lectures on what and why turbulence occurs, alcohol), and nothing has worked thus far.

ElizabethT,

I was sharing your situation/plight with a friend who is a trained hypnotist, along with a lot of other extensive training/education. He suggested that you look into hypnosis.

omni

Does it have to be edibles?

Since EU laws seem to prohibit edibles (although CBD capsules below the 0.2% limit are able to be purchased over the counter in Germany) I would suggest taking all of your US edibles prior to landing in Germany and then purchasing CBD capsules in Germany for the return flight. On the other hand I am not a user of CBD products so I might be wrong in my assumptions that you could substitute capsules for edibles.

I have instant and terrible anxiety attacks whenever a flight I'm on experiences turbulence. I've tried umpteen remedies to try and reduce them (meditation, prescription xanex, lectures on what and why turbulence occurs, alcohol), and nothing has worked thus far. So, with another long haul flight to Germany approaching, I've begun exploring the possibility of trying CBD edibles.

Flying with CBD chewables within the US appears to be legal as long as the THC is less than .3%. My research for Germany shows same, with the THC there needing to be less than .2%.

Has anyone flown within or outside of the US or into Europe/Germany with edibles? And would you be willing to share how the experience was or went if so?

Much TIA!

I've traveled with weed edibles before. In fact everytime I flew I traveled with it. Its a little known secret the TSA is only concerned with flyer safety...not locating every banned substance on the planet. With that said, I used to smoke a good amount right before I walked into ticketing...and it would always wear off about 20minutes into the air for me. I travelled with the gummy bears that looked just like the real gummy bears and nobody cared to check in my situation. I've travelled with joints, and vape cartridges as well. The last time I travelled I completely forgot to take out my mini razor blade from my carry-on and place it in my checked baggage and nobody caught it on my flight home from San Diego.

Even if they did find it, my guess is they just toss it aside in the garbage, as again they are looking after flyer safety, not being mommy and daddy. With that said, its your risk.

My guess is Germany has places to get CBD as well, but I am only familiar with TSA and not sure what Germany's equivalent is nor their rules.

I googled Frankfurt CBD stores and saw quite a few results. Again, not familiar with there rules. YMMV

cbd_germany.PNG

I'd evaluate the plight of Brittney Griner before traveling with questionable controlled substances. Sure, Germany isn't Russia. But it would be a cautionary tale. While it's great to study US and German rules, what if your plane gets diverted to Iceland? Or England? Or ? What are the rules there? I wouldn't do it.

I wish people would spell out these new acronyms to save the rest of us the time and trouble.

“CBD”?

Ok I clicked and scrolled through multiple posts before realizing it had to do with marijuana.

I don’t do drugs so I wasn’t familiar with this acronym.

There has to be some industrial strength, "legal everywhere" prescription that would provide the same level of sedation that your Dr can prescribe.

Despite what the other countries websites say I wouldn't risk CBD. All you need is some ambitious airport security dragon slayer with a beef against Americans (been there, done that) to ruin your arrival and delay you for hours.

I WANTED to say it but was too chicken! AND I'm a child of the 60s (but never even saw MJ until I was out of university.) I still recall sitting in Psych class and one guy was going on and on about how we (in the midwest) were only interested in getting an education. We didn't do drugs or party or protest. what was the point of going to school?:facepalm::LOL:

I WANTED to say it but was too chicken! AND I'm a child of the 60s (but never even saw MJ until I was out of university.) I still recall sitting in Psych class and one guy was going on and on about how we (in the midwest) were only interested in getting an education. We didn't do drugs or party or protest. what was the point of going to school?:facepalm::LOL:

Did you miss the part about my young granddaughters living there? I'm braver than my issue with flying, but thank you for playing.

I totally understand your issue because I developed the same problem in 2002 when I was on a 5 hour flight with such bad turbulence that people were crying, praying and the flight attendant was sitting a row ahead and said we were going to die. A horrendous storm was occurring and after we landed they closed the airport. It’s very important to me to fly to visit family, friends and I love to travel especially internationally. I take Xanax to fly and it mostly works but I also get some break through anxiety with turbulence.

Did you miss the part about my young granddaughters living there? I'm braver than my issue with flying, but thank you for playing.

Yes, I did see that. I feel your pain. When DW and I couldn't travel to see our kids/grand kids due to some health issues, we paid THEIR way to come to us. I understand that could be more expensive than you could afford.

Some issues are simply difficult to overcome but I would hesitate to handle them with substances that may not be available when you need them or prove to be problematic to authorities that don't care about your particular issues. I am sympathetic so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom