First time: TSA full body frisking

I haven't flown since 2003, the only time post-9/11. Looks like I am missing lots of stuff I really do want to miss!

My drivers license renewal is coming up in a few months and I have been told what I need to get a "REALID" which can be used to board a plane and do some other things such as entering some federal buildings. My birth certificate is a non-certified copy, so I lack anything they will accept at the DMV to get a REALID. Probably just as well, as I don't plan to fly again for the rest of my life if I am lucky. And I can renew a regular DL by mail, saving me a trip to the dreaded DMV.

And if you need to go to a federal building? Say you are audited?

I agree that the TSA can be a bit annoying. DW has medical electronic implant so it is a guarantee for a hands on search each flight. We all have several stories.

OTOH - I go through a more rigorous search train than TSA everyday at work, including an explosives whole body scan and two biometric scans. You want this, the government demands it, and I appreciate it.

Today DW cleaned bottom drawer of a bookcase and found a Palm Beach newspaper that I stowed away dated 12 September 2001. Front cover is full width color picture of the WTC. Three inch high letters across the banner - "MASSACRE". Only newspaper I've ever saved.

When we went to Shanksville PA in 2004, the memorial was only a section of freestanding fence with messages from families and friend's to their dead.

Years later, we went to the Pentagon memorial and met a naturalized Indian couple sitting at their son's bench. He was a 20 year old sailor just assigned to that fateful section of the building. DW and I simply listened to their story of immigration and how proud they were of their only son.

I don't mind the TSA - they are trying to do a job and help keep us a bit safer.

Its the b*stards who created these conditions that I despise.

Last edited:
Some of those TSA agents must get nightmares.
To me all commercial flying is a nightmare these days. I can remember the days (as late as the early 70's) when I could get to the airport 15 mins before flight time and make it to my seat with time to spare. No security checks, few crowds, good service, cheap prices, carry on anything, drinks before take off, smoking was allowed, etc.

The price we are paying....:nonono:

And if you need to go to a federal building? Say you are audited?

Then I can't get in. Also, from my research, specific federal agencies have not yet indicated if they will require RealID to enter. Maybe I can get out of (federal) jury duty!

The whole security theater is why I'm very reluctant to visit the US.

I feel unsafe, unwanted and violated.
+1, although in my case I live in the US. But this is also one of several reasons why I will not travel by air if I can possibly avoid it.

No way am I going to subject myself to a full body frisk by the TSA. Luckily since my retirement travel has been voluntary, and I choose to stay home.

Staying home has the added benefits of not trying to squeeze my rather ample self into a 17.8" wide seat for hours on end, or enduring close contact with strangers and their diseases, their smells, their infants, and so on. I am much happier here at home.

Last edited:
Air travel these days is tedious at best, usually worse. Uncomfortable accommodations, "comfort animals", entitled travelers - all these make things worse than they have ever been in the air. And security procedures don't make anything better.

Still, the men and women of TSA are just doing their jobs. I find most of them helpful and friendly. And I try not to make their jobs any harder than necessary.

Security gates are something to tolerate and take in stride. For right or for wrong, the country has decided that these security procedures are necessary.

We can argue about the best process, how much of it is useful and how much of it is fluff. But I won't argue with the people doing their work.

I went through the TSA grope a few years ago when I was wearing a back brace from surgery for lower back fusion, a substantial knee brace due to a lack of cartilage, and using a walking stick to keep me upright. I had to balance myself and get help taking off braces, shoes, and belt while trying to hold up my pants. There was even a rub down for residue. I guess I fit some kind of profile.

I will be traveling out of the country with my wife in a few months and expect I will be stopped once again now that I have a new "knee" and tend to set off alarms.

Can you request a woman to do the pat down? I don't think my wife would mind.

Cheers!

Still, the men and women of TSA are just doing their jobs. I find most of them helpful and friendly. And I try not to make their jobs any harder than necessary.

As with most things, there is a wide variation between locations. Last time I flew out of PDX, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful all the TSA people were. Having a flight delay, I took some time to chat with a couple of them and learned that they were considered the model for TSA best practices, and other airports sent people there to learn. Sounds like a story, but after observing the place for an hour or so I believed it.

It's happened to us and they even thoroughly screened the kids with frisking. At least we didn't get a courtesy cavity search. I don't know what triggered the frisking, perhaps every 5th family gets the extra attention? My surly looking smiling face? Chemical swab from my bag? Lots of electronics in our bags (we were backpacking around Europe and traveling with everything in small bookbags)?

Walked through with my backpack that doubles as my "flight bag" when I am flying. Had this clipped to the side and didn't realize it until after it had gone through X-Ray, and I was sitting at the gate waiting. I took this pic, sent it to my wife and said I was lucky I was not tackled on the way up the escalator. She suggested I throw it in the nearest trash can before I boarded, which I did.

I also sent it to my best friend who's a Captain for SWA. He just said "yep, TSA hard at work".

Attachments

• IMG_4035.jpg
    IMG_4035.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom