Great walking cities

If we should ever decide to live together, we might think of something like this "inner ring" suburbia, at least once the subway extension gets finished or at least seems to be proceeding well.
Did Ha the biggest relationship skeptic of all time mention living together ?
Even Ha can have a weak moment.
:LOL: Well, I'm not holding my breath. He did qualify it with a big "If". Now, when he starts talking about "When", he's a goner. :D

Perhaps it's the walking that's paramount, and the where is immaterial?

That's probably the case - I tend to walk around both at home and on the road. It's just more repetitive and boring and suburban at home. I tend to bike more at home because I have specific places to get to that are too far to walk and I'm in more of a hurry than when I'm traveling.

Don't forget the smaller Spanish cities like Malaga snd Granada. They are gorgeous.

Yes, very walkable. In fact, having a car in the old parts of Granada would be a big detriment as so many streets are extremely narrow and parking limited. Taxis and buses are cheap if you need to go somewhere beyond walking distance.

If you like walking - you should check out this company, they setup many trails around Europe (ranging from hard to easy), they will arrange hotels and transport your luggage to resting destinations, you walk from one destination to the next, check in the hotel, rest and walk again to next destination. I personally did not do this yet, but my co-worker highly recommend this as she had done it many time, and she is in her late 50s

https://www.onfootholidays.co.uk/

It is entirely a different type of vacation/tour ... I am sure that it is not for all.

I just did the coast to coast walk ( east to west ) in England , through the Lake District , Yorkshire dales , and north Yorkshire moors, staying at inns each night and it was super fun.

Paris, even in the Metro. Nice way to rub shoulders with Parisiens. On to Reims tomorrow.

Paris, even in the Metro. Nice way to rub shoulders with Parisiens. On to Reims tomorrow.

My memories of the Paris metro was people unreasonably rushing the cars trying to crowd in even after the buzzers went off Netflix doors were closing. Dangerous business. We just waited for the next one which was what - 2 minutes? Herd silliness.

I found Seattle to be very walkable, although you have to be okay with walking up and down hills. We walked everywhere when we lived there and walked to different neighborhoods every weekend, going to neighborhood Farmer's markets and looking at all the different public art installations as well as sampling the offerings at neighborhood coffee shops.

I learned something in Amsterdam recently. When you hear a bicycle bell, it's a sign of celebration because the cyclist has just run over a tourist. :LOL:

I was the tourist that has a tire mark on his back! [emoji1338]*♀️
I dumbly stepped off a curb and onto a bike lane in front of Ann Franks house due to the over crowded sidewalk... the rest is history. [emoji1401]*♂️

I was the tourist that has a tire mark on his back! [emoji1338]*♀️
I dumbly stepped off a curb and onto a bike lane in front of Ann Franks house due to the over crowded sidewalk... the rest is history. [emoji1401]*♂️
You are not the first, nor last. 🤣

The Dutch are awesome, kind, fun people, unless you step in the bike lane!

In all fairness, that has to be one of the most crowded stretches of sidewalk in Europe. The cyclist should have known to be extra alert for silly tourists.

I have been to most popular European cities more than once, and it is easy to put some serious walking behind you. We often take the free walking tours in cities we visit.

But Irish cities and the countryside has more great walking paths and roads than anyplace we have ever been.

Back
Top Bottom