Mexico...sorta dangerous now

Can I assume that it's quite a bit more expensive? I've found that almost everything in Latin America that's clean, safe and has a lot of gringos and expats loses much of the cost of living advantages of Latin America -- though my "research" has been far from exhaustive.

I was going to post before that it was a little more expensive than Mexico city, but I'm not really sure I can tell you. Roughly the same I guess. Cuernavaca isn't overrun by gringos, just that there are more there relatively speaking vs. Mexico City. You can go to a decent restaurant in Mexico City and not see any visible gringos, whereas if you went to a decent restaurant in Cuernavaca you would probably see other Americans from the language schools. And the bars/nightclubs were similar. Of course I'm sure we ended up hanging out at the more gringo-friendly establishments in Cuernavaca so that could color my experience as well.

In general, I would say everything in Cuernavaca is still about half what it would cost in the US. That goes for things like meals, transportation, lodging (short and long term), services, drinks, cover charge at bars/clubs, clothes, groceries, etc. The only thing a lot more expensive were imported name brand products. Bar soap (ivory spring or something) was 2x the cost at walmart up here. So if Cuernavaca is more expensive than Mexico City, not by a lot. Although there are cheaper places in Mexico. And this is based on 10 year old data, but I don't think things have changed radically in that time.

From what I remember, a beer full price at a club or restaurant was $0.80-1.00, happy hour = $0.35-0.50. A cheap meal was $3-4. Street food = $1-1.50 for a big meal. Taxis = 1.5-2 bucks for a few miles, bus = $0.3, hotel = $10-20 for low end, $30-40 for nice local hotel. Apartments could be rented monthly for $200 low end, basic studios probably, or $500-600 for something decent, furnished, couple of bedrooms, may include housekeeping and shared or private pool. Everything may be a bit more expensive now.

A night out clubbing, drinking, and dining with taxi to/from/around town was $20 if you didn't go too crazy. So it was usually $30 for me. :D

The US perception of Mexico is such a shame. I was very afraid to visit Mexico based on stereotypes and fear of the unknown.

After visiting Mexico City over a dozen times I've grown fond of the place. Last year I spend 3 weeks Guadalajara brushing up on my spanish.

Saying Mexico is dangerous is like saying the US is dangerous. You can't generalize about giant countries with over 100 million and 300 million respectively.

I wouldn't visit Juarez or Tijuana on vacation these days but so many other wonderful places are fabulous and perfectly safe.

Ziggy 29
Can I assume that it's quite a bit more expensive? I've found that almost everything in Latin America that's clean, safe and has a lot of gringos and expats loses much of the cost of living advantages of Latin America -- though my "research" has been far from exhaustive.

Hi Ziggy,

While what you say is true - the more conveniences you get in Latin America the more expensive it becomes, especially in high tourist destinations - we have found that there is a good, comfortable middle where you can live well for less by living locally. Life in the States, Canada and many places in Europe are far more costly than in Latin America. It does take lifestyle discipline at first, but after a while it becomes second nature.

I guess too, that it depends on which amenities you are wanting. Lots of small towns have cable tv, internet, good, cheap transport and of course, hot and cold running water, electricity, pharmacies and grocery stores. If you want deep sea fishing, first rate golf courses, upscale avant-guarde international cuisine, first run theater and movie options… well then, yes that will cost more.
FreqFlyer
The US perception of Mexico is such a shame. I was very afraid to visit Mexico based on stereotypes and fear of the unknown…Saying Mexico is dangerous is like saying the US is dangerous…I wouldn't visit Juarez or Tijuana on vacation these days but so many other wonderful places are fabulous and perfectly safe.
We feel exactly the same way and you put it so well. We have been saying this for years, based on our personal experience, but many people are - like you say - too afraid to visit.

We could say that we are going to go to Malaysia, Greece, Morocco, The Philippines, or Brazil, and no one would blink an eye. The moment we mention Mexico… whew! Emotions get high!

All the best,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

I am not afraid of Mexico in the least, but there are places I would not go. Mexico City is more of a challenge than I want to take on just yet. Also, I can't think of a reason to want to go there.

As always, do your homework.

The US perception of Mexico is such a shame. I was very afraid to visit Mexico based on stereotypes and fear of the unknown...
Tell me about it. I got an email in December from friends in Newport Beach who wanted to know if they should come down to their timeshare in January! They have been coming to PV for over twenty years! I said sure, come on down. It is just the same as before except the restaurants have more specials.

During my stay here from November to June each year, I find it safer that east Vancouver. Sure hope all those Olympic athletes are protected from the drug crimes in Vancouver.

Libertarianism is great in theory...that, unfortunately, won't work in real life. But if it only could....I'd be in.

As opposed to Republicanism and Democratism, which are working oh so well! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom