current favorite youtube channel

Insufficient memory!

A version of CP/M is possible, but will need a lot of porting. First, he will need to write a cross assembler for it, unless he was able to obtain whatever vintage computer used for software development then. An even more major project!

How is he going to load the software? What is the bootloader? What I/O interface is on that computer, to hookup to a CRT or teletype?

PS. To run a disk O/S like CP/M, he will need hardware interface to a floppy disk, which was of a much later vintage than that computer.

I worked with computers using core memory in the late 70s.

I looked briefly at the above AGC videos. I wonder what he will be doing with it. Even after he gets the computer running, what will be the application software to run on it?

You'll have to watch to find out. :cool:

They have implemented the AGC in software and have already run the actual moon landing sequence (P63) on it. They have also implemented the debugger (was the size of a fridge, is now the size of a phone) so they can run anything they like on the actual AGC.

GM

Just checked out a few Project Farm videos. They're great! Thanks for the heads up.

I gather the Project Farmer's catchphrase is, "That's a lot of damage.", usually stated in a low-key manner.

A friend turned me on to PBS Space Time. Mostly quantum physics topics, they can be over my head but I'm learning.

I worked with computers using core memory in the late 70s.

I looked briefly at the above AGC videos. I wonder what he will be doing with it. Even after he gets the computer running, what will be the application software to run on it?

Why do people climb Mount Everest? I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, "because it's there, or because I can".

I've also had some videos pop up recently where the guy restores some old tool. And not always some classic, iconic tool, sometimes just some old rusty thing. Interesting to see the techniques, but most of the time even I would say "just buy a new one".

-ERD50

I just don't think of YouTube as having "channels". Maybe I'm missing some entertainment. I'm away of the member here who has a channel for his AT hike, so I'm not totally unaware, I just don't use them. I think I may have a channel for trains, as I mounted a TV over my train layout to do train videos, but I might just have a collection of them bookmarked. I am getting closer to getting my train layout finished so I can take pictures, but it's not ready yet.

I worked on a system with core memory , but from what I recall from other sources on the Apollo computer, it was the ROM that was different from anything I remember. The core RAM I worked with was a matrix, and IIRC (too lazy to look it up now), you addressed the specific row and column, and then I think it was a reversal of polarity to write a 0/1.

But this ROM held the program, and ladies wove these delicate wires through this frame, and going into a core was a "1" and weaving it outside of the core was a "0" - something like that. One mistake, and they pretty much had to pull it apart and start over.

The first computer I ever worked with had that kind of core.

My office was actually inside the computer; it took up most of the second floor of a huge blockhouse building.

IBM AN/FSQ-7

I just don't think of YouTube as having "channels". ...

I'm not sure of the terminology, but I think when most of us mention a "channel", we just mean we follow/subscribe to a particular person's uploaded videos.

I would think a "channel" would be based on a subject, with multiple content providers? Kind of like a TV or radio 'channel' has 'shows' by different people.

I wasn't sure, but here you go:

https://www.lifewire.com/channel-youtube-1616635

A personal YouTube channel is available to everyone who joins YouTube as a member. The channel serves as the home page for the user's account.

After the user enters and approves the information, the channel shows the account name, a personal description, the public videos the member uploads, and any user information the member enters.

-ERD50

"PJ on the AT". I watch our own ikubak hike part of the Appalachian Trail every day. Well, sometimes he posts every other day or so, depending on his internet connection. But I eagerly await his latest adventures. He has also turned me on to the music of Lipbone Redding.

Last edited:
Why do people climb Mount Everest? I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, "because it's there, or because I can".

I've also had some videos pop up recently where the guy restores some old tool. And not always some classic, iconic tool, sometimes just some old rusty thing. Interesting to see the techniques, but most of the time even I would say "just buy a new one".

-ERD50

I was asking what his plan was. I did not question why he did it. :cool:

You'll have to watch to find out. :cool:

Maybe. I have done some Quixotic projects like that, although much smaller and not to the same level of dedication.

Now, I like to watch a dude wandering into the Russian boondocks, and chatting with babushkas and old drunken men living alone in a forest.

I never subscribe to any Youtube channel. I watch something for a while, then when I get bored with it, I look for something else.

Gotcha! But I think I will subscribe, now I'm curious.

-ERD50

It's a pretty cool channel (or whatever you may call it). He's got a side video showing how you 'get' and 'set' a bit on core memory and how you amplify the signal. He also explains (in that video?) that a core memory reader has to always re-write what it wrote cause you lose the bit when you read it.(!) They've also spun up a huge main frame or two and ran punch cards through it. Think those mainframes (and another example of an AGC) is at the computer museum in Mountain View, CA (the valley).

Wendover Productions. Smartly made and most interesting. You'll definitely enjoy if you take a look.

Nutritionfacts. I have two computers going. When the moderator flashes a study I click the pause button and type the study's name in the search bar on the other monitor. That way I can either read the whole study, or at the least, an abstract.

The Luxury Travel Expert--for me, it's eavesdropping on the wealthy.

Serpentza--this is a South African who has been living in China for several years, speaks the language and is married to a Chinese woman. The govt is cracking down on those who document life inside China, so I'm not sure if Serpentza is still in China. But his videos are real and he's just a normal guy who tells it like it is. He also has a partner/friend he does videos with while riding motorcycles.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the talent and creativity by people posting adventures and how things work on You Tube.

This weekend, we used You Tube to find out and perform eclectic things like cleaning our dryer vent and replacing a voltage regulator on DS ML350. Of course you have to watch several to find the best techniques of DIY to avoid producer bias.

Convinced that with You Tube, a razor blade, mirror, whiskey, needle and thread I could remove my own appendix unassisted.

Not currently a brewer, but this one is kinda cool.

Last edited:
Convinced that with You Tube, a razor blade, mirror, whiskey, needle and thread I could remove my own appendix unassisted.

Looking at videos of people playing with lithium batteries, I have seen things done that make me cringe. It's not that they are daredevils who willingly take risks, but ignorant people who do not understand that what they do will lead to catastrophic failures down the road.

There are always more knowledgeable commenters who warn them, but these are often dismissed.

Last edited:
I really enjoy watching Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. He's all about the nuts and bolts of cars and their maintenance: https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer/about

This is the people's automotive channel! The most honest and funniest car channel on YouTube. Never any sponsored content, just the truth about everything! Learn how to fix your car and how it works. Get a chance to show off your own car on Sundays. Or show off your own car mod on Wednesdays. Tool giveaways every Monday to help you with your own car projects. We have a new video every day! I've been an auto mechanic for the past 50 years and I'm here to share my knowledge with you.

There’s a channel called Reserve Channel. They have a show called Ex-Pats, hosted by Savannah Jane Buffet, that I really enjoy...

Some of my favorites:

Mustie1 – Repairs, restores, refurbishes all kinds of motors, vehicles, garden equipment, power tools, etc. Instructional and fun to watch.
CruisingTheCut – Life aboard a narrowboat on the UK canal network.
Harry Rogers – Leather work, green woodworking and related crafts.

Serpentza--this is a South African who has been living in China for several years, speaks the language and is married to a Chinese woman. The govt is cracking down on those who document life inside China, so I'm not sure if Serpentza is still in China. But his videos are real and he's just a normal guy who tells it like it is. He also has a partner/friend he does videos with while riding motorcycles.

I recently stumbled across this guy's videos, and then his partner's ones. Serpentza's friend is American, and also has a Chinese wife.

They both have been recently making videos that would not be well received in China, particularly by the mainland government.

Whatever their motive for posting these videos, they would not be safe there now, as there is no freedom of speech in China. I don't think they are still in China, but wonder about their wives' whereabout, and their safety.

hickok45
Loony tunes classic
DemolitionRanch
Lots of various music videos
loads of how to videos

hickok45
Loony tunes classic
DemolitionRanch
Lots of various music videos
loads of how to videos
I watch a lot of hickok45's videos.

Back