Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?

Ha. Yeah, my wife and daughter often watch videos on their tiny cell phone screens. Of course, they watch landscape videos holding their phone in portrait orientation making the video even smaller (2.5" wide?). I don't get it. I can barely even see what they're trying to watch at that scale. My daughter sits and watches hour long video podcasts that way. Bonkers.

Being nearsighted, I watched my 14" laptop screen at a distance of 15" from my nose. The laptop rests on my chest.

It's equivalent to watching a 112" TV at a distance of 10 ft.

I upgrade to a 50" Hisense TV in our family room earlier this year, replacing a 39" Insignia TV (we "cascaded" TVs, 39" went to bedroom, 32" in bedroom went to my office, 32" in office went to workshop). Based on where one sits, it is 7'-11" away. The distance works fine for me.

The Hisense was on sale earlier this year, plus with a birthday Walmart gift card I ended up spending about $150 for it. The only problem I have had with it is one evening it displayed bad colors on all of the active things being shown, but interestingly not on the static menus. That lasted for a couple of hours, then went away. Based on the messages, it might have been due to an update going on at the time.

I likely will not get anything bigger for the family room - that would involve reconfiguring things, likely mounting it on a wall above the mantlepiece. DW uses the mantelpiece for ancestor photos, so that change will not happen. I do have an Epson projection in my man cave that is 1080p and is mounted to give 100" or so diagonal, and that works fine for us.

I feel like a luddite here with my 50" Panasonic plasma, purchased in 2011. :)

I am also waiting for ATSC 3.0 tuners to be added to more models.

Will probably move to a 4K, 65" OLED once that happens & finally drop cable for OTA & streaming.

Heck, I watch too much TV anyways.

I'm sure my eyes are too old ever to benefit from 8K displays.

I feel like a luddite here with my 50" Panasonic plasma, purchased in 2011. :)

I am also waiting for ATSC 3.0 tuners to be added to more models.

Will probably move to a 4K, 65" OLED once that happens & finally drop cable for OTA & streaming.

Heck, I watch too much TV anyways.

I'm sure my eyes are too old ever to benefit from 8K displays.

Heck I think we have you beat 50" Panasonic plasma only 720P purchased in 2008. It still has a beautiful picture. TV mounted to the wall...very heavy may need help to get it down if we ever replace it. We do streaming and OTA all the time.
Still running a regular old DVD player and 10 Disc CD player too. Have too many DVDs and CDs to give up on.

Heck I think we have you beat 50" Panasonic plasma only 720P purchased in 2008. It still has a beautiful picture. TV mounted to the wall...very heavy may need help to get it down if we ever replace it. We do streaming and OTA all the time.
Still running a regular old DVD player and 10 Disc CD player too. Have too many DVDs and CDs to give up on.
Still have a few hundred cd's myself/ Also 2 channel audio system with nice floor standing speakers separate amp, preamp etc.
Still sounds great
Only have a 50" LED TV myself, TCL roku version that was only $398 on Amazon Black Friday. Looks great.:)

Maybe we should rename this thread “how ancient is your TV”? Lol

Not me. In fact, I kept downsizing my TV over the years until I finally gave it away.

Same here. I gave my last TV away in 2009 to someone who was collecting them for an art project. Since then, I watch my content on Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on a 24" computer monitor, seated on the sofa 7 feet in front of the screen. I live in a very small studio apartment, so a large screen would be impractical. However, I notice that my family members in the UK also have small screens. One brother (in his late 70's) and his wife watch their content on a laptop. The other brother (who is 70) and his wife have a small TV in their living room. At a guess, it is probably around 24-26". They watch it regularly, but have never liked screens that dominate the room. I feel similarly.

add info

Just upsized last week!

1. Sit about 13ft away.

2. Old TV was 4K UHD basic model Sceptre from walmart 65".

3. New TV is 85" Sony X91J.

4. No trouble adjusting - can now read most of the small type at the bottom of commercials! Also seems like shows show characters texting and we could never read what was bring typed or received!

5. Room is 15 ft wide and I was getting ready to build bookshelves so it made sense to determine the tv size.

Was highly considering the Hisense 85" U7H that was just coming out and was going to wait ubtil the price went down as Amazon started selling them for just over $1900 but then raised the price to over $2100.

Found the Sony on sale $1800 which was $1,000 less than it had been previously so I decided to go for it. We are not videophiles so it looks fantastic to both of us.

Pic shows relationship of 65" on wall to new set. Green tape shows difference when mounted, Wanted to make sure I had a minimum of 4' on each side for bookcase shelves.

Attachments

• PXL_20220921_134104033.jpg
    PXL_20220921_134104033.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
We put an 82" tv in our new living room three years ago when we worked on our home. Went with an LED since the room is bright and OLED's have more glare. We enjoy TV and really like the big screen. 4K content on a big screen is immersive.

AOgmbHjb.jpg

Just upsized last week!

1. Sit about 13ft away.

4. No trouble adjusting - can now read most of the small type at the bottom of commercials! Also seems like shows show characters texting and we could never read what was bring typed or received!

5. Room is 15 ft wide and I was getting ready to build bookshelves so it made sense to determine the tv size.

Was highly considering the Hisense 85" U7H that was just coming out and was going to wait ubtil the price went down as Amazon started selling them for just over $1900 but then raised the price to over $2100.

Found the Sony on sale $1800 which was $1,000 less than it had been previously so I decided to go for it. We are not videophiles so it looks fantastic to both of us.

Pic shows relationship of 65" on wall to new set. Green tape shows difference when mounted, Wanted to make sure I had a minimum of 4' on each side for bookcase shelves.
wmc, that's awesome!! Great decision to go larger on the screen size and it appears to be a perfect fit for your room and over your cabinet. Now if you keep the knick knacks and photo frames off the cabinet that impede seeing the full picture, you'll be golden! I need to move the picture frames when I watch my large TV that sits close to the top of our cabinet underneath.

I don't know if you're a football fan but watching Amazon's Thursday night football on my LG OLED TV is an amazing experience. I'm not sure what level of cameras and streaming they are using, but it is certainly the BEST designed for HIGH QUALITY viewing compared to regular broadcast/ cable TV. Check it out.

Just upsized last week!

1. Sit about 13ft away.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the pic.

We put an 82" tv in our new living room three years ago when we worked on our home. Went with an LED since the room is bright and OLED's have more glare. We enjoy TV and really like the big screen. 4K content on a big screen is immersive.

AOgmbHjb.jpg
That is a nice living room. Agree you would need an LED TV in that room with all the light coming in from the windows. Thanks for the pic.

I'm considering getting a new TV. I would be going from a 55" to a 75" or 77" TV. I sit 9.5 feet away from the TV screen.

If you've gotten a new, bigger TV recently I have some questions for you.

1. How far away is your seating position from the TV screen?

2. What was the size of your old (smaller) TV?

3. What is the size of your new (larger) TV?

4. What was your experience to acclimating to the new size?

5. Now that you've had the new TV for a while, did you get the right size? Or should you have gone bigger? Or smaller?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

In our living room we have a 65" TV - we get the biggest one that will fit well on the wall. In the basement we have a projector and a 135" screen with theatre chairs. My husband is the one that really wants the big TVs and screens, but you really can't go too big lol. There is not any acclimatizing that we have done, we have just enjoyed the bigger/better picture.

UP-Size? Definitely.nkt...

No disrespect to those billboard-sized.TVs, but me, I've.gone SMALLER....

I ditched cable,.went with Verizon Wireless Gateway service, and now I enjoy internet-based TV on my Chromebook from my favorite chair or.in bed.

...and I still enjoy my modest 36" diag.flat screen TV

Life is good, and I still have unused wall space. 😊👍

I've spoken to many TV "Experts", even ABT here just north of O'Hare, and the optimum by far, said by many is 3x - 4x maximum, the distance from the size of the TV. My TV is 48" (4') and I sit on average 10-12' from the TV.
All seating in the LR is about that.....10-14' away.

3 Bedrooms are 32" TV, and beds are approx 8-10' away. Comfy for us at night.

My 55" LG screen has started to go on and off randomly. 40" from bedroom moved to fill. Definitely not cutting it. May have to upgrade early.

Watch mostly on the iPad while doing other things. On the rare occasion we sit in the living room to watch we have a 55” which is fine! Could go bigger but why? During the pandemic when we watched more movies I thought about going bigger but I still prefer the immersive nature of a movie theatre. No TV gets you that even at 85”

My 55" LG screen has started to go on and off randomly. 40" from bedroom moved to fill. Definitely not cutting it. May have to upgrade early.

We have a 55" LG plasma tv.
It sometimes becomes unresponsive to the hand control.
Weirdly, this is caused by dust settling inside near where everything plugs into the tv.
By either inserting a jack, or blowing into the tv it fixes it.
We've had to do this about 2x per year for the past 4 years.

One time it was the control, I looked at the control via my phone camera video and couldn't see any flashing of the IR, so bought a new one on Amazon for ~$10.

For TV's there is no such thing as too big. With 4K you can sit as close as you want (especially OLED) (QLED LED with full array backlight for brightness) 82" to 85" and sit close enough to fill your peripheral vision you won't regret it :)

We have a 55" LG plasma tv.
It sometimes becomes unresponsive to the hand control.
Weirdly, this is caused by dust settling inside near where everything plugs into the tv.
By either inserting a jack, or blowing into the tv it fixes it.
We've had to do this about 2x per year for the past 4 years.

One time it was the control, I looked at the control via my phone camera video and couldn't see any flashing of the IR, so bought a new one on Amazon for ~$10.
I had it unplugged for a few days, plugged it back in and now it seems like it is working again. It forgot all the channels so I did a rescan. Guess it just needed a re-boot.

Size matters

Our opinion is it can never be too big. 83" in family room, 81" in game room, 65" in bedroom (need to upgrade it!).

I'm going to have to stop reading these spending money threads. I decided to upgrade to a bigger size for my living room. Bought a 65"(from 55") LG QNED85 mini-led tv. Below is a review if anyone is thinking mini-led over oled. For my brightest environment I thought this was a better way to go. Blacks are very nice but I'm sure not as good as oled.

I'm pleased with the set and got it at a good price from Amazon. Super quick delivery too

Back
Top Bottom