Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?

I’ve thought about going from our 4K UHD 55” to a 65” or 75” - but not worth it to me to spend the money until there’s also a significant change in tech/picture quality too. Not at all tempted by 8K. OLED is nice but not enough of an upgrade vs our LED TV IMO. Maybe mini LED (or micro LED) will change my mind, but so far they’re (very) expensive and (very) rare.

Last edited:
When we got our 55 back in 2007, the best buy dude said we were maybe getting a TV too big for the room - I think it's 14 feet or something on that wall.

It was fine, of course, and it's long since been replaced by a 65". I could easily see going bigger. It's hard to gauge with the furniture unchanged as the scale gets exaggerated.

Either one will be fine. Just make sure the legs don't exceed the table top.

Great advice. I've noticed that many of the new TV models are getting away from the widely spaced "chicken feet" style stand and getting back to the center pedestal post style of stand. There are also some TV with the chicken feet stands that have two position where you can mount them widely spaced or more narrowly spaced.

Not recently, but on my way up in screen size, I never met a bigger screen that I didn’t like. :D At first they seem “too big”, but after a very short time, you can’t imagine how you ever thought that 55” TV was big. Even in a room where I’m almost sitting on top of my largest TV (65”), I like it a lot and wish I’d have gone bigger.

We upgraded our main TV during the Covid period, Oct 2020.

1. Seating about 10 to 12 feet from screen.

2. Old TV was a 32" flat screen.

3. New TV is a 65" flat screen

4. Perfect for our needs, no regrets. We are not really big into TV, hardly ever watch sports but looking forward to the upcoming World Cup soccer matches. 90% of our TV watching is vial streaming, never had and never will subscribe to cable TV

Last edited:
I’ve thought about going from our 4K UHD 55” to a 65” or 75” - but not worth it to me to spend the money until there’s also a significant change in tech/picture quality too. Not at all tempted by 8K. OLED is nice but not enough of an upgrade vs our LED TV IMO. Maybe mini LED (or micro LED) will change my mind, but so far they’re (very) expensive and (very) rare.

Mini-LED TV's are better than QLED TVs, at least on paper. It's hard to see a big difference unless you are looking at content that challenges the TV, like white objects on dark backgrounds. Or dark scenes with shadows. Or HDR10 content or DolbyVision content (most streaming services nowadays.)

I do think the OLED is a big improvement over LED TV's and mini-LED TVs. That's because my pet peeve with LED TV's is "blooming" and poor black levels and "black crushing". This is where OLED TV's are definitely better. In fact, an OLED TV can handle all the things that trouble an LED TV with ease. They also better viewing angles. But is an OLED worth $1,000 more than a mini-LED TV? Probably not. However, we're doing a TV shuffle here. We got rid of an old analog TV and want to rotate our existing TV's to different locations. That leaves an opening in the man cave for a new TV.

Considering the HiSense TV I've been watching for 3 years now was free (wife won it at a company Christmas party) and we haven't bought a TV since 2012, I'm OK to splurge a bit on a new TV. Midpack, you will be interested to know that I'm probably not going to buy a Roku TV (since they don't make OLED TVs with that OS yet.) If you remember we've gone back and forth on the merits of a Roku TV vs. simply getting a Roku stick. I can see your logic now. Get whatever TV you want and add the stick.

We upgraded our main TV during the Covid period, Oct 2020.

1. Seating about 10 to 12 feet from screen.

2. Old TV was a 32" flat screen.

3. New TV is a 65" flat screen

4. Perfect for our needs, no regrets. We are not really big into TV, hardly ever watch sports but looking forward to the upcoming World Cup soccer matches. 90% of our TV watching is vial streaming, never had and never will subscribe to cable TV

You went from a 32" to a 65". I love this!

Back in 2012 I went from a 32" tube TV to a 55" LCD TV. The difference was amazing. You went even larger. Cool.

Not recently, but on my way up in screen size, I never met a bigger screen that I didn’t like. :D At first they seem “too big”, but after a very short time, you can’t imagine how you ever thought that 55” TV was big. Even in a room where I’m almost sitting on top of my largest TV (65”), I like it a lot and wish I’d have gone bigger.

An oft-heard lament.

I won't be getting bigger than a 75"-77" because it would be dominate the room and it would be $1,000 more (at least.)

I have not bought any television recently, but I've had some big ones. Everyone's a little different in what size tv they like. It's easy to almost live inside the television if they're too big for the area. And price also matters. Up to 55", they can be reasonably priced. Get up into the 70's, and the price goes up.

If you're 10 feet or less away, a 55" would do you. I'm sitting in the master bedroom looking at a 42" from about 10', and it's okay.

My largest tv is an old generation 60" plasma screen with great "blacks". It's probably 130 pounds in weight--which killed the plasmas. We have two 55" and a 42" in the other bedrooms. (The 11 year old has no tv in her bedroom.) We have a 40" in the kitchen keeping room which is the largest that fits in the cabinetry.

Our RV has 25" tv's in the bedrooms and a 45" in the kitchen/living room. No reason to rough it too much--since campgrounds have satellite television.

I have no trouble acclimating to any new television. The pictures get better all the time.

Great advice. I've noticed that many of the new TV models are getting away from the widely spaced "chicken feet" style stand and getting back to the center pedestal post style of stand. There are also some TV with the chicken feet stands that have two position where you can mount them widely spaced or more narrowly spaced.

I would not buy a set with those chicken feet stands. If I got rid of my entertainment center the wall is big enough for a really big wall mounted set like 86", but I would hate to get rid of that piece of furniture just to have a larger TV. We honestly would be happy with just a new 65" as our TV is 7 years old and cannot produce a picture like current sets.

Exactly my experience!

1. Sit about 15ft away.
2. Old TV was about 50".
3. New TV is 75".
4. No trouble adjusting.
5. I think I got the right size, but I have room to go bigger in the future if I change my mind

I had to do some major remodeling to get the 75" to fit, including taking out our fireplace

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.34.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.34.18 PM.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.27.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.27.28 PM.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
1. Sit about 15ft away.
2. Old TV was about 50".
3. New TV is 75".
4. No trouble adjusting.
5. I think I got the right size, but I have room to go bigger in the future if I change my mind

I had to do some major remodeling to get the 75" to fit, including taking out our fireplace

Wow! That is fabulous! Nicely done.

We just bought a 65" OLED for our home in Switzerland for 798 CHF (about $844 USD including taxes) from Panasonic. It replaces a 55" LED TV that we moved into another room. The picture is superb and the size is just right. We have two 65" OLEDs at our home in California and the size is okay with a viewing distance of about 12 feet.

Prices of electronics are really starting to crash. This Black Friday will be a great time to upgrade your TV.

https://www.interdiscount.ch/it/tv-...tVDJ8waC1dnEe_2YNDhoCOVIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm considering getting a new TV. I would be going from a 55" to a 75" or 77" TV. I sit 9.5 feet away from the TV screen.

If you've gotten a new, bigger TV recently I have some questions for you.

1. How far away is your seating position from the TV screen?

2. What was the size of your old (smaller) TV?

3. What is the size of your new (larger) TV?

4. What was your experience to acclimating to the new size?

5. Now that you've had the new TV for a while, did you get the right size? Or should you have gone bigger? Or smaller?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

I own 2 LG 65” OLEDs as my main viewing room TVs in my 2 homes.
1- about 8 feet in 1 home and 15 feet in other
2-Maybe 55” in each (it’s been awhile)
3-noted above
4- loved the new size and quality of these TVs
5- wish I had gotten larger in the condo (15’ viewing distance)

Go as large as you can fit and afford! I was in Best Buy this week and they are displaying HUGE TVs. The Hisense 75” I saw with the Hisense rep who was standing there almost made me want to upsize my TV!

We sit 12 ft away. A year or two ago we upsized from a 55" plasma to a 65" OLED. We are quite happy with it. I think a 65" would be fine for you.

I noticed a few people here own the hisense tv. do you recommend them or are they problematic? I was considering one of them but do not know much about them. tia.

I noticed a few people here own the hisense tv. do you recommend them or are they problematic? I was considering one of them but do not know much about them. tia.

Here is a reviewer that I follow. He gives this particular model a good review but with caveats. Almost all reviews has pros and cons tho. I have never owned this brand so can't give any advice.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. My current 55" HiSense is their economy model, MSRP was $349 (I think.) My wife won it at a company Christmas party in 2019. It's a basic TV with a decent, though not great, picture. We have an LG LCD TV from 2014 that has a much better picture. Mine's a Roku model but HiSense also has TV's with the Google TV operating system.

In fact, I was looking at their latest model, the U8H along with the TCL S655, debating which one to get. If I were to get a TV with a mini-LED screen it would be one of these two. Unbeatable price to quality ratio.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense

My HiSense was from Target and reading the reviews it seems there have been some problems with my model. (Then again, based on their complaints some of the negative reviewers might be challenged by turning on a 3-way table lamp!) Again, mine is the cheapest 55" HiSense Roku TV available. It was on sale on Black Friday for $298 the same year my wife won hers.

I've only had a couple of weird problems with it in the three years I've had it. One time it wouldn't turn on, not by using the remote, not by using the power button on the unit itself. Unplugged the TV for 1 minute, plugged back in and all was normal again.

Another time I woke up in bed at 3 am and thought I heard conversations downstairs. Alarmed, I nervously crept down the stairs. I quickly deduced the TV was on in the basement. I went into the basement and shut it off. Next night there was a repeat performance, this time at around 1 am. Repeated my solution. Next day I Googled the problem and found that low batteries can cause this phenomena. I replaced the batteries and the ghostly visitors watching my TV at night had fled.

By the way, Wal Mart has their own private branded economy TV line named Onn. From what I can see they some of them appear to be rebranded HiSense models.

I've gotten the bug to get an OLED TV, so the HiSense and TCL models aren't on my radar right now.

Last edited:
We upgraded our living room TV a year or so ago from a 46 inch LCD (still works, so we moved it into the guest room) to a 65 inch OLED 4k TV.

We sit about 8 ft away. No issues from that distance.

We probably could have fur a 75 inch TV but didn't want it. The 65 looks good on the wall where it's hanging between two windows.

I think the OLED was a bigger requirement for us vs. maximizing screen size. It is amazing to watch 4k shows and movies on, and we love having friends over to watch the Super Bowl.

We have a 46 inch LED in our bedroom that we'll upgrade if and when it stops working. Otherwise it's fine as our second TV.

Actually just realized we now have 4 TVs - living room, bedroom, home gym and guest room!

Upsizing TVs? Our TVs have not been on much.

Instead, I often watch videos on my 3-lb 14" laptop. My wife watches hers on a 10" netbook. We bring them on our current European trip, and while I make this post, my wife is watching her video now.

You don't want to have to turn your head to see the full screen.

Agreed. A lot of folks buy the biggest TV they can find and place it at an uncomfortable position (like over a fireplace). It always reminds me of sitting in the front row of a theater, looking up at a giant screen constantly moving your head back and forth to see the whole picture. No thanks. Makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.

Our "new" TV is now five years old, a 49" Sony 4K model. We typically sit about 10-12 feet from the screen and it's fine by me. The center of the screen is just above eye level, making it very comfortable to watch. Best of all, the TV doesn't take over the entire living room. Except for a center speaker in the entertainment center and a subwoofer in the corner, the remaining speakers are mounted in-wall so they don't take up any space either.

I could probably fit a 55" in our current entertainment center, or remove the side cabinets (part of my design plan when I built it) and accommodate a TV up to 8 feet wide. It will give me options when the time comes to replace our existing TV, but honestly I have no desire to go bigger. It will mostly just depend on what's popular at the time.

We got rid of the TV in our bedroom 8-10 years ago. I thought I would miss it, but we never really watched it much anyway. It's nice not to have that distraction in our private sanctuary.

Upsizing TVs? Our TVs have not been on much.

Instead, I often watch videos on my 3-lb 14" laptop. My wife watches hers on a 10" netbook.

Ha. Yeah, my wife and daughter often watch videos on their tiny cell phone screens. Of course, they watch landscape videos holding their phone in portrait orientation making the video even smaller (2.5" wide?). I don't get it. I can barely even see what they're trying to watch at that scale. My daughter sits and watches hour long video podcasts that way. Bonkers.

Make sure ATSC 3.0 tuner if you intend to cut the cord,use an antenna and or future proof.
Oldmike

Back
Top Bottom