iPhone 12

Do you folks with a Max iPhone find them to be physically too big for pockets?

I had a 6S+ to try the larger size out (back when it came out).

It was really was a bit too large for me. I keep it in my jeans pockets, but there were times it was a problem. My next phone was the iPhone X and I liked that form factor better.

To me there are two reasons to get the iPhone 12 Pro Max: best battery life of any iPhone and best camera. If you really want the very best camera on a phone this has it. And it was by far the best video recording of any phone. They showed a video of one mounted on a car and the resulting video using the optical stabilization was kind of magical. And it can shoot video in 4K HDR with Dolby Vision up to 60 fps.

Like other posters here I don't see a big reason to upgrade. My iPhone X is paid off through Verizon this month so bill goes down over $80 next month for DW and me. Woohoo - I'll pocket the savings!

For those who are considering it, I got an email today from T-Mobile. They are giving 50% off an iPhone 12 if you pre-order it now. No change to your plan is necessary.

FYI, I decided on the iPhone 12 mini (instead of the 12). Just have to wait until November 6 to order now.

For those who are considering it, I got an email today from T-Mobile. They are giving 50% off an iPhone 12 if you pre-order it now. No change to your plan is necessary.

It's up to 50% off, depending on what model phone you're trading in. For my iPhone X, they're offering $415, instead of $500 max.

From their offer, "Receive your trade-in credit via 30 monthly bill credits."

I read this as you have to have T-Mobile for 30 months or else you won't get the full credit. No prepayment possible.

Also from their offer, "If you cancel your line before receiving 30 bill credits, you may owe up to the full value of your device"

So you have to commit to staying with T-Mobile for the next 2.5 years.

The total cost at T-Mobile for an iPhone 12 Pro is $1000 - $415 = $585

If I go with Apple: $970 - $250 = $720, $135 more than T-Mobile. The $970 is after the 3% discount using an Apple Card. This would be financed over 24 months with Apple (no interest) and is for an unlocked phone.

The hassle of going through T-Mobile isn't worth it for me. I'm also not sure if I'll be with them in a couple of years. But if you're ok with their requirements, they are offering a better deal.

The hassle of going through T-Mobile isn't worth it for me. I'm also not sure if I'll be with them in a couple of years. But if you're ok with their requirements, they are offering a better deal.

Very understandable. In my case, I've been with T-Mobile for several years and very happy with them. Can't imagine switching, so it would be a good deal for me.

Luckily, my two year old XS is just fine, so it will be at least another year before I'm interested in a new phone.

Very understandable. In my case, I've been with T-Mobile for several years and very happy with them. Can't imagine switching, so it would be a good deal for me.

Luckily, my two year old XS is just fine, so it will be at least another year before I'm interested in a new phone.

I've been happy with T-Mobile too. The problem is that I'm currently on a family plan that will most like be dissolved in the next year or so. I don't qualify for the 55+ plan and I'm not willing to spend $60+ per line. I'm holding out on this for as long as possible, but if I'm forced to move, I'll probably look at Google Fi. The plus side to their plan is you pay for only the data you use and you get high-speed data around the world. The downside is that I'd lose all the extra perks that T-Mobile provides.

I ended up ordering an iPhone 12 Pro through Apple. It'll be delivered in 2-3 weeks. I had no complaints with my iPhone X, but I'll enjoy the slightly bigger screen and better camera. I usually upgrade every 3 years, so right on time for me.

I have an iPhone XS. I usually keep the model for 2-3 years and then trade it in so I won’t be getting this year’s model. I don’t care about 5G yet. I like a smaller phone that easily fits in my hand and pocket. The camera and memory are important. I only use my phone camera these days with impressive results.

Try decluttr. They have decent trade in amounts for your old phone.

We've saved a small fortune in the past few years buying mint-condition phones being resold from corporate inventory on Swappa:

https://swappa.com

Learned about them and their not-quite-as-good competitor Gazelle from Mr. Money Mustache forums. We buy unlocked late-model iPhones (have XR's currently). Free shipping, no sales tax. Combine that with the Ting MVNO (we opt for Verizon in our area - their default carrier is T-Mobile) at $16 a month and even absurdly expensive iPhones are affordable on a cheapskate's budget.

We love to take pictures but are by no means ambitious photographers so I guess we're easily satisfied. Will probably buy the 12 mini in a few years....I like the small size (we find our XR's clunky) and my aging eyes say an iPad beats a Phablet-sized phone every time. YMMV

the telco's than the end user. I have not seen any real slow down using lte. I understand you can download a movie in less than 20 seconds. But, how often are you going to do this after you have shown all your friends.

1. People who travel or use Cellular data a lot.

2. People without a computer. My daughter has no computer. Her phone is her computer. She does watch video on it and uses it for lots of stuff.

I had an XS Pro. I am female so most clothes have small pockets. I found that I could put it in some pockets. I had to be careful and choose accordingly. The next year I got the 11 Pro which was smaller and fit in everything. But I am going to the 12 Pro Max because I miss the larger screen.

There is a nice size comparison on the MacRumors site showing all the recent models next to each other:

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.10.12 AM.jpg

More than happy with my model 7.... Does everything I want/need.

DW and I are still using our iPhone 6 Plus’s and we could go on but battery life is shorter (though OK) and we can no longer get the latest OS - so we’re buying unlocked iPhone 12’s. Don’t want the Mini, don’t need Pro added features. Only decision for us is 64 or 128GB. And which carrier - we’ve been with Verizon (with a big employee discount), I’d like to go to Visible.

We’re also upgrading to iPad Air 4’s this Fall, from an iPad Air 2 and an iPad 5.

There’ve been quite a few misinformed posts above (Android fans, Apple haters?), mostly corrected already though. Accurate info is readily available. The iPhone value proposition is as good with the 12 as its ever been IMO.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone X. Thinking about getting the 12 Pro for the better camera. But I can wait a while. I probably won't be taking many cell phone photos until next summer.

DW and I are still using our iPhone 6 Plus’s and we could go on but battery life is shorter (though OK) and we can no longer get the latest OS - so we’re buying unlocked iPhone 12’s. Don’t want the Mini, don’t need Pro added features. Only decision for us is 64 or 128GB. And which carrier - we’ve been with Verizon (with a big employee discount), I’d like to go to Visible.

We’re also upgrading to iPad Air 4’s this Fall, from an iPad Air 2 and an iPad 5.

There’ve been quite a few misinformed posts above (Android fans, Apple haters?), mostly corrected already though. Accurate info is readily available. The iPhone value proposition is as good with the 12 as its ever been IMO.
We tried going with Visible last year when my DW's phone gave out. For me it wasn't worth the hassle trying to sign up with them. No help from customer service, everything is online chat only. I tried 3 times and finally called Verizon and ordered the XR for us both. We like the phones and mostly got familiar with the os. My only gripe is the phone storage. I filled the 64G up fast . I had a Samsung with 128 g before. I have all my photos going to the google photo cloud now so it is better.

We tried going with Visible last year when my DW's phone gave out. For me it wasn't worth the hassle trying to sign up with them. No help from customer service, everything is online chat only. I tried 3 times and finally called Verizon and ordered the XR for us both. We like the phones and mostly got familiar with the os. My only gripe is the phone storage. I filled the 64G up fast . I had a Samsung with 128 g before. I have all my photos going to the google photo cloud now so it is better.
We’ll see. We can have Visible Unlimited for $70/month. Verizon would be $120/month for unlimited - no way I’m paying that. Verizon has a 5GB plan for $80 that might be fine for us.

The price difference between an iPhone 12 and Pro with 128GB is $120. That’s not that much for a phone I’ll have for a few years. That’s one of the reasons I decided to go with the Pro version.

We’ll see. We can have Visible Unlimited for $70/month. Verizon would be $120/month for unlimited - no way I’m paying that. Verizon has a 5GB plan for $80 that might be fine for us.

You can easily get Visible down to $50/month (for 2 lines), just recruit a couple random folks to join your “party”.

1. People who travel or use Cellular data a lot.

2. People without a computer. My daughter has no computer. Her phone is her computer. She does watch video on it and uses it for lots of stuff.

I did not mean to imply that there was no market, just not as big as most people think, and then the size of the market is brought about by 5g hype. What 5g brings to the market above LTE is questionable. Yes people who travel use a lot of Cellular data, but for the most part they are not transmitting time sensitive large data tranches. I don't doubt that there are professionals that transmit video, or pictures, i.e. insurance adjusters, but this is not the majority of the folks drooling over 5g. As for those that use their phone as a computer, 5g speed is still not going to do them much better than LTE. You can't watch a movie any faster with 5g than LTE, yes you may be able to watch in 4K, but we are back to a 4k 6 inch screen. I say they have been sold the sizzle not the steak. Once the novilty of 'I have 5g, look how fast I can download a movie goes away' it is still a phone/computer.

I assumed the 5G excitement is around the promise that you may be able to replace your home internet or bundle everything at some point. I know lots of people who are casting video from their phone on to a larger screen.

I assumed the 5G excitement is around the promise that you may be able to replace your home internet or bundle everything at some point. I know lots of people who are casting video from their phone on to a larger screen.
That’s the ad copy, but the US is MANY years from that potential. 5G is more than one frequency, and the really fast mm wave 5G doesn’t travel very far, can be disrupted by walls or even rain, and most people outside cities will never see it. But for texts, phone calls and surfing you don’t even need 5G. The low band 5G isn’t much faster than 4G LTE. Mid band is the sweet spot, and the least built out in the US, where Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have focused more on high and low bands. Long way to go...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom