iPhone 12

Seems like everyone likes the blue... I order the Pro max in Blue. Set to arrive next Friday.

I'm eyeing the mini, but I want to hold one in my hand before I commit.

I've been using an SE for a number of months and really like the size - and it has been great without a case. I do miss having better camera (especially night mode in low light) and the mini will have noticeably more screen size without increase the actual size much at all. I finally I do miss face ID (the SE uses the home button TouchID).

I miss TouchID. I was hoping that they would add it back to the iPhone 12 in addition to FaceID. I find that FaceID doesn’t work too well when I’m wearing a mask. Go figure.

My iPhone 7 has at least another two years left in it. Maybe more.

Ah, the Chuckanut Kiss of Death has struck again.

My iPhone 7 has bit the dust. It no longer can access my cell network. It's great on wifi and I can think of it as an small iPad, I guess. But, I need to replace it.

The question is with what? The 12 mini looks wonderful except for the price.

Maybe a somewhat used iPhone 11?

Last edited:
DH bought the IPhone 12 Pro. He upgraded from a IPhone X. I have the 11 Pro Max so I can’t see any reason to upgrade at this point.

But I see these purchases falling in the category of Blow That Dough more than any absolute need to purchase them in most cases. We have been home since March. No travel, no shows, no restaurants. There is nothing to spend any money on and we are way below the withdrawal rate we can comfortably be at. So what’s wrong with upgrading to a new phone just for the personal enjoyment of it? It’s still a lot less than we would have spent if we did some travel and ate out in restaurants all year.

64G is the minimum usually. I get at least 128G. I struggled with not enough memory on my last iPhone (64G) and it was annoying.

The Iphone 12 base model comes with 64GB. If you take a lot of photos this may not be enough storage.

The Iphone 12 Pro base model comes with 128GB.

If you bump up the Iphone 12 to 128GB it comes to $879, while the 128GB Iphone Pro is $999. The 12 Pro is outselling the 12 because once you bump up the 12 to 128GB it comes within $120 of the Pro model, which comes with a much better camera and a stainless steel body.

I ordered a mini. I have been reading reports that the first users are saying the battery life is not good. FYI

How much storage do people get on their iPhones? Most come with 64 Gigs.

The minimum for the 12 Pro Max is 128 GB which is what I ordered. I currently have an 11 Pro with 64 GB which is fine for me, although would be a problem if I decided to download movies or something. Making the minimum 128 GB seems about right. I can't imagine needed more than that for me though.

How much storage do people get on their iPhones? Most come with 64 Gigs.
64G is the minimum usually. I get at least 128G. I struggled with not enough memory on my last iPhone (64G) and it was annoying.
:confused: There’s no one right answer for everyone. How much storage does your old phone have, and how much headroom?

You can fit a lot of (still) pictures on a 64GB iPhone. If you’re keeping everything on iCloud (of another cloud service) you don’t need as much storage on your iPhone. If you stream music like many today, versus downloading, you don’t need much space for music. OTOH if you like to download movies and TV shows, you could regret not having more than 64GB. 128GB may be overkill, or it could be insufficient...depends on your expected usage over the life of the phone.

https://www.idropnews.com/rumors/ip...w-much-iphone-storage-you-really-need/144523/

https://www.imore.com/64gb-enough-iphone-i-think-so-and-ill-tell-you-why

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/how-much-storage-iphone-ipad-3658523/

Last edited:
:confused: There’s no one right answer for everyone. How much storage does your old phone have, and how much headroom?

You can fit a lot of (still) pictures on a 64GB iPhone. If you’re keeping everything on iCloud (of another cloud service) you don’t need as much storage on your iPhone. If you stream music like many today, versus downloading, you don’t need much space for music. OTOH if you like to download movies and TV shows, you could regret not having more than 64GB. 128GB may be overkill, or it could be insufficient...depends on your expected usage over the life of the phone.

Thanks.

I do not use cloud storage except for the 'free' amount that comes with things like the iPhone and Dropbox.

My experience with streaming music, audio books, etc. has been that often I don't have good WiFi or cell connectivity, which makes streaming a not-so-good alternative. So, I will probably load up my phone with music and audio books before setting out on a road trip.

Currently, I am looking at the 2020 iPhone SE. It has a late model chip (A13) powering it and all the bells and whistles I could want. Costco offers a small discount of $20, and the extra 64 gig is another $60. I think that makes more sense than spending $800+ on a new iPhone 12 Mini.

Last edited:
I have made the decision to go with the SE. For me it is the best value for the dollar. I'll take advantage of the $20 discount from Costco. I ordered it delivered to my local Costco where I will pick it up on my next visit. I find that this time of the year delivery people are rushed and make mistakes. Just another day I got a neighbor's package and she got mine. Also, the Porch Pirates are out in force.

No doubt, next week we will see the 2020 iPhone SE offered with a $50 to $100 Costco gift card. :eek:

If I go with Apple: $970 - $250 = $720, $135 more than T-Mobile. The $970 is after the 3% discount using an Apple Card. This would be financed over 24 months with Apple (no interest) and is for an unlocked phone.

A pleasant surprise: I received a $150 trade-in credit from T-Mobile for my iPhone 12 Pro bought in the Apple store. That drops my total cost to $570. Not sure if the same deal was offered if you ordered the phone from T-Mobile. The $150 credit is on a prepaid Mastercard, which is easy enough to spend.

I have made the decision to go with the SE. For me it is the best value for the dollar. I'll take advantage of the $20 discount from Costco. I ordered it delivered to my local Costco where I will pick it up on my next visit. I find that this time of the year delivery people are rushed and make mistakes. Just another day I got a neighbor's package and she got mine. Also, the Porch Pirates are out in force.

No doubt, next week we will see the 2020 iPhone SE offered with a $50 to $100 Costco gift card. :eek:

Bought my wife the iPhone SE2 a few months ago to replace an aging iPhone 6 with a battery that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple of hours (she's a power user). I'm thinking of the same thing, though I'm an Android guy. I'm also frugal when it comes to phones - my current phone is a Moto G(4), which has a great screen, 64 gigs, a micro chip with another 64 gigs, 3 gigs of memory and a great screen. Unfortunately, the battery isn't holding a great charge anymore. I've thought about replacing it with another ~$200 phone, rather than the $400 iPhone SE2. The advantages of the SE2 are wireless charging and not needing different chargers than my wife. The advantages of an Android phone is that I can side load apps that aren't "approved" by Google (yes, I take appropriate security precautions).

What chaps my frugal <you know what> is the profit margin Apple gets on the SE2, which shares the vast majority of its parts with the iPhone 8. Android phone makers give much better value for the components, but then again, "value" is in the eye of the beholder....

Apple phones have a higher trade in value than Android phones though. So if you trade in phones every few years it may not really cost more to own an Apple phone.

Apple phones have a higher trade in value than Android phones though. So if you trade in phones every few years it may not really cost more to own an Apple phone.

True. I'm a frugal guy and like to get as much out of a device as I can. At the moment, I'm printing a document on a 20-year old HP Deskjet with an ink cartridge that I refilled myself.

There's even a website for technology-stretchers like me - www.itstillworks.com

Back
Top Bottom