Recommendations for Wi-Fi Mesh-Networking Kits

CoolRich59

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently replaced my almost decade old cable modem and wifi router.

Unfortunately, the new wifi router didn't improve the dead zones we have in our house. (The house is a 75-year-old, 2,500 sq ft ranch and the walls are not wifi friendly). I tried adding a wifi extender, but it didn't improve coverage very much. The deal killer was realizing that the extender created another network that you need to switch over to when you go to the other end of the house, and then switch back when you return.

So, now I'm looking into wi-fi mesh systems and am curious to know who has one and what they like or don't like. (For example, my bro-in-law rails against getting a wifi 6 system, claiming that they're not ready for prime time).

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

I have a Google mesh system. They call it something else now. I would really look at the mesh systems. I did mine to get better wifi on the outside patio in the old house. It was great out there. In the new (bigger) house it is "ok". Other systems might be better

I recently got this TP-Link Deco Mesh 3 pack using their second generation S4 units. It works great, fills all my dead/weak spots and extends out to the back yard and garage. Newer, more expensive, units have some advantages that I can't remember but didn't appeal to me. Oriented toward gamers or some such. I just wanted to improve streaming and iPad use in far corners. Just a caution, if you are a speed nut. The data rate cuts in half between the base unit and one of the mesh repeaters. Also, don't use an old cat 5 cable you have laying around to connect the base unit to the router (or a device to any unit). Those vintage cables will throttle you to 100MB. Although, lets face it, 100MB is more than most of us need.

Last edited:
We use the Google mesh 3 pack and it has been flawless. Additional units can be purchased and added, if you need 4 or more.

Most of the packaged mesh systems look very expensive to me. Linksys has always been good to me. From my invoice last fall: MR9000 Max-Stream AC3000 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 5 Router (Certified Refurbished) SKU: MR9000-RM2 $129.99

When the signal in our garage was a little weak I added one of these: https://www.linksys.com/us/wireless...inksys-velop-mesh-wifi-extender/p/p-whw0101p/

Now we have coverage out on the road, at least 50 yards from the garage.

Linksys offers a lot of deep deals on their web site, so shop both there and with the usual suspects.

We switched to Eero during the peak of the pandemic and have loved it.

Do you have a Roku TV by chance? If so, any issues?

We purchased an Eero last year and couldn’t get our TCL Roku TV to work. All the other Roku devices that plug into non-Roku TV’s worked. When I investigated on the web, there was a known problem between Roku and Eero. We sent back the Eero, but other than that issue we liked it.

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info.

Another question: Some of these kits have two devices, a lot have three, and some even have four. We're all on one story and I'm thinking that two devices should be plenty to get the coverage we need. But, that's assuming that a third/fourth device is to get coverage on other floors?

... Another question: Some of these kits have two devices, a lot have three, and some even have four. We're all on one story and I'm thinking that two devices should be plenty to get the coverage we need. But, that's assuming that a third/fourth device is to get coverage on other floors?
I started with the new WAP/Router only and found that its coverage was significantly better than the box it replaced, but the garage was still marginal, so I added the one mesh extender and don't have a need for anything else.

I started with the new WAP/Router only and found that its coverage was significantly better than the box it replaced, but the garage was still marginal, so I added the one mesh extender and don't have a need for anything else.
Thanks. I'm going to go with the TP-Link Deco X60. I liked a lot of the suggestions, but in looking at the specs, some of them don't have the latest/greatest security. Since I plan on having this for a while (my old router was close to 10 years old), I wanted to get something that has WPA3 security.

Another vote for the Orbi system. Love it. Super easy to set up. Works great!

+1 on Orbi; It works well with nearly 3000 SF house and around the pool area.

Another question: Some of these kits have two devices, a lot have three, and some even have four. We're all on one story and I'm thinking that two devices should be plenty to get the coverage we need. But, that's assuming that a third/fourth device is to get coverage on other floors?

Our home is one story, so there the footprint is pretty big (about 4,500 SF including garage and covered patio) and is all brick. The cable modem is smack dab in the middle and we have two "repeaters", basically on the opposite sides of the house. Works well. The attached floor plan shows the location of the transmitters.

Attachments

• Orbi.jpg
    Orbi.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I wanted to get something that has WPA3 security.

We use a a Synology RT2600ac along with two MR2200ac's for our mesh network. It's more fiddly than some, but gives me a number of extra features (such as the ability to hot failover to a secondary internet service when the primary fails).

Anyway, it has WPA3, which is nice, but be warned that some older devices get confused when the WPA3 support is turned on. So if you are having any problems with any of your WiFi devices turn off WPA3 to see if that helps.

It all depends on your topology. In our three-story home, we have the router on the 2nd floor and no need for a mesh system. WiFi signals travel upwards and downwards through a wood frame structure with no problem.

On the other hand, my MIL lives in a one-story apartment in a high rise building, and she needs 3 Orbi units in her place. There's an elevator shaft and lots of other steel and concrete, so a single router in one corner of the apartment left about half the space with no signal at all. I put the three mesh units approximately at the vertices of a right triangle with the elevator on the hypotenuse, and we now have a good strong signal everywhere.

... be warned that some older devices get confused when the WPA3 support is turned on. So if you are having any problems with any of your WiFi devices turn off WPA3 to see if that helps.
Thanks. I'm hoping it won't be a problem as, except for my old Macbook, our computers are pretty current. Our oldest device is our wireless printer. But, it sits in the closet where the router will be located and I can connect it via ethernet if necessary.

On a related note: I ordered the router from Amazon at 12:15pm. It was just delivered at 3:40pm. Wow. :eek:

We have the Google mesh network. Very easy to set up. Had it for a few years now.

Google updates the firmware automatically. I think forgetting to update could be a security risk. My experience before was that one had to look for updates and then the firm might just drop support without notice after some years. Update support is important.

Back
Top Bottom