Is it possible to connect your TV to your Wi-fi network?

Correct me if I’m wrong but you only need 8-10mb for 4K UHD Dolby Vision etc.

There are a couple of reasons to use an Apple TV (or Roku) instead of using the “smart” part of a smart TV. These include:

Privacy: many (most?) smart TVs report back what shows you watch. In fact, some cheap TV manufacturers make more money selling this info about you than the original sale.

Consistency: I really like that our two TV UIs are exactly the same. They sync up so that when I add an app on one, the other reflects the change. No confusion. Especially since our two TVs are different brands and thus have different smart TV UIs.

Speed: it’s not often a huge deal, but Smart TVs use slower (cheap) processors and so the UI is pretty laggy. Apple TVs (and late model Rokus) are much snappier.

Updating streaming (and other) apps is much easier than on some Smart TVs. the OS on some older Smart TVs doesn’t get updated anymore either.

Other random things I really like about the Apple TV. I can use my phone to type on the TV for things like searching. It also manages all the passwords for all the streaming apps so I don’t have to enter in the passwords over and over.

I use one Tablo to receive OTA broadcasts and can watch the content from it on any of our TVs using the Tablo Apple TV app.

The Apple TV also has some decent games - visiting youngsters can be entertained with games from Apple’s Arcade.

Wired ethernet is better for streaming video content, but if you are using the latest WiFi , it’s not too bad these days.

Great list! I also enjoy playing music on my AppleTV which is connected to my stereo. Before Apple Music it knew my whole library, now it does either.

Three different audio/visual setups in the house. One is primarily for Apple Fitness - another thing Apple TV supports spectacularly. Actually that setup uses the TV speakers whereas the other two are tied into stereo systems.,

OK...

I've attached two TVs to my Wi-Fi network, and am interested in subscribing to some of the streaming sites, like Paramount+.

My question now is: Where is the movie or video downloaded to? The TV or the Internet router?

Thanks, as always,

Roy in New Mexico

OK...

I've attached two TVs to my Wi-Fi network, and am interested in subscribing to some of the streaming sites, like Paramount+.

My question now is: Where is the movie or video downloaded to? The TV or the Internet router?

Thanks, as always,

Roy in New Mexico

It would be “downloaded” to the device you are using…the TV, the Roku box, the AppleTV box, etc., whatever device you use. However, I put “download” in quotes because they don’t necessarily download and store the movies. You “stream” them. Part of the movie downloads - it starts playing on the device before it is entirely downloaded - after a portion plays, it deletes what has already played. Some level of the movie may download, and in some cases, the entire movie may download. But it’s not like you see a movie file sitting on your device. It all happens automatically behind the scenes.

OK...

Thanks, as always,

Roy in New Mexico

Streaming means that it is playing on your TV as it is streaming in, but it’s not being saved anywhere. Of course it goes through your router, and the TV plays it, but doesn’t save it. There will be some buffering to make play smooth, but it doesn’t save the whole thing locally.

You download apps to your TV and then when you want to watch you open the app and choose what you want to watch. All the shows are within the app, kinda like watching a network TV channel but everything is on demand unless the app is for live streaming like youtube TV. You should be able to get a free week of paramount+. Another good one to download is PlutoTV which is totally free and has all kids of stuff in there.

Another generic video since you said you had a Samsung TV.

You download apps to your TV and then when you want to watch you open the app and choose what you want to watch. All the shows are within the app, kinda like watching a network TV channel but everything is on demand unless the app is for live streaming like youtube TV. You should be able to get a free week of paramount+. Another good one to download is PlutoTV which is totally free and has all kids of stuff in there.

Thank you!

- Roy

I have used Roku, fire cube (and fire stick), Samsung smart tv, apple, etc.

For completeness, keeping up to date, etc - I think it’s really down to either Roku or Amazon Fire. There are too many times on a Samsung tv, for example - where it gets buggy (paramount plus on Samsung), lack of updating, lower quality streaming vs Roku or new fire cube, etc.

The main advantage of Roku vs Amazon - you can login a new tv/stick and everything ports to that tv. IME - it includes the username/passwords of Apps, the priority/placement of each App on Home Screen, etc.

It is a pain - when you add TVs, have to hard reset, get new updated hardware THEN have to re login, reset favorite app placement, etc. Roku is great in that respect.

Amazon has quicker links /previews to shows on each app from the TV/stick/cube Home Screen. You don’t have to open each app like you have to on a Roku. IME, there is also some faster episode to episode changes, switching between streaming apps (especially with newly released new fire cube) vs Roku. it’s really nice to see streaming show options and have some ideas across streaming apps from home. Amazon wins big there.

Some TV's have a data transfer speed cap built into their ethernet ports. Ironically, this means that the TV is capable of getting faster speeds via wifi than via ethernet...

I think it's part of the ethernet port specifications. Typical ones are 10/100, meaning you can only get 100 Mbps transfer speed.

The workaround is to use a USB to Ethernet adapter, meaning you plug your internet ethernet cable into the USB adapter then plug the USB adapter into a USB port on your TV. Supposedly this will get you 300 Mbps speeds.
Some people prefer a movie library and use the TV's browser to download movie files directly to it. The LG C2/G2 USB 2.0 port is faster than the 10/100 ethernet port. Other brands have a USB 3.x port making the transfer faster depending on your ISP plan.

Last edited:

Incorrect. That speed should work to receive regular HD 1080p resolution streams. But for 4K you will need 15-20 Mbps and for 4K Dolbyvision about 25 Mbps.

Realize too, that if you are on cable TV and have neighbors using the same, you can get an effect whereby if there is heavy TV usage by you and your neighbors, the advertised speed will be reduced because of the additional load on the network.

If you have an advertised internet speed of 100Mbps and you have several neighbors with 4K TV's and all of you are simultaneously watching Dolbyvision content, you might get the dreaded "buffering" error.

Something else to keep in mind. Don't sign up for a whole bunch of paid subscriptions right away, that can get costly. Many people rotate subscriptions so Netflix for a month or two then cancel and move on to HBO or another paid subscription service and do the same.

Check out the free channels as well.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-free-streaming-services

Also, you may have access to a bunch of free over the air channels with Samsung Plus

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-tv-plus-1657262/

The free options do have ads so that may not work for you.

Also on Black Friday the best streaming deals pop up which someone usually shares on here. I get the Hulu basic with ads for 99c to $1.99 a month for a year to new customers. They have many of the network shows on demand the day after they've aired. Last year they also offered a Hulu and Disney plus bundle with no ads for around $5 a month for a year.

We have a Samsung QN65Q70R smart TV we bought about a year ago. It connects to our Wifii just fine. We also have an Apple 4K TV box which we actually have never used.
Do you think it will offer more content than the Samsung? Better performance?

We had a Panasonic plasma flat screen that we used with a internet connected dvd player. When Roku came along we used that with the Panasonic. A few years ago we got a 70" Vizio that was wireless capable but we kept the Roku as the primary user interface. The Vizio software has most of the apps we use, but the Roku was already set up so...

I added a new Samsung a year ago to my office and use the Samsung internet interface with it although it leaves a lot to be desired. It's pretty clunky and tends to drop signon info.

I have nothing but old TVs, from 2010-12. They are dumb.

I use Roku devices to stream. The Roku plugs into the HDMI. I then set it up to see the Wifi network. Done! I am streaming.

I use Roku sticks on all my older TVs. My two newest ones are Roku TVs.

Like other above I have two "Smart" TVs and one older one. Smart's hook directly into WiFi OR Cat 6 cable and the older set is hooked up to AppleTv box. Apple box DOES a great job of managing the streaming relative to having the ability to find what streaming service is playing a specific show you are looking for

I would suggest to the OP that even though the Samsung TV has smart apps they are not as easy to access and use as a Roku. Therefore, a purchase of a Roku Streaming Stick 4K would be a good idea.

The other thing is depending on how old the Samsung TV is, it might have problems with certain apps, or might not have them in its apps library. For example, I have a friend with a 2019 Samsung mid-level TV and he can't get Paramount Plus network on it. Also the Samsung user interface is like a jungle compared to the simplicity of the Roku interface.

I have two TVs, one is a new smart TV and all our viewing is internet based through apps and streaming along with an antenna for local. Super easy to use.
The second TV is from 2012. I can connect to the Wi-Fi, but can’t add apps not already loaded, the streaming is pokey and low quality.
I can buy a streaming device or for $100 more, I can buy a whole new smart tv.

Last edited:
I have successfully connected my Samsung TV to my Wi-Fi, partly thanks to the advice from this forum.

I hit a snag, however, when trying to connect my Samsung with the Paramount+ network. I watched a video on YouTube, regarding how to do this, but when I attempted this, using the TV remote, Samsung presented me with about 2 dozen services except Paramount+. I went to the Paramount+ website, on my PC, but it seems I can download that service only to my PC, not to my TV set.

Finally, I went to this Samsung website, but the "Compatible Devices" and "Support" links don't work!

https://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app.do?appId=G17292010383#

Does anyone here have a suggestion as to what to do next?

Thanks as always,

Roy in New Mexico

Last edited:
I have successfully connected my Samsung TV to my Wi-Fi, partly thanks to the advice from this forum.

I hit a snag, however, when trying to connect my Samsung with the Paramount+ network. I watched a video on YouTube, regarding how to do this, but when I attempted this using the TV remote, Samsung presented me with about 2 dozen services except Paramount+. I went to the Paramount+ website, on my PC, but it seems I can download the service only to my PC, not to my TV set. Since I couldn't find a customer service phone number for Samsung, I'm now in limbo.

Thanks as always,

Roy in New Mexico
Some TVs have an easy way to add apps. Our 2022 TV is super simple. Our 2012 TV, we can’t add new apps.

Samsung App Store, where you see all the streaming services may let you add new streaming services. Look for a way to update the App store

I hit a snag, however, when trying to connect my Samsung with the Paramount+ network. I watched a video on YouTube, regarding how to do this, but when I attempted this, using the TV remote, Samsung presented me with about 2 dozen services except Paramount+. I went to the Paramount+ website, on my PC, but it seems I can download that service only to my PC, not to my TV set.

Finally, I went to this Samsung website, but the "Compatible Devices" and "Support" links don't work!

https://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app.do?appId=G17292010383#

Thanks as always,

Roy in New Mexico

Yes, as I described a few posts upstream:

Qs Laptop said:
For example, I have a friend with a 2019 Samsung mid-level TV and he can't get Paramount Plus network on it. Also the Samsung user interface is like a jungle compared to the simplicity of the Roku interface.

I would suggest to the OP that even though the Samsung TV has smart apps they are not as easy to access and use as a Roku. Therefore, a purchase of a Roku Streaming Stick 4K would be a good idea.

I can buy a streaming device or, for $100 more, I can buy a whole new smart tv.

I would like to see this $150 smart TV that is available to purchase and can do all the things a $50 streaming stick can do.

Back
Top Bottom