Should I Return the iPad?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got an iPad Air today. I have a tendency to reject tech things that don't work the way I'm used to, perhaps, but the limitations of iOS seem seem so striking, that I plan to return the tablet to CostCo.

But I thought I'd check that my conclusions are reasonable, first.

Main problem: Here's my home screen on my Android tablet:

gAft0Zw.png

I have room for 36 icons, and I have widgets that let me see my emails and have quick access to a Google Keep document.

Here's the home screen on the iPad:

uaLxjzA.png

Twenty some icons and no widgets.

Here's Instagram on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2:

eRMn031.png

And on the iPad:

qshJnOs.png

I can customize the keyboard on the Android device to have a dedicated number row and quick access to symbols:

xvOZGW2.png

Not so on the iPad.

So, should I give the iPad more time or take it back?

Also, it seems there's no easy way to wirelessly charge the iPad (once you use wireless charging, you'll never want to go back).

You do realize that you can swipe left and right and have an almost infinite number of icons on the screen, right? You can also place any url or webpage directly on the screen for one click access.

Another thing you can do with an iPad is group icons. If you press on an icon and hold, the icons start wiggling with an”x” in the forming. Drag one icon on top of another and it will create a group which you can name. You can have all your games in one box, utilities in another, etc.

Your screen is high resolution, but I can’t imagine why the Instagram app isn’t full screen.

But why did you switch brands? Seems like you liked what you had. You might be happier returning it.

I don't really know that much about Android tablets. What I think you should do though is find out what the iPad does that you can't do with the Android tablet and what apps you are interested in that aren't available on Android. I still routinely come across apps that are iOS only. But once you know what the iPad brings that the Android doesn't then it is hard to compare them.

Oh about wireless charging -- I have found it not exciting. No you don't have to plug the device in but you have to plug in the charging pad/device. Also if something is laying on a charging pad I can't use it. Right now I can use my phone will it charges. I have a wireless charger but rarely use it.

I have a 10.5” iPad Pro and I love it. To get the numbers, you just pull the key down. Put your finger on the t and pull down until the 5 appears. It’s easy to get used to, IMO. I love the clarity of the screen.

Instagram is small on mine too, and I don’t know the answer to that.

I find it very intuitive to use, in general. And if you have an iPhone, most data will be available on both. My iPad predates wireless charging - I just keep a charger near where I sit and plug in a long cord when necessary. It holds a charge well. I use it constantly.

I do not use Instagram so this is just a guess: it looks like you have installed the iPhone version of the app. Search the App Store again to see if there is a iPad version offered.

Some apps work equally well on the iPhone and the iPad, some apps have a version optimized for each. Unfortunately there are some apps that only offer one version that has been optimized for iPhone they look just like your photo of Instagram on your iPad.

Apple = Pay 4 times as much for something that works with about 1/2 of available apps./software etc. The other half requires some sort of "workaround".

Ridiculous.

I have a brand new Ipad sent to me by my employer 3 years ago. It has never been opened and is still in it's shipping box in the closet. I don't care if it's free. I don't want it.

Yes, it's superior technology in many ways...But, so was Betamax video recording. Unfortunately, VHS won out and became the standard. Much like PC's vs. Apple.

My vote: Return it with great haste and a demonstrated prejudice.

:)

Last edited:
Not an Apple fan here, either. They do tend to "dumb down" their stuff somewhat, although admittedly Android is also dumbed-down, if not quite as much.

I was on the team which implemented an iPad solution with thousands of users in several states. Trust me, I've used them. The ones I had for the project stayed at work. I never brought one home, even though I could have had the use of as many as I wanted, for free.

I'm not trying to feed an OS war here, or disparage anyone who likes Apple products. Or even anyone who just likes the prestige of everyone knowing they paid more.

My point is, it doesn't sound like iOS is for you, and that's OK.

Just so you know, Apple has announced a major upgrade to iOS on iPad called iPadOS. It was announced in June and will be available in about six weeks or so (September). It has some of the features you are looking for. Here's some info on it:

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

It includes widgets on the main screen and looks like this:

ipadOS-home-screen-800x626.jpg

" I'm not trying to feed an OS war here, or disparage anyone who likes Apple products. Or even anyone who just likes the prestige of everyone knowing they paid more. "

Agreed.

However...I'm not sure "prestige" is the right word here. Maybe the individual in question perceives that others are thinking that way. I would hazard a guess that most people, especially ER people, are thinking something completely different.

Of course, that's what the American Consumer is all about...Caring more about what they believe others are thinking of them than actual cost or product value, and making sure to consume conspicuously.

One very big reason that the average American's Median Net Worth is only around 97k ....

Last edited:
I am one of those anti Apple folks, I really despise being forced into "Apple Jail". DW Loves hers but is not as computer literate as me, I simply cannot use her iPad, it frustrates me. It is almost as if even google returns are based on Apple approved items. We can do exactly the same search on Apple as I do on my Windows Machine (Surface 4 Pro) and some returns that I get do not appear for her iPad. Also Apple Apps seem to display things as Apple wants you to see them as opposed to what one wishes to see them. Again she loves it, I cannot tolerate the thing. What makes it worse is that I purchased for her in the first place along with one for me, I returned mine the following day, she kept hers. :facepalm:

My deciding factor with Apple vs Android is privacy. You pay Apple for the full value of the product and profit. With android, you pay less but your data is monetized.

I have also noticed that Apple products have much better testing/design. If you plan on keeping it for a number of years, Apple products have always worked out cheaper for me than windows/android. I have 2 Mac computers that run daily that are currently 8 years old - no lag/slowness. My last windows portable lasted about 3 years before a hinge broke and it started to overheat.

I don’t use a lot of apps - not into social media for similar data privacy reasons - but for instagram it appears it is an app developer issue. If they don’t have an iPad app the quick online search suggests to just use safari and their web page version (as previously mentioned you can make a web page shortcut as an icon).

I agree with most posters - my experience with older adults is they will complain about anything new for the sake of it being new (regardless how it works). If you are happy with android, there are plenty of cheap/new tablets you can get. Be aware that android OS can vary slightly between companies.

I have used a Nexus 10 tablet for more than five years. I also have supported others who use Apple tablets. There are advantages to both. What you were using is of course going to affect your views about the next ablet you try.

For me, Apple is too restrictive. That's just me, and the opinion is based upon using Apple os versions on desktop, phone, tablet. Some are better off with a restrictive environment.

Having a swype keyboard on Android is a real plus.

I am pretty sure Instagram is not optimized for iPad. If I access it through Twitter, I will see the full screen, but through the app itself it comes in only in the vertical position and downsized. It essentially is a phone app not a tablet app for Apple.

why did you switch brands?

I recently switched to Mac from Windows, and I liked it much better than the Windows system. So, I thought the iPad might be similarly better than Android. Most of the disadvantages I read about didn't bother me. I like enforced consistency among apps, for example.

Another reason is that the writing app I use (Scrivener) has an iOS version but no Android version.

Another dealbreaker for me: No "Back" and "Overview" buttons. Yes, you can get those same functions in other ways, but the buttons are much more convenient. For example, tapping the Overview button (see open apps) is simpler/easier than swiping all the way up the screen.

Last edited:
You do realize that you can swipe left and right and have an almost infinite number of icons on the screen, right?

Yes, but having more info (especially the mailbox) available at a glance is important to me.

>You can also place any url or webpage directly on the screen for one click access.

Apparently, you can do that with Safari but not with Chrome.

LastPass is integrated a lot better on the iPad, since it's tied to the keyboard.

Last edited:
Another dealbreaker for me: No "Back" and "Overview" buttons. Yes, you can get those same functions in other ways, but the buttons are much more convenient. For example, tapping the Overview button is simpler/easier than swiping all the way up the screen.

Tap at the very top of the screen and you will return to the top of the page. Back is the < symbol.

The Instagram issue is simple: You've installed the iphone version of the app instead of the ipad version.

There isn’t an iPad version.

When Will Instagram For iPad Release?

You’ve likely landed on this page because you realized that there was no official Instagram app that was truly built for the resolution and screen size of the iPad. This leaves a lot of people in a perplexing situation where they are required to compromise and find alternative solutions.

Last edited:
Oh about wireless charging -- I have found it not exciting. No you don't have to plug the device in but you have to plug in the charging pad/device. Also if something is laying on a charging pad I can't use it. Right now I can use my phone will it charges. I have a wireless charger but rarely use it.

Ah, I think you've missed the beauty of wireless charging.

I plugged in my charging stand once years ago, and have never needed to unplug or plug it back in.

Perhaps this video will demonstrate [makes note to self: Always comb hair before doing video):

Note that you could have the tablet stay on while charging. I chose to have it run a clock app, because otherwise it's too bright.

I'm puzzled as to why tablet manufacturers haven't looked at how easily cordless phones recharge (just drop it in the stand). It doesn't have to be wireless.

Last edited:
I think you just have to give the iPad some time and effort. There are always going to be a few things that Android has that iPad does not and vice-versa. I used to have an Android tablet but found the iPad to be a very solid replacement.

I like that the iPad seems to not need charging too often. The iPad cable design is robust too. Continuously charging a tablet ... I'm not sure that is a good idea for the battery life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom