Should I Return the iPad?

Scrolling to the top of a Safari page or other list can be done (at least on my iPhone) by DOUBLE tapping the top of the screen (where the clock, wifi, battery, etc icons are located).

Yes, that last part is kind of pejorative. Now, I don't care about the prestige aspect of paying more...

... It just seemed to be a hodge podge. I maybe could have worked through that but app after app that I wanted to use was iOS only. Things are a bit better now but still many apps are just not available in iOS.

Yes, it was pejorative. Note there was an "or" there. My contention was that people own iOS devices because they like them better, OR because iOS devices are more expensive and they think that paying more somehow makes them a better person. Of course, no-one on this forum is in that latter group! The town I live in has lots of them, however, so maybe I'm over-sensitive to that dynamic.

Anyway, I'm finding fewer and fewer iOS-only apps. And the one or two left that I was once interested in now have multiple Android alternatives which are better than the original anyway. This is a significant change from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Scrolling to the top of a Safari page or other list can be done (at least on my iPhone) by DOUBLE tapping the top of the screen (where the clock, wifi, battery, etc icons are located).

One touch is all it takes.

Yes, it was pejorative. Note there was an "or" there. My contention was that people own iOS devices because they like them better, OR because iOS devices are more expensive and they think that paying more somehow makes them a better person. Of course, no-one on this forum is in that latter group! The town I live in has lots of them, however, so maybe I'm over-sensitive to that dynamic.

Anyway, I'm finding fewer and fewer iOS-only apps. And the one or two left that I was once interested in now have multiple Android alternatives which are better than the original anyway. This is a significant change from a few years ago.

Most of us only have limited experiences with phones. My last Android was a Nexus 6P which developed a really bad habit of shutting down. I bought an iPhone XR for $750 which does not seem exorbitant given the price of the Pixel competition. I used to feel the iPhones were too expensive but they are very solid devices and are worth it to me.

One touch just enlarges the URL area on my phone, not sure what that helps with. It takes a second tap to scroll to the top. YMMV.

You touch next to the URL box and the page jumps right back to the top.

Here's the Instagram page that comes up when I tap the magnifying glass:

mHHhaoF.png

I use that the most, since it suggests videos I'd be interested in, but can't seem to find the analogous function on the website.

I found it: the compass icon.

You touch next to the URL box and the page jumps right back to the top.

You are correct if the URL box is present. When I scroll down the URL box disappears and is replaced by a small text of the URL (with no box). If I tap once I get the URL box back. The second tap scrolls the page to the top. YMMV.

You are correct if the URL box is present. When I scroll down the URL box disappears and is replaced by a small text of the URL (with no box). If I tap once I get the URL box back. The second tap scrolls the page to the top. YMMV.

You must have a preference checked or something. I have one tap and boom back to the top.

My deciding factor with Apple vs Android is privacy. You pay Apple for the full value of the product and profit. With android, you pay less but your data is monetized.
This! And one needs to look no further than the San B terrorist shooter guy to see how seriously Apple takes privacy.

I have a Macbook, iPhone, and an iPad. I find the iPad completely useless and rarely use it. I had an android tablet before it when I went back for a graduate degree and it was infinitely more functional and useful IMO.

This! And one needs to look no further than the San B terrorist shooter guy to see how seriously Apple takes privacy.

I have a Macbook, iPhone, and an iPad. I find the iPad completely useless and rarely use it. I had an android tablet before it when I went back for a graduate degree and it was infinitely more functional and useful IMO.

One thing about the basic iPads is they keep getting cheaper. My previous one was less than 3 years old and fully functional, but when Best Buy had them this past weekend for under $250 I bought a new one. I find the simplicity of iPads to match perfectly the lower mental techno fire power I bring to the table. This and a Chromebook for my financial matters are all I have. Remembering the day I threw away my desktop and laptop still bring back pleasant memories.

One thing about the basic iPads is they keep getting cheaper. My previous one was less than 3 years old and fully functional, but when Best Buy had them this past weekend for under $250 I bought a new one. I find the simplicity of iPads to match perfectly the lower mental techno fire power I bring to the table. This and a Chromebook for my financial matters are all I have. Remembering the day I threw away my desktop and laptop still bring back pleasant memories.

You just convinced me for the second time. First was a preferred ETF, now a basic iPad. Off to Best Buy at next opportunity to get an iPFF.

You just convinced me for the second time. First was a preferred ETF, now a basic iPad. Off to Best Buy at next opportunity to get an iPFF.

Unfortunately it was a fake Black Friday sale last week. I just checked they are back to $329 now at Best Buy...Steely rip the training wheels off and buy your own preferreds, you dont need PFF and their lazy fund managers managing your money!

Still playing with it. Biggest gripe is the lack of a back button. If you’re holding at the bottom two corners, pushing a button at the top is very inconvenient. I know, first world problem, but it makes a difference. Gripe #2 is not having email displayed on home screen. Maybe I can live without wireless charging if I get a stand with a plug.

Unfortunately it was a fake Black Friday sale last week. I just checked they are back to $329 now at Best Buy...

Oh well, that’s still pretty cheap. Where I expect to go has a BestBuy and Walmart right next to each other. Easy comparison shopping and just as easy to walk away. But the price point is there to try a pad!

Steely rip the training wheels off and buy your own preferreds, you dont need PFF and their lazy fund managers managing your money!

I bet you say that to ALL the girls. :)

Okay, swipe from left acts as back button. Sometimes.

Why Hey Siri doesn't work as well as Okay Google":

9ElvBP0.png

I guess you have to be persistent:

IBroHBK.png

Last edited:
I see that the macrumors buyers guide is forecasting an upgrade to the basic iPad (would be 7th generation) later this year. That’s not definite but enough to delay my trip to Best Buy.

In the meantime, my venerable Chromebook still functions after end-of-support.

and if you use the Chrome browser on your iPad, all the bookmarks are automatically remembered across the devices. I use this for my Win7 laptop and iPad app. iCloud for Windows also keeps Notes synchronized.

Today I got a Galaxy Tab S5e at Costco. I'll take it or the iPad back.

So far, the Tab is far ahead. It's not just because I'm used to Android.

The Back button is just genius. I can do everything without repositioning my hands. Having my GMail inbox on the homescreen is wonderful.

Today I got a Galaxy Tab S5e at Costco. I'll take it or the iPad back.

So far, the Tab is far ahead. It's not just because I'm used to Android.

The Back button is just genius. I can do everything without repositioning my hands. Having my GMail inbox on the homescreen is wonderful.

You’ve brought mail on the home screen previously- it’s possible with an iPad.

Are you sure? I tried a few things. I could get something on the Today page, but even that wouldn't display my inbox.
You’ve brought mail on the home screen previously- it’s possible with an iPad.

Back
Top Bottom