Should I Return the iPad?

Instagram on my iPad is full-page and full-resolution top to bottom with black bars on either side a bit under 1” wide.

But definitely return it. You’re really not happy with it and you know what you like.

My career was in IT on many different platforms and os. I hate UI changes, no matter what platform. All the stuff I knew and used just changed. Drove me batty, even if it's better.

Of course I've had the unsettling experience of going back to an old favorite and finding I had forgotten how difficult it was to use. I recently saw a windows 95 system and had no clue.

I find it useful, for me, to find one thing on the new system I like better and start experimenting. If that doesn't work try The Serenity Prayer.

Instagram on my iPad is full-page and full-resolution top to bottom with black bars on either side a bit under 1” wide.

But definitely return it. You’re really not happy with it and you know what you like.

That’s the iPhone app in expanded mode. It’s not really built for iPad.

Yeah, I went to the App Store on my iPad and downloaded instagram with the filter set to “iPad only.” Of course, it installed the iPhone version regardless. I don’t use that app so it doesn’t affect me.

When it comes to which is better, iOS or Android, I stick to less controversial topics like politics or religion.

I found that if you visit the Instagram page in Safari, you get full screen. The page full of suggested photos is missing.

I’m writing this in the iOS ER app.

Trying to keep open mind.

The google keyboard had problems. Is there a way in the standard keyboard to scroll through text? On GBoard, you can slide on the space bar as on a touchpad. This is a test of the text dictation, it seems to work very well on the android and I see that it works pretty well here, too.
In Alina. I said no no new new new line.
It work that time.

Yes, I realize that all different things take a little time to get used to. I just have to find solutions to the deal breakers.

I am a person of habit, and I almost always use my iPad while sitting in my favorite chair (which is now my new recliner). I keep it plugged in with a wire, and on a stand that is on a little table there. Sort of like what T-Al has set up, except with a wire attached. The wire doesn't get in the way.

About once or twice a year, if that, I want to use it somewhere else (for example, to entertain me while waiting for an hour or two at the front door for the UPS man to deliver something expensive). So I just unplug it and take it there, and the battery has always been more than sufficient for that.

I am so impressed that all of you use instagram. I guess I'm the only old fuddy-duddy here who has never tried it. I should explore it I suppose. I do tweet, though! Did that once. :LOL:

I think you just have to give the iPad some time and effort. There are always going to be a few things that Android has that iPad does not and vice-versa. I used to have an Android tablet but found the iPad to be a very solid replacement.

I like that the iPad seems to not need charging too often. The iPad cable design is robust too. Continuously charging a tablet ... I'm not sure that is a good idea for the battery life.

You are correct. Re charging, however, I found if I use it only in that one location, and with the wireless charging, the battery doesn’t have to last very long. Also, with the blow the door mindset, I found that technology becomes obsolete before the battery life becomes problematic.

I’ve been using dictation above. “Blow the dough” not “blow the door.”

Last edited:
I am so impressed that all of you use instagram. I guess I'm the only old fuddy-duddy here who has never tried it.

I don't use it, not because I'm a fuddy-duddy (arguable), but because it's owned by Facebook. I long ago decided never to use Facebook owned software.

Similar to why I don't use google for search. DuckDuckGo.com is quite good these days.

Reactions: W2R
I found that technology becomes obsolete before the battery life becomes problematic.

I generally agree with this, but I bought my iPad Air 2 when it came out in 2014 - about 4 ½ years ago. I'm definitely noticing the battery fading on it. When I first got it it was wonderful. Lasted a day or two easy. Now I recharge at noon as well as over night. But then I use it a lot. Still, a pretty decent life for a new tech device really.

I'm planning on buying the next iPad Pro 11". The current one has been out for not quite a year, but I'm OK waiting for the next version with the next generation processor and other stuff. I'm very much looking forward to FaceID on it. It might even have Qi charging :LOL:

That’s the iPhone app in expanded mode. It’s not really built for iPad.

I get that but it is at least larger than tAl's as he showed it in the OP, and the resolution looks good to me. But if tAl prefers the full IG screen as shown on his former tablet and dislikes the other iPad issues he calls out, he should return the iPad.

I get that but it is at least larger than tAl's as he showed it in the OP, and the resolution looks good to me. But if tAl prefers the full IG screen as shown on his former tablet and dislikes the other iPad issues he calls out, he should return the iPad.

I agree Insty is still usable, you just have to expand it and turn the device vertical. Not sure why there isn’t an iPad Instagram.

As for the OP, change is hard. My wife went from Apple to Android. It took her months to feel comfortable with it. Same dog, different fleas.

I recently switched to Mac from Windows, and I liked it much better than the Windows system. So, I thought the iPad might be similarly better than Android. Most of the disadvantages I read about didn't bother me. I like enforced consistency among apps, for example.

Another reason is that the writing app I use (Scrivener) has an iOS version but no Android version.

There are a lot of differences between iOS and Mac OS.

Since you like your Mac, it’s probably worth getting used to your iPad and iOS because they integrate beautifully.

The google keyboard had problems. Is there a way in the standard keyboard to scroll through text? On GBoard, you can slide on the space bar as on a touchpad.

If you touch and hold the spacebar on the iOS keyboard you'll get a cursor and the keyboard area becomes a touch pad until you lift your finger.

Before you give up on the iPad be sure to explore the integration with your Mac. For example, if you start a document with Pages on the iPad you can pick up exactly where you left off on the Mac. Safari, Mail, and Numbers work similarly. You can also cut text on one device and seamlessly paste it on the other.

I think we had a thread last year or so on how best to access ER.org on an iPad. Personally, I prefer simply using Safari; others like the app better.

If you touch and hold the spacebar on the iOS keyboard you'll get a cursor and the keyboard area becomes a touch pad until you lift your finger.

Ah, beautiful! That’s superior to the way that the Google keyboard worked on Android.

This is one reason I posted here.

One dealbreaker down about four or five to go.

I learned how to use the overview option better, that is swipe up from the bottom and stop moving my finger. That’s still not as good as having a dedicated button, but it’s not bad.

I’m still missing having a dedicated Back button an inch from my thumb.

I’d better watch out or soon I’ll be disappointed with both OSs.

Before you give up on the iPad be sure to explore the integration with your Mac. For example, if you start a document with Pages on the iPad you can pick up exactly where you left off on the Mac. Safari, Mail, and Numbers work similarly. You can also cut text on one device and seamlessly paste it on the other.

I think we had a thread last year or so on how best to access ER.org on an iPad. Personally, I prefer simply using Safari; others like the app better.

I'm confused on what problem is being solved.

If one wants to change some text isn't it easier to hold your finger down on the text until the magnifier appears and then just move the cursor over to the point you want to edit? Then used the backspace key to remove text if desired and start typing in an edit.

Or am I not understanding the issue?

If one wants to change some text isn't it easier to hold your finger down on the text until the magnifier appears and then just move the cursor over to the point you want to edit? Then used the backspace key to remove text if desired and start typing in an edit.

I find it much easier and faster to scroll around.

I just use Safari to access this forum on my iPad. I don’t like to use a separate app unless it provides some unique functions.

I just use Safari to access this forum on my iPad. I don’t like to use a separate app unless it provides some unique functions.

Me too.

And (always talking about futures....) iPadOS will make iPad Safari even more desktop like. It'll even run Google web apps.

I think you described the issue quite well. The “old” way (pre iOS 12) is a PITA IMO, especially when the text is small. To each his own, of course.

[edit to add] Zoom? Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:
Yes, but having more info (especially the mailbox) available at a glance is important to me.

>You can also place any url or webpage directly on the screen for one click access.

Apparently, you can do that with Safari but not with Chrome.

LastPass is integrated a lot better on the iPad, since it's tied to the keyboard.

You can “pin” up to 10 icons on the bottom of your screen. I always have the mail icon shown.

[edit to add] Zoom? Maybe I missed something.

If I put my fat finger somewhere, after a short delay, a magnifying glass appears, and the area of the cursor is magnified.

You're not alone...my computers are Macs but phone/tablet are Android.

Have a couple of iPads...but now use them only for playing games.

Not sure why there isn’t an iPad Instagram.

The idea of Instragram is that you take a pic and then post it and say something about it. Most people take pics on their phone, not their iPad. I can take pics on the iPad but rarely do that. Instagram gets used more on the phone than the iPad.

One dealbreaker down about four or five to go.

As mentioned, take a look at the new OS that is coming out to see if any of the upcoming features will address your dealbreakers.

For a forum that answers questions related to Apple stuff I like macrumors. You should post your query in the iPad forum. People are very helpful there in my experience.

Not an Apple fan here, either. They do tend to "dumb down" their stuff somewhat, although admittedly Android is also dumbed-down, if not quite as much.......

I'm not trying to feed an OS war here, or disparage anyone who likes Apple products. Or even anyone who just likes the prestige of everyone knowing they paid more.

Yes, that last part is kind of pejorative. Now, I don't care about the prestige aspect of paying more... But I do have an iPhone and an iPad. It is definitely a love/hate relationship. I tend to like being able to customize things and not dumb down, hence, for computers I tend to buy very custom gaming computers. Soon after I had my first iPhone and I decided to get a Galaxy Android phone. I kept it for less than a year when I cracked and went back to an iPhone. There were some things I loved about it. The negatives? Apps often didn't work well together and there was no cohesive way that it fit together. It just seemed to be a hodge podge. I maybe could have worked through that but app after app that I wanted to use was iOS only. Things are a bit better now but still many apps are just not available in iOS. For computers I am firmly in the Windows camp -- the compromises for a Mac are just too many. But for phone and table, for now, I prefer Apple (highest cost is a negative, not a positive....)

Back
Top Bottom