Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

I haven't completely given up sports. I just watch what is on OTA. Although, that is evaporating year by year.

I would sign up for Hulu+Live or YTTV to watch NHL, but since they are fighting with Sinclair, that's a no go.

I'll likely sign up for YTTV come Olympics time. If they happen.

The days of me just keeping a subscription 100% of the time to put on a game for background noise are gone.
I agree, I’d be completely satisfied with sporadic subscriptions and the savings. But DW insists on 100% of time, and I’ve learned to pick my battles after 41 years...:blush:

I don't have Tivo so I'm not arguing, I'm curious what makes Tivo superior to any streamer out there as we're happy with Hulu+Live?

Trickplay is so much better, you'd have to use one to understand. Plus it has commercial autoskip for all the popular networks, you can playback at ~1.5x normal speed to get through long events quicker, you have live buffers for up to six channels etc.

A streamer is a VW compared to a Porsche. Yeah it gets you around and it's certainly cheaper on the hardware (and possibly service) end, but there are tradeoffs.

Last edited:
I finally cut the cord last month. I was paying $233 a month for Xfinity triple play, of which MC (yes, still toiling in the salt mines) was reimbursing me for $80.

Spent roughly $280 to purchase a gig modem (replacing the xfinity modem), a gig wireless router, a wireless extender and a Roku Ultra. (Buying scratch and dent from Amazon is the way to go...saved over $100).

Xfinity internet (600 mbs) is now $90, again paid for by MC. Right now I am paying for Discovery +, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Shudder (just until the season of discovery of witches has finished), or essentially $20 a month in content (excluding amazon, since I pay for that anyway). I will recover the cost of the equipment in less than 3 months. I have no interest in getting the network channels, although I do have the apps to watch local news for free. If I am interested in a network show, I can either wait for it to make its way to some other service, or pay for a month and watch all episodes (will do that when Picard Season 2 drops).

I should have done this several years ago. I love being in control of the content I want to pay for, and not having to pay for content I do not want to support.

We currently have the Xfinity Signature Triple Play package. This months bill was $243.33 after all was said and done. This includes a landline, Internet and 210+ channels, of which we watch about 10.
We are a multigenerational household, so I need to be sensitive to other people’s needs. I’m considering going with a Roku (not sure which one yet) and a subscription to Fubo(they are the only one to have the channels we need, Hallmark, Food Network, etc) and probably Disney+ and Discovery+.

I just need to get my ducks in a row as to what equipment I will need to purchase to make a successful transition.

When u had the Comcast modem, did u have a separate router ? I could be wrong, but I think I only have a router, unless the modem is built in, because we do have WiFi.
Is the wireless extender to increase the distance for the WiFi ?
What Internet package did you go with ? I have the Extreme Pro service now, but could probably get away with dropping to a less expensive plan.

Do u still have a landline ?

Yoheadden,

Can you get OTA in your area? If you have good OTA (good signal for all the major channels) then an antenna with an OTA DVR is a good solution. Higher up-front cost (~$300) but low monthly costs (my Fire TV Recast monthly cost is $0 but some other OTA DVRs cost ~$10/month for program guide). You can also supplement the OTA with a skinny programming package like Philo that is $20/mo.

My Fire TV Recast OTA DVR can be accessed for live TV and DVR from any tv in the house since we have a Fire TV Stick on each TV and they are all on the same wi-fi network and is a pretty slick, one-remote set up.

Last edited:
When u had the Comcast modem, did u have a separate router ? I could be wrong, but I think I only have a router, unless the modem is built in, because we do have WiFi.
Is the wireless extender to increase the distance for the WiFi ?
What Internet package did you go with ? I have the Extreme Pro service now, but could probably get away with dropping to a less expensive plan.

Do u still have a landline ?

I had the standard Xfinity wifi modem router combo ($15 a month rental). After looking at what was available I decided to go separate modem and router/wifi, both at 1 gig+ (although current speed is only 600, wanted to future proof a bit). I picked up the Wifi extender just to be sure that the wifi signal to the ROKU box was strong. Again, I encourage anyone to look for the Amazon refurb stuff...you can save a bundle (add tax to new price below):

Netgear CM1000 paid $117, price $170 new
ASUS AC1750 WiFi Router paid $57, price new $96
ASUS AC1200 extender paid $44 new $57
(all from amazon warehouse, with free return and warranty)

I also have extreme pro (600 mbs), and could go a little lower, but with MC paying for it why not. If you have more than 4 moderate/higher users, keep the Extreme Pro.

I have a landline through Ooma.

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty inexpensive setup. We have bounced around from Dish, to Comcast, Direct TV, back to Comcast. I am in CT, an hour outside of NY. I believe we could get OTA in our area, but how do you find out for sure ?
Does your setup allow you to add a streaming service as well (Netflix, Disney) or would you have to add another component ?

Sounds like a pretty inexpensive setup. We have bounced around from Dish, to Comcast, Direct TV, back to Comcast. I am in CT, an hour outside of NY. I believe we could get OTA in our area, but how do you find out for sure ?
Does your setup allow you to add a streaming service as well (Netflix, Disney) or would you have to add another component ?

I have the Roku Ultra box (Got it for $73 as Ebay had a $20 rebate if you humor them and add Ebay credit). With Roku, you can add any streaming service you like. You can add Youtube TV and get most network channels if you want. You can sign up for Disney +, binge watch the Mandalorian for a month, and cancel until they have something else you want to watch. Really, the streaming options are infinite, allowing you to pay for just a few select services or replicate most of what you were getting from Xfinity.

(You can get a free streaming box from Xfinity, which I have sitting on my desk still in wrap. From everything I read, I decided I would get more satisfaction from the Roku box. You could try out the Xfinity streaming box first, and if not satisfied go to a Roku or similar. I picked it up when I returned my xfinity router and TV box)

Last edited:
Yoheadden;25528 16 said:
....I believe we could get OTA in our area, but how do you find out for sure ?

You can check into OTA via https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps or https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90 or via the RCA Signal Finder app on your smartphone. If you are within an hour of NYC then I think it is likely that you'll get good OTA signal.

We can and do stream with our setup, but the Fire TV Recast DVR will only record OTA content.

Our setup is a $40 RCA antenna, the Fire TV Recast DVR, and a Fire TV Stick for each TV (which we already had). I got the Fire TV Recast used but a new one is $230 for the 2-tuner model or $280 for the 4-tuner model. If you don't already have Fire TV Sticks they are $30 each or $40 each for the 4k version.... definitely get the versions that the Fire TV Stick remote controls turning the tv on/off and volume controls.

When you add the Fire TV Recast to your setup, it add a "DVR" item along the top row of the Fire TV home screen and that item can be used to view DVR recordings. If you want to watch live TV you can chose either the Live or DVR items from the top row of the Home screen. The home screeen can also show other streaming services that you subscribe to like Netflix, Disney, et al. We have Prime Video, BritBox and PBS Passport and in the past have had Acorn and CBS All-Access.

Also see https://youtu.be/hAerwizq950

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the responses and all of the information. Clearly, I have some much overdo homework to do.
I think we get complacent in our busy lives. Then when you finally pull your head out of the sand, you realize there are other choices available to you.

Thank you so much for the responses and all of the information. Clearly, I have some much overdo homework to do.
I think we get complacent in our busy lives. Then when you finally pull your head out of the sand, you realize there are other choices available to you.
Assuming you have a high speed internet connection (100 mbps or better) - the simplest approach for about $65/mo is to

• buy a Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV (one time purchase, no subscription) AND
  • subscribe to Hulu+Live, YouTube TV or Fubo TV (decent packages start at $65/mo). You get 65 to 105 live channels, including most everything you'd get with cable/satellite and the interface is much like cable or satellite TV. All three include cloud DVRs, very much like cable/satellite. It's very easy to get used to.
My wife wouldn't have made the switch if the user experience wasn't very similar to cable/satellite, so cheaper options weren't on the table then...

...if you want to save even more down to $20-30/mo, you can rely on an

• OTA antenna (additional one time purchase) and probably get CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS - they're a big part of the higher cost of subscribing to Hulu+Live, YouTube TV or Fubo TV. You'll probably get a bunch of other OTA channels, but most of them aren't highly desirable.
  • If you want to record them, you'll need a ReCast (additional purchase) like pb4uski, or there are other options like Tivo.
  • For the other cable channels, you can (with a Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV) subscribe to Sling TV, Philo TV for $20-30/mo for the big name sports, news and entertainment networks.
The setup pb4uski describes integrates it all fairly seamlessly, some of the other options are more confusing. These OTA + streaming options are better integrated now, vs when I cut the cord in Feb 2018, and getting better all the time.

And you can still subscribe to most any other service you'd like with streaming, e.g. Netflix, HBO, Disney, Apple, Discovery, Showtime etc. - and there's tons of free content, though most of it is worth what you pay for it.

Last edited:
I've tried the OTA antenna . My problem is that I live right down on the harbor, there is higher ground between me and every transmitter, and the digital signals are line-of-sight. So I could not get a station.

We cut cable last year and tried to get by with Locast and Netflix/Prime. However, DW missed the ability to channel surf and we just bit the bullet on YoutubeTV at least for a while. I do like it so far.

Teaser rates aside, I’ve said it before but cable/satellite can still be somewhat competitive for single TV households. But if you want 2,3,4 TVs, like a family, cable/satellite gets way more expensive plus 2 year contracts. OTOH I cut the cord in Feb 2018, so maybe cable/satellite pricing and contract obligations have changed?

I don't know about the other cable providers, but Charter Spectrum cable customers who have one box can stream the same service to any and all other TV's, and devices such as computers, phones, tablets. etc at no additional cost. And these devices don't need to be in the home where the cable and internet signal emanates from. The streaming also includes on Demand. The only thing the streaming does not include is DVR. We have 5 TV sets in the house that are either smart TV's or we use Roku. We have one box connected to our largest TV, for recording. Actually you don't even need the box and cable cord. You can sign up for streaming only. Buffering issues seem to have disappeared over the past year. We go wth one box though as the cost is only an additional $8.

I don't know about the other cable providers, but Charter Spectrum cable customers who have one box can stream the same service to any and all other TV's, and devices such as computers, phones, tablets. etc at no additional cost. And these devices don't need to be in the home where the cable and internet signal emanates from. The streaming also includes on Demand. The only thing the streaming does not include is DVR. We have 5 TV sets in the house that are either smart TV's or we use Roku. We have one box connected to our largest TV, for recording. Actually you don't even need the box and cable cord. You can sign up for streaming only. Buffering issues seem to have disappeared over the past year. We go wth one box though as the cost is only an additional $8.
I’m not disputing your claim, but not true anywhere we’ve lived. Here’s Spectrum at my address, they advertise $49.99 but it’s actually $95.40 plus additional fees and taxes.

Attachments

• 015B87D9-1E49-4C79-88DB-9EFE9C454C4D.jpg
    015B87D9-1E49-4C79-88DB-9EFE9C454C4D.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 41
When I was on Spectrum and used streaming out of home, if I was not using Spectrum Wi-Fi, several channels were not available. Also, I think a few were not available except at home streaming.

I took the plunge Jan 10 so I am now 30 days into no cable. Why - Comcast raised my bill again and at $150.00 for cate only and I said no more. Replaced 3 TVs with 3 Firestick 4K units I got on sale during Christmas. Between Pluto and ATT-now we have have not seen any problems. The AT&T package is $69 but I was an early adopter. Have not needed any OTA channels but we are also not big TV watchers.

Lookee what just arrived. Whoa, I thought I ordered a compact antenna? Well, I'll let you know how this works out. I should have room in the attic, I think.

Attachments

• winegard.JPG
    winegard.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 28
Something I recently learned something new about positioning OTA antennas:

I have used one of the flat antennas for OTA for years. I'd hang it on the wall and got decent reception on the second story where I lived.

In the new place I was able to get two of the main local channels when it was hanging on one wall, and to get the other two it would have to be hanging on the other wall - with the first two channels not coming in. :-(

Then I absentmindedly tossed the antenna flat on a shelf. Lo and behold, with the antenna laying flat (horizontal) I got all the local channels nice and strong.

I had never thought of that for some reason. It's worth trying.

mpeirce said:
Something I recently learned something new about positioning OTA antennas:

I have used one of the flat antennas for OTA for years. I'd hang it on the wall and got decent reception on the second story where I lived.

In the new place I was able to get two of the main local channels when it was hanging on one wall, and to get the other two it would have to be hanging on the other wall - with the first two channels not coming in. :-(

Then I absentmindedly tossed the antenna flat on a shelf. Lo and behold, with the antenna laying flat (horizontal) I got all the local channels nice and strong.

I had never thought of that for some reason. It's worth trying.

Thanks. I may try that myself.

Serendipity strikes again!

I am now 30 days into cord cutting, and have been very satisfied with Discovery+, Netflix, Prime and Locast. I even think the DW is getting weaned from her live TV shows. Going from $150 a month to $40 is quite nice.

Spectrum's cellphone plan is not a teaser rate. It's been the rate they've offered for at least the last 2 years.

I just don't use a lot of data as I always take advantage of wifi. I do use Google maps but it uses very little data.

We could use 5 gigs of data per month and would be paying the same amount as now. Don't see us ever using that much.

If the Spectrum plan doesn't work out then I'll go with Simple Mobile. It uses t-mobile network and costs $22.38 per month with 3 gigs. My daughter uses this and likes it.

No reason for us to continue to pay $70 a month.
Finally determined which mobile plan we're going with as our $70 T-mobile monthly service would start over in 3 days.

Went with Mint Mobile. $15 per month with 4 gigs data for each phone. They use T-mobile's network.

Ordered on Amazon 3 months for $45. After 3 months if you want to retain the $15 per month you have to prepay for 12 months. No problem.

It couldn't have been any easier. Received sim card, pop it in phone, activate on their website and port number. 5 minutes later service established with Mint and T-Mobile account automatically cancelled.

So basically cut our mobile bill by 50% with the same network and the only change from unlimited data to 4 gigs per month, which is plenty for us.

Should have done this a long time ago.

[emoji41]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom