Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Does that include the charge for equipment, fees, pinstriping, undercoating, fabric protection and etching your VIN on all your windows? :D

Yes, I get auto billed $60.89 each month, just started my 2nd year of this contract.

Just got this in an email from Sling.
Your DVR space is expanding to 50 hours at no extra cost
You asked. We listened. Sling TV has expanded the amount of DVR space on your account from 10 hours to 50 hours at no additional cost to you. If you want even more space, you can upgrade to DVR Plus, which has now been expanded to 200 hours for only $5/mo. Record more, watch more — now available wherever you watch SLING!
— The Sling International Team

Just got this in an email from Sling.
Your DVR space is expanding to 50 hours at no extra cost
You asked. We listened. Sling TV has expanded the amount of DVR space on your account from 10 hours to 50 hours at no additional cost to you. If you want even more space, you can upgrade to DVR Plus, which has now been expanded to 200 hours for only $5/mo. Record more, watch more — now available wherever you watch SLING!
— The Sling International Team
Thank you for the update. While we're still under contract with AT&T Uverse, we also understand that this won't last forever.

Sling TV (Blue + Total TV) *currently* gives DW all the channels she wants plus more (not including local channels, which we were able to pick up via antenna when I tested late last year). Increasing the optional DVR Plus to 200 hours eliminates one of her remaining concerns with Sling TV.

We are tv people too and used YTTV for a few months last summer. IMO it is every bit as good as cable TV that we are very experienced with from Xfinity at our winter home and previously having Dish TV at our summer home and my familiarity with Spectrum tv at my mother's summer home. For $65/month IMO it is much better than cable. We have cable tv at our winter home only because it is included in our HOA fees so we are already paying for it, but absent that I see no reason to ever go back to cable tv. Also, the YTTV rovides up to 3 simultaneous streams with no equipment cost so if you compare to cable cost be sure to include equipment costs and broadcast tv fees so you have apples-to-apples.

Thanks for the reply. YTTV question for you... I tried the free trial - accessing YTTV via the app on the smart TV. Two things I found really annoying...

1-Turning on the TV, going to the App, starting the app and then finding the channel on YTTV I wanted to watch... vs. just turning on the TV with cable and finding the channel

2-No channel #'s - it just seemed cumbersome to search for the channel I wanted - vs. punching in the number of the channel (which we have memorized for our frequently watched channels).

Also, no voice remote capability

Any of these things bother you? or did you find solutions?

Thanks

Sling TV

We've been considering YTTV as a solution for when we move to PA this Spring - an easy way to get the channels we watch often. Then, I noticed that the local cable company is offering Tivo Stream 4K as an alternative to standard cable and it includes Sling TV. The deal-breaker with Sling is the lack of some channels we would miss - particularly CBS and The CW. Anyone know why Sling doesn't have these channels and if there's a change they will get them at some point? Also, anyone have any experience with Tivo Stream 4K?

^ "Smart" TV's are notoriously [-]dumb[/-] cumbersome when it comes to streaming. Most serious streamers invest in a FIRE stick, a Roku or other streaming device to resolve most of your issues and provide voice remote capability.

The deal-breaker with Sling is the lack of some channels we would miss - particularly CBS and The CW. Anyone know why Sling doesn't have these channels and if there's a change they will get them at some point?
It's the choice they've made in order to set their costs. Some opt to offer local channels (YTTV, Hulu, fubo). Some don't (Sling, Philo). I am guessing to include CBS in the future is going to require the Paramount family of channels, which adds to the costs.

Check to see if Locast is available in the area you plan to move to. That might help with the local channels, short of trying out an antenna. https://www.locast.org

EDIT: The costs for Sling just went up this month. Sling Blue or Orange went from $30/mo to $35/mo. The extras went from $5/mo to $6/mo, except for the Sport Extra ($10/mo to $11/mo) and the DVR Plus Extra (unchanged at $5/mo).

https://www.sling.com/whatson/announcements/sling-tv-price-update-january-2021

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. YTTV question for you... I tried the free trial - accessing YTTV via the app on the smart TV. Two things I found really annoying...

1-Turning on the TV, going to the App, starting the app and then finding the channel on YTTV I wanted to watch... vs. just turning on the TV with cable and finding the channel

2-No channel #'s - it just seemed cumbersome to search for the channel I wanted - vs. punching in the number of the channel (which we have memorized for our frequently watched channels).

1- Yes, annoying, but unless I happen to want to watch the same channel as I finished on last time it's not that much difference.

2- I customized my YTTV lineup to have those channels I watch most, and would have the channel # memorized, at the top of the display. So it's not too bad but switching by channel #, or have a "last" button to let me switch between 2 channels is something I miss.

These annoyances are both fading over time, so clearly they weren't show stoppers.

Agree.. in my experience, cable and streaming are price competitive for one tv... but once cable adds in the broadcast tv fee, charges for each converter box, etc... then streaming becomes much better from a cost perspective.

This totally depends on area, provider and available bundle deals, it's not true in all cases - especially with the recent price increase for YTTV. I just re-upped for a 2-year deal with 400mb HSI + all non-premium channels on Comcast for $130/mo., tax+BS fees included. But I am using Tivo setup so no box fees. This is very competitive with HSI + YTTV.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Thanks
1- Yes, annoying, but unless I happen to want to watch the same channel as I finished on last time it's not that much difference.

2- I customized my YTTV lineup to have those channels I watch most, and would have the channel # memorized, at the top of the display. So it's not too bad but switching by channel #, or have a "last" button to let me switch between 2 channels is something I miss.

These annoyances are both fading over time, so clearly they weren't show stoppers.
+1. Saving about $1500 (versus Dish) since Feb 2018 makes an extra click to get to the channel we want to watch easy to get used to as well...

We use Rokus (with some voice commands) with PSV originally, then Hulu+Live. After customizing the guides, and automating DVR recordings, it’s simple - no more difficult than cable or satellite, we had them for 20 years!

Last edited:
I want to brag on my local coop fixed based wireless internet net provider. It's a feels like 2F outside and they did a random unasked for service call checking our antenna placement.. found us another 10 Mpb.. of download speed ..these guys are the best and put Comcast and all other to shame.

The guy said it was slow work days in the office and they wanted to check and make sure people are getting the max speed possible.

Thanks

No, didn't bother us at all. 1- didn't really bother me much... we use Fire TV sticks so YTTV was always right up there on the home screen. 2-even with cable I always use the channel guide since it seems quicker... I rarely input a channel number into the remote.

I think mitchjav's concerns are valid. I had the same user interface concerns that caused me to delay my cord cutting for a few years, especially since I was able to keep getting good deals. My experience and comments are documented on the old thread.

However, mitchjav, I'll say it was worth it to cut the cord, despite this slight downgrade in User Interface (UI) experience. The lack of sports during pandemic that I was paying for pushed me to cut the cord and I'm a streaming animal now. :)

TL/DR: After a week or two, this concern goes away once you get proficient with the typical streamer UI. It can be an impediment, however, for people with mild dementia who are unable to adjust. Go carefully in those cases. It may not be the best for our parents. Otherwise, give it a chance. I'm now very comfortable with it and only occasionally miss the ability to punch channel numbers. I also explore deeply and find shortcuts and ways to customize your guide. That helps a lot.

Long story: Here's the thing. The concept of "channel numbers" is baked into the UI from the turn of the 1900s. It started with radio. In a slight twist, these early radios were kind of like the "up/down" button of a streaming remote. There was no detent. You slowly dialed to get your station. Still, the numbers were there. Eventually, some radios had "favorites" you could punch to. Then when TV took off in the 50s, each channel had a simple number and detent (which could be fine tuned). For 50 years, we either punched in numbers or turned a dial that clicked to a detent.

All this history is to say that yes, it is a change to not have channel numbers. It also explains how the older you are, the more foreign it is to view without channel numbers.

Enter streaming. The original streaming services didn't have a concept of linear-live viewing. So, no channels were necessary. (Aside: I worked on a computer in the late 80's that a cable company was experimenting with to do a form of streaming. Yes, 80s! It would download movies over a few days.) For streaming, you'd pop from show to show or movie to movie. This occurred at the same time that Apple was revolutionizing the iPod with the most minimal UI possible. Before this, it was considered that the more buttons the better for audio devices.

So, devices like Roku or Firestick didn't need channel numbers. They very much copied the iPod to keep it simple. Apple TV, meanwhile, wanted to push even more minimal and created a remote with a mystery touch pad that has not been well accepted. You know, they had to go beyond the classic iPod and instead push the limits like the iPod touch. Still no number buttons.

Time marches on, and new services that provide live TV via internet-only appear. Call this Linear-OTT. "Linear" services would sure benefit from channel numbers since the live TV is characterized as channels, with most services now imitating the old cable TV guide. However, most of these services are used by people with Firesticks, Rokus and Apple TVs. Whoops, no way to punch in a number.

Meanwhile, PlutoTV and AT&T TV both have listed channel numbers. For Pluto, there's no way to use them, except for reference. AT&T TV has their own special box and remote that gives you a more cable-like experience including numbers. But, you'll pay for that - a lot. When you watch AT&T TV over other streaming devices, you go back to the old "up/down".

There are a lot of shortcuts that you can discover. For instance, on my Tablo, a two button press of down-then-left flips me back to the last channel. It is the two button equivalent of the "return" button on older remotes. This is one of many examples that unfortunately you have to explore to find.

I predict that eventually we may see the return of button numbers on some streaming models. We'll see. Also, everyone is working on a more integrated experience like power-on landing you on a favorite service, for example.

Good luck! This UI issue really stopped me for a long time. I forced myself to go for it during my two week trial on YTTV and became proficient enough to realize it wasn't that bad. I haven't looked back since.

Last edited:
I finally cut the cord last month. I was paying $233 a month for Xfinity triple play, of which MC (yes, still toiling in the salt mines) was reimbursing me for $80.

Spent roughly $280 to purchase a gig modem (replacing the xfinity modem), a gig wireless router, a wireless extender and a Roku Ultra. (Buying scratch and dent from Amazon is the way to go...saved over $100).

Xfinity internet (600 mbs) is now $90, again paid for by MC. Right now I am paying for Discovery +, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Shudder (just until the season of discovery of witches has finished), or essentially $20 a month in content (excluding amazon, since I pay for that anyway). I will recover the cost of the equipment in less than 3 months. I have no interest in getting the network channels, although I do have the apps to watch local news for free. If I am interested in a network show, I can either wait for it to make its way to some other service, or pay for a month and watch all episodes (will do that when Picard Season 2 drops).

I should have done this several years ago. I love being in control of the content I want to pay for, and not having to pay for content I do not want to support.

Last edited:
Converted 2 tv's a while ago to fire sticks, where I just watch Netflix and YouTube. Brought the old equipment back to xfinity.
We use 2 Firesticks in Mexico and take them back north. We originally got them because Cinema HD is so superior to pay-per-view VOD and is free.

But now we use Ola TV to get our channels back home, and by using Favs, it is easier than our TV provider up north. Mostly for local news, all HD.

There is no DVR, but most regular programs are on Cinema within a day. Our current Fav is Your Honor!

For old movies, we use Pluto TV.

You nailed it

I should have done this several years ago. I love being in control of the content I want to pay for, and not having to pay for content I do not want to support.

That is the essence of the streaming revolution. Got into that mindset a couple of years ago and have never gone back. In fact, we will have no more "regular" TV streaming when we return from our winter sojourn this year, and will just stay with Prime, HBO Max (zero cost to us), Netflix (shared account), and the soon to be added Disney+. If I want to see some sports it is on the TV at the places we stay for the winter, and Yahoo Sports shows some events live for free. It is a big new world out there and we're lovin' it.

I discovered my sports viewing was mostly habit and addiction. Cutting sports is a huge savings.

If I need noise in the background now, I just turn on Slow TV on Pluto and watch the Norwegian countryside go by from the cabin of the train. For free.

That is the essence of the streaming revolution. Got into that mindset a couple of years ago and have never gone back. In fact, we will have no more "regular" TV streaming when we return from our winter sojourn this year, and will just stay with Prime, HBO Max (zero cost to us), Netflix (shared account), and the soon to be added Disney+. If I want to see some sports it is on the TV at the places we stay for the winter, and Yahoo Sports shows some events live for free. It is a big new world out there and we're lovin' it.

That is one of the reasons I gave up TV over 40 years ago and never went back. If I want to know something or be entertained, I will actively go find it. I don't need to passively wait to receive information via the TV and I'm not limited by what the networks choose to present, either by content or by time. i.e. - I don't need my experience "curated" for me.

I discovered my sports viewing was mostly habit and addiction. Cutting sports is a huge savings.
I can pass on most of it, but I'm not ready to give up NFL, Golf, Olympics or Sailing. Maybe some day...

I could give up live news now, we [-]can't stomach[/-] don't watch much news besides PBS Newshour anymore. And you can see all the mainstream news you want on YouTube, within an hour or two of live broadcast, these days anyway if desired.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't give up sports, it's the main reason why I'm sticking with cable + Tivo. The Tivo experience is superior to any streamer out there.

I gave up on TV completely about 5 years ago and don't miss it. DW still needs it, however, so my dropping it doesn't save us any $$$.

Yeah I can't give up sports, it's the main reason why I'm sticking with cable + Tivo. The Tivo experience is superior to any streamer out there.
I don't have Tivo so I'm not arguing, I'm curious what makes Tivo superior to any streamer out there as we're happy with Hulu+Live?

I haven't completely given up sports. I just watch what is on OTA. Although, that is evaporating year by year.

I would sign up for Hulu+Live or YTTV to watch NHL, but since they are fighting with Sinclair, that's a no go.

I'll likely sign up for YTTV come Olympics time. If they happen.

The days of me just keeping a subscription 100% of the time to put on a game for background noise are gone.

Last edited:

I don't know much about TIVO: is it a cable (or OTA) solution only, or does it pair with streaming services also? I'd love to have one DVR solution for everything.

Back
Top Bottom