Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

We subscribe to Peacock and I have mixed feelings. The main one being that, as we subscribe to the "basic" that includes Ads, recordings preclude Subtitles. So, the choice is no Ads and no Subtitle of Ads and Subtitles.
I'm not sure what that means. I also have the version with ads, and I am able to turn on subtitles / closed captioning. I just checked with Amazon Fire HD and Roku using the Peacock app.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what that means. I also have the version with ads, and I am able to turn on subtitles / closed captioning. I just checked with Amazon Fire HD and Roku using the Peacock app.

Did you try to record the show (by any of the available means like PlayOn, Audias, etc) so you could "skip" the commercials?

Peacock seems to have a method that prevents the subtitles during recording, except in the high-priced subscription option. And then only in their DVR option.

Again, the Ads are not a big deal since they are few and short duration, but it is a irritation to not be able to record.

Did you try to record the show (by any of the available means like PlayOn, Audias, etc) so you could "skip" the commercials?

Peacock seems to have a method that prevents the subtitles during recording, except in the high-priced subscription option. And then only in their DVR option.

Again, the Ads are not a big deal since they are few and short duration, but it is a irritation to not be able to record.

Gotcha. I don't have a third party product that records Peacock, so I just watch their recordings as they are with the commercials. I don't watch it enough to justify adding another product or subscribing to the ad-free version with the offline downloader. I watch the channels even less than the other content. The ads don't bother me much, either.

Last edited:
Picked up Spectrum streaming-only for football/NCAA basketball season. We are Spectrum internet, land-line and mobile customers. For ONLY $29.99 per month. Well, there is a Local Broadcast Surcharge. I remember when it first started many years ago at $3.99. When I signed up for this streaming-only service, a few months ago, the local broadcast surcharge was $21.00 a month. Now it is $22.20 a month.

Debating a switch to Sling.

In the meantime, Spectrum has bumped internet service to $79.99 and land-line to $29.99. No, I am not going to Ooma or some similar service. We would drop our land-line. And I have no other internet choices. AT&T would go DSL at turtle speeds.

So, this is a vent only post.

Picked up Spectrum streaming-only for football/NCAA basketball season. We are Spectrum internet, land-line and mobile customers. For ONLY $29.99 per month. Well, there is a Local Broadcast Surcharge. I remember when it first started many years ago at $3.99. When I signed up for this streaming-only service, a few months ago, the local broadcast surcharge was $21.00 a month. Now it is $22.20 a month.

Debating a switch to Sling.

In the meantime, Spectrum has bumped internet service to $79.99 and land-line to $29.99. No, I am not going to Ooma or some similar service. We would drop our land-line. And I have no other internet choices. AT&T would go DSL at turtle speeds.

So, this is a vent only post.

The Spectrum price increases (seemed like every 6 months) are what drove us to T-Mobile internet. Started having some connection issues with it and learned on Reddit's T-Mobile internet forum that the gateway would overheat and to set it on a small electronics cooling fan. That solved 99% of our issues. $50 for life and bye bye Spectrum!

The Spectrum price increases (seemed like every 6 months) are what drove us to T-Mobile internet. Started having some connection issues with it and learned on Reddit's T-Mobile internet forum that the gateway would overheat and to set it on a small electronics cooling fan. That solved 99% of our issues. $50 for life and bye bye Spectrum!

Can you contact T-Mobile and tell them to please run lines to the mountains of NC? I suspect if Spectrum had any competition up here, prices would drop, but I do not know this.

Can you contact T-Mobile and tell them to please run lines to the mountains of NC? I suspect if Spectrum had any competition up here, prices would drop, but I do not know this.

Yes they would drop.

I live in a golden neighborhood in Raleigh. We have Spectrum, Google Fiber, and AT&T fiber. They compete with each other on price. It is flippin' awesome!

Can you contact T-Mobile and tell them to please run lines to the mountains of NC?
I suspect if Spectrum had any competition up here, prices would drop, but I do not know this.

Which mountains?

Our family cabin only had land-line telephone from when it was built in the early 1960s until last summer when the local telephone cooperative forced everyone to move from copper aerial to underground fiber.

Now one can buy 1GB internet if they want to pay the price...we settled for 45MB.

Yes they would drop.

I live in a golden neighborhood in Raleigh. We have Spectrum, Google Fiber, and AT&T fiber. They compete with each other on price. It is flippin' awesome!
Competition would definitely do that. We moved from an area where Comcast was the only internet game in town. Where we now live, there are three providers, and prices are considerably lower. But less populous areas are probably going to be higher regardless - fewer subscribers to amortize the trunk lines among.

Which mountains?

Our family cabin only had land-line telephone from when it was built in the early 1960s until last summer when the local telephone cooperative forced everyone to move from copper aerial to underground fiber.

Now one can buy 1GB internet if they want to pay the price...we settled for 45MB.

The local phone company doesn't come out here, only AT&T (copper) and Spectrum. Northwestern NC.

We received an email from Disney +, making us aware of an upcoming change to our subscription. Effective Feb 28, our subscription will be called the Disney + Premium Plan and will change in price to $109.99 per year. We currently just have the basic plan for $79.99 per year. They don’t say if any other options are available except for the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package which is even more money.

Has anyone else received this type of notice it aware of any other options for Disney + ?

We are thinking of just canceling until after a few episodes of The Madolorian comes out, they stream them all in one month.

^^ I couldn't go any further, or learn more, without creating an account - so I couldn't get more info. However, it looks like you're getting more features, whether you want them or not. Kinda what all the streaming platforms are doing,
  • increasing prices and (sometimes dubious) features whether you want them or not, and/or
  • splitting their content from one to two or more "channels" e.g. Discovery & Discovery+, NBC & Peacock, CBS & Paramount, etc. - forcing you to subscribe to both or give up some content you used to get with one channel...
We subscribed to Hulu+Live, and now get Disney+ and ESPN+, at a higher price even though we were fine without the latter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 3.04.56 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 3.04.56 PM.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

No wires required as T-Mobile internet uses phone signals to feed your home wifi. Do you have T-Mobile phone service in your area? Go to the T-Mobile website and see if your area is in the home internet program.

I see that Frndly TV has added Movies! to its lineup. So that is over 40 channels now, including HallMarks, for $8.99/month. I may have to switch from Philo!

I see that Frndly TV has added Movies! to its lineup. So that is over 40 channels now, including HallMarks, for $8.99/month. I may have to switch from Philo!

Frndly and Philo both look like ones I would consider if I was going to subscribe to something.

I get Peacock Premium for free with my Comcast internet service. Back before the holidays, they added the Hallmark Channels on there.

Peacock got rid of their free tier for new signups, but apparently existing users are grandfathered in. It has less content, no Hallmark, either.

I had read that Peacock Premium wasn't going to be free for Comcast internet users long term, but it still is to this point.

At this point, still being a full time employee in a single person household, I can't justify paying for any of this streaming. There's plenty of free stuff, plus I have my antenna and computer based DVR system for that.

We received an email from Disney +, making us aware of an upcoming change to our subscription. Effective Feb 28, our subscription will be called the Disney + Premium Plan and will change in price to $109.99 per year. We currently just have the basic plan for $79.99 per year. They don’t say if any other options are available except for the Disney, Hulu, ESPN package which is even more money.

Has anyone else received this type of notice it aware of any other options for Disney + ?

We are thinking of just canceling until after a few episodes of The Madolorian comes out, they stream them all in one month.

We were going to have this happen back in December but luckily for us there was a HULU, (with ads) plus Disney+, (no ads), combo deal for Black Friday that was only $4.98 per mo. for 12 months which we jumped on and then let the Disney+ account lapse in December. :dance:

From all the talk about the borrowing from others on streaming. I got to thinking this morning and decided to look at my Netflix account. The last time we used it here was on 07/06/2022 and my daughter who we shared with was 08/20/2022. She was letting us use her Disney account because we keep our DGD for her so she could watch it. DGD hasn't watched Disney over here since last April, and my daughter looked and said they haven't watched Disney since June. I told her that we were just going to cancel Netflix, and she said she was going to probably cancel Disney. That will save us ove r $200. a year and save her a little over $120. a year. Not a lot in the big picture but no use in paying and not using it.

Sling just announced they are adding ABC to the lineup in March. That was the one network my wife really missed. She would watch stuff on the ABC app but couldn’t see shows until the next day and couldn’t watch GMA in the morning. Of course they raised the price $5 to account for this but that’s not that bad.

From all the talk about the borrowing from others on streaming. I got to thinking this morning and decided to look at my Netflix account. The last time we used it here was on 07/06/2022 and my daughter who we shared with was 08/20/2022. She was letting us use her Disney account because we keep our DGD for her so she could watch it. DGD hasn't watched Disney over here since last April, and my daughter looked and said they haven't watched Disney since June. I told her that we were just going to cancel Netflix, and she said she was going to probably cancel Disney. That will save us ove r $200. a year and save her a little over $120. a year. Not a lot in the big picture but no use in paying and not using it.

Lot of people seem to rotate between services, as some new seasons of their shows become available.

Some services offer a discounted 1-year plans so that people don't churn their service.

Recently my "work around?" hack for many cable channels got shut down.
USTVGO.TV, so I'm not sure what we are headed for, we have an antenna and get plenty of channels, just occasionally watched a cable channel on TV or phone. We share Netflix with my daughter but mainly watch only when she's home, yep, that also seems to be going away also. I have prime I rarely watch it, I think the last time is when Mrs. Maisel came out and only watched 2-1/2 seasons.
There was an interesting time when I streamed a lot of free stuff after I dropped cable in 2014. I think that lasted about 4 years then it got harder and I just started watching a lot of Youtube. I wonder how long before that starts to cost more than just time.

Finally cut the cord with Direct TV after 25 years. Couldn’t take the haggling any more and the cost was so prohibitive. DW was apprehensive but once YouTube tv launched with same channels, she was happy. Cut costs in half.

Reason we held on so long was having access to the east coast feeds for networks. Got to see things 3 hours in advance of west coast times and usual twice as many NFL games.

Lost interest in NFL so made decision easier.

We subscribe to Friendly, mostly for the Hallmark/Lifetime movies, but we also record shows from the History channel. For some reason, we couldn’t sync the History channel app because Fumo wasn’t listed as one of the tv providers.

One thing that is annoying with Friendly, is when to set it up to record an entire series, the only two options are to record an episode or record all new and repeat episodes. There’s no option to record only new, which makes absolutely no sense.

I cut the cord about four years ago. I have done very well with Amazon prime and Hoopla and Kanopy through my library. Also when the kids come home for Christmas or a vacation, I signed up for a sling for a month.

We're going to be cutting the cord this month, and we'll be switching from AT&T's U-verse TV service to Sling Blue. We just got a price increase on U-verse this month (we have their U300 service to get DW all her channels/shows), and the monthly costs went from $182/mo (with fees and taxes) to nearly $195/mo. Even if we were offered a promo, which AT&T declined to do in December when our promo expired in November, it still would be $155/mo.

DW would also like Discovery+, but I have been reading about the merging of HBO Max and Discovery+ into a single streaming service (supposedly named "Max" for the moment). We have next to zero interest in HBO Max, so all this is going to do is increase the cost of the content she would like from Discovery+. This just sucks all around. :mad:

Sling just announced they are adding ABC to the lineup in March. That was the one network my wife really missed. She would watch stuff on the ABC app but couldn’t see shows until the next day and couldn’t watch GMA in the morning. Of course they raised the price $5 to account for this but that’s not that bad.
I hear this is only in a few of the larger TV markets. Still, it would be nice if a customer in those locations could opt out of ABC and save the $5/mo. Sadly, it sounds like a lot of the streaming services are turning into cable over time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom