Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Well, I cut the cable. Now I could use some advice. [emoji16]

Is there any streaming add on device that can integrate the OTA signal into its menu or guide. Currently we have a Fire stick we use for Prime video & some of my favorite apps. We’ve been watching FreeVee some for other stuff. Our Samsung tv seems to have kidnapped up into “Samsung TV plus”. It seems to be a pretty sucky interface and for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure out how I can get rid of it.

A friend has a Roku TV that he says,has a simple menu that integrates OTA with other programs very well. The add on Roku devices make no mention of being able to do this.

Any suggestions? I would not rule out a new TV it that makes things more streamlined.

TIA!
Murf

Is there any streaming add on device that can integrate the OTA signal into its menu or guide.

I don't think so. But I think over the air TV stations broadcast a channel guide.

Currently we have a Fire stick we use for Prime video & some of my favorite apps. We’ve been watching FreeVee some for other stuff. Our Samsung tv seems to have kidnapped up into “Samsung TV plus”. It seems to be a pretty sucky interface and for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure out how I can get rid of it.

I think Samsung TV is an app they put on their TV's that gives you a bunch of free TV stations and "channels". Your local TV stations are probably not included. Most TV manufacturers put something like "Samsung TV' on their TV's. For example, my LG C2 has "LG Channels" which is basically old, crappy TV shows that have been upscaled to 720p. No local stations.

Do you have an OTA antenna attached to the antenna input of your Samsung TV? If so, you are going to have to use the Samsung remote and select the antenna input to get over-the-air content. I think it's labeled "Source" on the Samsung remote. This article might help:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/...Once you are on the,are using an antenna only.

Once you get into the local over the air stations via the antenna you should have a channel guide available to access. (I think--I'm not real familiar with Samsung but that's how it works on my son's 5 year old Samsung 4K TV.)

A friend has a Roku TV that he says has a simple menu that integrates OTA with other programs very well. The add on Roku devices make no mention of being able to do this.
Murf

With a Roku TV it is a simple matter of using the Roku remote and going to the Roku home page and selecting "Antenna" to get over the air content (assumes you have an antenna hooked up to the TV.) There will be a channel guide and schedule grid available. Basically, with a Roku TV, over-the-air local stations are simply another "app" on the home screen. When you select it the TV makes the switch from WiFi streaming input to the antenna input on the back of the TV.

With a Roku stick plugged into a non-Roku TV, you have to set aside the Roku remote, grab the TV remote and select "Antenna" or "TV" to switch your TV over to the antenna input. From there you should have a channel guide.

With your Samsung and Firestick set up you would need to set aside the Firestick remote, grab the Samsung remote and change the source to TV.

Last edited:
Are you thinking of a Tivo like device that integrates some streaming services and OTA broadcasts?

If you are going to depend on OTA TV you might as well have a DVR device to record shows. Right now I have several weeks of Vienna Blood and All Creatures Great and Small waiting to be viewed from the DVR. Being able to watch at my own time and FF through commercials is worth every penny.

I think Sling had (has?) a product named "Air" that was supposed to combine OTA and streaming in one interface. And Amazon had the "Recast" to do the same, but it was discontinued last year. Since I've never used either, I assume someone will provide more helpful info. Sorry.

I've seen Roku TVs have an interface that includes OTA (note "Antenna" on Roku TV pic below), but that seems to be reserved for "Roku TV" with no equivalent for any of the Roku streaming devices themselves.

We just get everything we need with Hulu+Live, all channels including local majors. Same as YTTV, FuboTV and a couple others (not Sling). Costs more, but DW draws the line at fumbling with multiple remotes and changing input sources...

TCL-75-768x512.jpg

Last edited:
We just get everything we need with Hulu+Live, all channels including local majors. Same as YTTV, FuboTV and a couple others (not Sling). Costs more, but DW draws the line at fumbling with multiple remotes and changing input sources...
That's what I was trying to accomplish for DW. But while she doesn't have a huge list of "must-have" channels, her list can't be satisfied with any streaming TV service that includes local channels (outside of AT&T's DirecTV Stream). Each one is missing 4-5 out of the 11 channels (none are premium movie channels).

Still, we need to drop AT&T's U-verse TV service now that their price, with taxes and fees, just jumped up to $195/mo to get those 11 channels. Sling Blue with their Total TV option works, but we need to deal with the infrequent need for local channels and recording them.

Your mention of Sling's AirTV products may be something we consider, specifically because it will wirelessly link to the streaming devices in the house through Sling's menus.

Last edited:
I think Sling had (has?) a product named "Air" that was supposed to combine OTA and streaming in one interface. And Amazon had the "Recast" to do the same, but it was discontinued last year. Since I've never used either, I assume someone will provide more helpful info. Sorry.

I've seen Roku TVs have an interface that includes OTA (note "Antenna" on Roku TV pic below), but that seems to be reserved for "Roku TV" with no equivalent for any of the Roku streaming devices themselves.

TCL-75-768x512.jpg

I recently signed up for Sling just to see if it had improved. Used to be a little glitchy for me. But to my surprise they do integrate the OTA channels into their Sling menu. No 'Air' product needed anymore. I just use my LG remote to navigate the menu. Of course you can't record those channels or pause like you can with the true Sling channels. But it is nice not having to bounce back and forth between inputs to access Sling and OTA channels.

Is there any streaming add on device that can integrate the OTA signal into its menu or guide. Currently we have a Fire stick we use for Prime video & some of my favorite apps. We’ve been watching FreeVee some for other stuff. Our Samsung tv seems to have kidnapped up into “Samsung TV plus”. It seems to be a pretty sucky interface and for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure out how I can get rid of it.

A friend has a Roku TV that he says,has a simple menu that integrates OTA with other programs very well. The add on Roku devices make no mention of being able to do this.

Any suggestions? I would not rule out a new TV it that makes things more streamlined.

TIA!
Murf
Have you tried scanning for antenna channels with your current TV? They may show up in their TV guide once you have scanned them and their guide shows you all the OTA channels available but if not then you need a Roku TV. Antenna channels will show up first in the guide but you can add/delete favorite channels etc.
Go to 8.25 in this video for local TV if you don't want to watch the 10 minutes video which covers Pluto TV and other apps.

Thanks for the ideas all! I didn’t communicate my problem very well.
I can get my OTA channels. The problem is that the Samsung app has occupied the source position that used to be the “antenna “ position. This means I have to use the crappy Samsung app to get to them.

It’s not terrible I guess, just not very handy.

I did some looking on the web for answers. I think I have an older version but haven’t found a way to update it yet. My TV is pretty old. It might be worthwhile to update.

Thanks again!
Murf

The LG operating system can show OTA channels. Mixed with some streaming, I believe. I don't use it as I have a Tablo OTA DVR. Is this worth considering?

Thanks for the ideas all! I didn’t communicate my problem very well.
I can get my OTA channels. The problem is that the Samsung app has occupied the source position that used to be the “antenna “ position. This means I have to use the crappy Samsung app to get to them.

It’s not terrible I guess, just not very handy.

I did some looking on the web for answers. I think I have an older version but haven’t found a way to update it yet. My TV is pretty old. It might be worthwhile to update.

Thanks again!
Murf

If you want an OTA DVR buy a used Tivo Roamio OTA w/ lifetime service off eBay.

Or the base Roamio w/ lifetime since it can tune both antenna & cable channels (not at the same time, though)'

Use an external Roku or FireTV device for streaming.

Interesting article from Time discussing how streaming “wars” has entered a new “chaos” phase.

The Streaming Wars Have Entered Their Chaos Era

A few days ago, I stumbled upon a news item that broke my brain. “Disney Explores the Sale of More Films and TV Series to Rivals,” Bloomberg reported on Feb. 3, citing anonymous sources who said that the entertainment monolith was considering licensing some of its original content to outside platforms “as pressure grows to curb the losses in its streaming TV business.” This might sound like a pretty quotidian showbiz story, but here’s the thing: Disney’s new thinking—which CEO Bob Iger confirmed in an earnings call on Wednesday—directly contradicts the longstanding industry consensus that the best way for a studio to monetize its content is to hoard it all on its own subscription streaming platform. This is, in fact, the conventional wisdom that begat our current overabundance of subscription streaming platforms.

Disney isn’t the first major entertainment company to challenge this basic assumption of the streaming wars in recent months. Warner Bros. Discovery executed the same kind of pivot in December, pulling several titles off HBO Max with plans to license them to free, ad-supported TV (FAST) providers like Roku, Freevee, and Tubi. If the immediate effect of the latter decision was mass panic over the sudden disappearance of Westworld, then the more salient implication of the Warner and Disney stories—not just for the industry, but for viewers—is that executives facing huge losses now appear to be questioning everything they thought they knew about their business. In other words: the streaming wars have entered their chaos era.
https://time.com/6253697/streaming-wars-disney-chaos-era/

Last edited:
We cut today. AT&T wired our neighborhood for fiber, and so we went to them for internet.

For the past 5-7 years, with comcast/xfinity, we've haggled for discounts under threat of cancelling, and walked away with deals that made it worth our while to stay (ie, $50 more than internet to get full cable including HBO). But last time it got closer to $100 more, and we weren't happy.

Now we're getting AT&T, so will sub to HBO.
I also have Netflix, Prime, and the $2 Hulu sub. I figure we'll add and remove others when we want to watch something, and we have to figure out the best way to get the NHL playoffs.

I finally pulled the plug on Netflix yesterday. I just couldn't find anything I wanted to watch, and a whole lot I really didn't want to watch.... Still doing Youtube TV, however. Not the cheapest option, but it includes our local stations for news and weather, along with unlimited cloud recording capability that we use quite a bit for time shifting.

Interesting article from Time discussing how streaming “wars” has entered a new “chaos” phase.

I think this is a good description. Everything is upside down, all in the span of a year.

ABC (Hulu/Disney), CBS (Paramount+), NBC (Peacock), Fox (mostly Hulu/Disney), Big Cable (Discovery/HBO) had this great plan to force the users to their platform. They also knew that TV programs, new and old, were not enough, so they invested in original programming.

But then it didn't work. Eyeballs came, and then dropped. Not every user can subscribe to every service. Back in the 60s, you'd get your little brother to turn the dial, ya know.

HBO/Discovery threw in the towel and has thrown a lot of their content to Fox owned Tubi. There is more to come.

Fox shows on Hulu may disappear soon.

Peacock is trying to survive, now that they've forced so much content to pay only.

Disney+ is getting a measure of austerity from the new CEO.

Paramount+ is pondering what to do between Star Trek releases.

The only sure thing is one year from now, it will be different again.

Happy to report that I managed to reconnect my old, long-neglected rooftop antenna to my TV yesterday so that the Sojourner household could watch the Superbowl for free. :)

I was shocked to discover how great the signal quality is these days for the dozens and dozens of digital OTA channels my antenna picked up while scanning for channels. I remember one of the main reasons I never used it much "back in the day" (20 years ago) was the very spotty quality of most of the broadcast channels, such as the local CBS affiliate. Now, though, totally different story. I didn't notice a single blip or dropout during the entire Superbowl broadcast.

This revelation totally cements my decision not to pay for a live streaming TV service like YTTV or Sling. If and when I ever get the urge to watch some local sports or news, it'll be OTA or nothing for me.

^^^^ Check it again in the summer, when the leaves are on the trees.

Happy to report that I managed to reconnect my old, long-neglected rooftop antenna to my TV yesterday so that the Sojourner household could watch the Superbowl for free. :)

I was shocked to discover how great the signal quality is these days for the dozens and dozens of digital OTA channels my antenna picked up while scanning for channels. I remember one of the main reasons I never used it much "back in the day" (20 years ago) was the very spotty quality of most of the broadcast channels, such as the local CBS affiliate. Now, though, totally different story. I didn't notice a single blip or dropout during the entire Superbowl broadcast.

This revelation totally cements my decision not to pay for a live streaming TV service like YTTV or Sling. If and when I ever get the urge to watch some local sports or news, it'll be OTA or nothing for me.

Pretty cool, right?

Over the air broadcast is true 1080p and not 1080i. Also, the surround sound digital signal is not compressed.

Me? I watched the Super Bowl in 4K HDR on the Fox Sports app. A couple of times I switched back and forth between cable at 1080p and Fox Sports in 4K HDR, and it was quite an improvement on Fox Sports.

Pretty cool, right?

Over the air broadcast is true 1080p and not 1080i. Also, the surround sound digital signal is not compressed.

Me? I watched the Super Bowl in 4K HDR on the Fox Sports app. A couple of times I switched back and forth between cable at 1080p and Fox Sports in 4K HDR, and it was quite an improvement on Fox Sports.

It’s very cool for sure. I watched the first half using an indoor antenna and it was fine. I do not have one of those massive newer TVs though, just a Samsung 50”. Sound (including surround) came through well.

I don’t pay for any broadcast channels but have a few streaming services.

What do Cord cutters do for live local channels and PBS without paying $50 + for Streaming services that have them? The streaming services that have them like Sling etc. are as much as cable.

Note, they are not available OTA in our area.

Last edited:
What do Cord cutters do for live local channels and PBS without paying $50 + for Streaming services that have them? The streaming services that have them like Sling etc. are as much as cable.

Sling doesn't have a complete suite of local channels, and what they do have is limited. Some places are offered NBC and some are offered Fox. A few get both. For no extra charge to your service. The local broadcast fees for our AT&T U-verse TV service just jumped from $9.99/mo to $12.99/mo. And you can't opt out of it.

Now, I have heard ABC being offered in a few select markets (the big ones: NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Philadelphia) on Sling, but I believe this comes at a cost of $5/mo. I am not sure whether Sling users in those areas can opt out.

Last edited:

YouTube TV has live local channels and PBS + sports. Check out their website for your area.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

YouTube TV has live local channels and PBS + sports. Check out their website for your area.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
YouTube TV is $65 per month. Question was about how do you get local channels without paying $50+ per month.

I don't think there is a way to get all local channels without paying $50+ per month.

If you get Paramount+ for $4.99 per month you will get the local CBS affiliate station. Same thing with Peacock and will get the NBC affiliate. Not sure how you get the PBS, ABC, and the FOX affiliates without a $50+ monthly service like YouTube or Hulu.

YouTube TV is $65 per month. Question was about how do you get local channels without paying $50+ per month.

That is exactly what I am asking. For $65 One may as well stick to cable. Especially as their internet is really the only game in town and we would have to stick with them anyway. All other internet providers where we live are WAY too slow.

Back
Top Bottom