What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I'm watching the Great British Bake Off (Baking Show), but it is making me crave sweets (and I am trying to be on a low carb diet for my pre-diabetes!!

I guess I should watch something disturbing so I would lose my appetite. I'm behind on Walking Dead a few seasons, so maybe that is the ticket.

My husband brought home cds of Middlemarch from the library, so we are also watching that - but since I am currently reading it also I don't want to run the risk of spoilers until I have finished the book (and it is definitely jumping around in the book judging from episode one.)

I am watching the latest season of Doc Martin (Season 9). Martin Clunes as usual is great in this role.

The Undoing on HBO. 5 or 6 episode series. I’ve just watched the 1st 2 episodes. Extremely well acted. Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant.

Just started “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix, about an orphan who is a chess prodigy. The first episode was excellent, hoping that the rest are as good.

They did such a fantastic job with this show. It works for both Chess players and non-chess players alike. The sets and costumes are just amazing! I really enjoyed the series! I particularly liked the second to the last episode!

We finished "Tehran" on Apple TV+ the other night. I really liked it, and it had a surprising plot twist in the final episode. They left it open for another season, too.

I have been enjoying Tehran also, but one thing about it bothers me. When the dialogue isn’t in English the subtitle text is too small to read fast enough before it’s gone. I miss half the dialogue.

Just started watching Deutschland 89 on Sundance. This is the 3rd "season" - the first was "83" which I watched several years ago and really enjoyed. Somehow I missed "86" completely. Be warned - it's in German with English subtitles. We lived in Germany in the 90's not long after all of this happened so I appreciate brushing up on my German. Very engaging spy/political drama with a lot of realism of the times.

I have been enjoying Tehran also, but one thing about it bothers me. When the dialogue isn’t in English the subtitle text is too small to read fast enough before it’s gone. I miss half the dialogue.

Try this to change the font size:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/activate-subtitles-and-captioning-atvb5ca42eb9/tvos

Customize your subtitles and captions
In Settings Settings on Apple TV, go to General > Accessibility > Subtitles and Captioning > Style.
Choose an existing caption style, or create a new style based on your choice of:
Font, size, and color
Background color and opacity
Text opacity, edge style, and highlight

In one of the episodes the subtitles didn’t automatically work only on the non-English dialog like for the other episodes and I had to turn CC on, which activated subtitles for all dialog. Must have been a bug in the one episode.

Started watching a couple of new series(to me) on Peacock. Mr. Mercedes and The Capture. Peacock has a free version and a Premium version with more content. Since I'm a Comcast subscriber I get the Premium version free but it does have ads. So I upgraded for $5/mo for the ad free version. So far I like the content as well as any streaming service. Good to have options....

They did such a fantastic job with this show. It works for both Chess players and non-chess players alike. The sets and costumes are just amazing! I really enjoyed the series! I particularly liked the second to the last episode!

Here is a good review of the show. I don't believe it contains any "spoilers" (I didn't see any) but YMMV. It just does a good job of explaining the "insiders" aspect of the game.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/arts/television/chess-queens-gambit.html

The exchange between Beth (played by Anya Taylor-Joy) and Benny (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) reflects an insider’s knowledge of chess in the United States at the time that the show is set and is one of the many reasons that the series is one of the best and most successful screen adaptations of the game

Over the decades, it has become almost a running gag among chess fans to point out mistakes in onscreen portrayals of the game. ... Working with two consultants, Garry Kasparov, the former world champion, and Bruce Pandolfini, a well-known New York City chess coach, the creators of “The Queen’s Gambit” have avoided those errors.

Are you watching it in the original Welsh ? :cool::LOL:

Periodic subtitles....although I do throw in the occasional "Look You", and "yaki da*" for effect. :LOL:

*Yeah, I do know that's not how it's spelt. ;)

Working with two consultants, Garry Kasparov, the former world champion, and Bruce Pandolfini, a well-known New York City chess coach, the creators of “The Queen’s Gambit” have avoided those errors.

Holy cow, that's some serious brain power! Talk about qualified advisors.

If only Away had used qualified advisors for their mess of a show. We might have gotten a season 2.

just finished the first season of rebecka martinsson, a swedish murder mystery. very good with great scenery. Ida Engvoll plays the lead actress.

I’m surprised that the Russian sci-fi series Better Than Us hasn’t yet been mentioned on this thread (streaming on Netflix), because early retirement is explicitly mentioned as a theme. The notion is that widespread deployment of advanced robotics/artificial intelligence will permit early retirement to become the societal norm.

So, can the Russians do good sci-fi? The surprising answer (to me, anyway) is yes! Some random notes:
• the production values are high
• lots of beautiful Russian women :flowers:
• many of the male characters are unshaven, which leaves them with a grizzled look. Are razors in short supply in Moscow? :confused:
• sometimes content producers working in a totalitarian society insert subtle jabs at their governmental overlords. One of the characters continually carries George Orwell’s book Nineteen Eighty-Four, although this isn’t related to the plot in any way. Is this such a jab? :confused:
• early in the series, one of the male characters drives an American sedan (maybe a ‘70s or ‘80s model). What is such a car doing in a future Moscow? I’ve heard that old American cars are popular in Cuba, but Russia? :confused:

Have fun! :greetings10:

I’m surprised that the Russian sci-fi series Better Than Us hasn’t yet been mentioned on this thread (streaming on Netflix), because early retirement is explicitly mentioned as a theme. The notion is that widespread deployment of advanced robotics/artificial intelligence will permit early retirement to become the societal norm.

So, can the Russians do good sci-fi? The surprising answer (to me, anyway) is yes! Some random notes:
• the production values are high
• lots of beautiful Russian women :flowers:
• many of the male characters are unshaven, which leaves them with a grizzled look. Are razors in short supply in Moscow? :confused:
• sometimes content producers working in a totalitarian society insert subtle jabs at their governmental overlords. One of the characters continually carries George Orwell’s book Nineteen Eighty-Four, although this isn’t related to the plot in any way. Is this such a jab? :confused:
• early in the series, one of the male characters drives an American sedan (maybe a ‘70s or ‘80s model). What is such a car doing in a future Moscow? I’ve heard that old American cars are popular in Cuba, but Russia? :confused:

Have fun! :greetings10:

IMDB indicates that english is one of the languages spoken in the pgm? is it the predominant language spoken? and old American cars in Cuba may be all that the average person has access to.

IMDB indicates that english is one of the languages spoken in the pgm?

Mostly Russian, with English subtitles available.

I forgot to mention that I was surprised at the number of common English words that have made their way into colloquial Russian. If you don't speak Russian (I don't), listen for them! :greetings10:

I started a series last night - The Vast of Night. At least I thought it was a series. We were just looking for something to fill in a half hour or so before bedtime. But it turned out to be a movie. And it was so enthralling that we ended up watching way later than we had planned. I really enjoyed it. Very gripping, sort of retro, sci fi. A really nice surprise.

Other than that, just another +1 for The Queen's Gambit. We're on episode 5, and are totally hooked.

Back
Top Bottom