What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I've started Season 1 of the science fiction show The Expanse, recommended several times previously.

I've had to encourage several friends IRL to keep at it. Seasons 1 and 4 are the weakest of the show. Seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best tv I've ever seen and definitely the best "hard" sci fi show that's been made.

Apropos, I've started on the Apple tv show called "For All Mankind"
An alt-history of the space race set in the 1960s. It's fairly decent so far.
I mention it though as one of the writers/producers is Naren Shankar, who is also the Expanse showrunner. This guy just seems to make good tv (he is a physicist IRL and former writer on Star Trek TNG)

I've had to encourage several friends IRL to keep at it. Seasons 1 and 4 are the weakest of the show. Seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best tv I've ever seen and definitely the best "hard" sci fi show that's been made.

You don't mention season 5 - in case you're not aware, it seems to have dropped to Amazon Video last year.

I'm excited to get started with this show. I'm a fan of SciFi but it's been a while since I've watched anything in the genre.

New season:

Season 7 of The Brokenwood Mysteries is now on Acorn TV.

I just wish there were more episodes per season! :blush:

Binge watched The Handmaid's Tale over the past few days up to the present episode. It's in season 4 on Hulu which I joined for a 30 day free trial, $5.99 per month after if I choose to keep it. The Handmaid's Tale is a dystopian nightmare that depicts a part of America after a war as a place run by power hungry men using their edicts on religion to make the world a better place. Women take a backseat to men, lose their jobs and are forced to hold limited places in society. The birth rate is so low that fertile women are forced to work as handmaids for military and government personnel whose wives are barren. They must have children for the women who can't. The military is everywhere on the street and it is difficult to escape this area of America they call Gilead.

The Mare of Easttown on HBO miniseries, first 2 episodes very good. Kate Winslet

I think 4 are loaded now. While it's frustrating to watch something old-school, weekly ep drops, I think this show is better for it. It's the kind of show that stays in your head, and there's so much in each episode. I might rewatch #3 before watching #4 tonight.

Winslet is certainly going to get nominations for her work on this.

I thought there were only 2 seasons of Fortitude. Are we talking about the same series?

I thought Season 2 was so bizarre... (although Season 1 is quite bizarre as well. I liked Season 1 better...)

I think 4 are loaded now. While it's frustrating to watch something old-school, weekly ep drops, I think this show is better for it. It's the kind of show that stays in your head, and there's so much in each episode. I might rewatch #3 before watching #4 tonight.

Winslet is certainly going to get nominations for her work on this.

I don't think I will rewatch #3 or #4 (although I have gone back to a prior episode to catch some details I had missed the first time), but I'm loving it. I'm looking forward to future episodes!

I'm watching Wire in the Blood on Acorn.

I'm a huge fan of Robson Green and Hermione Norris, and this show doesn't disappoint.

Bomb Girls on Acorn. WWII women working in a Canadian bomb factory. Only 4 episodes left to watch and very much enjoyed every one.

I really recommend this show.

From the NYTimes review:

‘Kim’s Convenience’ (on Netflix)
The writer-producers Ins Choi and Kevin White based this low-key Canadian sitcom on Choi’s play of the same name, about a Korean immigrant couple named the Kims (played by Paul Sun-Hyung Lee and Jean Yoon), who run a convenience store and meddle in the lives of their two independent-minded adult children (Andrea Bang and Simu Liu). During its five-season run — recently completed — “Kim’s Convenience” told stories set in a modern, multicultural Toronto, concerned with family traditions and generational divides. Its short, sweet episodes are as funny as they are relatable. Our critic said, “If you miss when ‘Modern Family’ was good, try this.”

I've just finished watching EP5 (the final episode) of Mare of Easttown. I enjoyed the show from the beginning till the end.

Now onto Hacks on HBO. I'm on the second episode and I gotta say, I'm loving it! So funny.

I just finished season 1 of "Shadow and Bone" on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Set in a mythical world that seems sort of medieval northern Europe. Warring kingdoms, magic and sorcery... that sort of stuff. Good acting, likeable characters, really hoping for a season 2.

I've started Season 1 of the science fiction show The Expanse, recommended several times previously. I expect every episode to be my last because I don't like shows where every single character is cynical and hard-bitten, where the writers are trying to introduce some bizarre lingering mystery, where there's a lot of violence, etc. But!!! Like Scheherazade's monarch, I keep coming back for another story. I think it's because the setting - the early settlement of the solar system - is so nuanced and believable. And the characters are gradually unfolding, becoming more three dimensional. I'll watch another episode tonight, and am looking forward to it!
We are re-watching this show.... finished season 1 last night. We weren't sure if we'd watched S01 - S03, or S01 - S02, so we started at the beginning. Really glad we did. It's the best show we've watched in a while. I recall the later story line includes at least some of the "tragic back story telling", but thankfully not much of that in season one. It's nice to watch it again because we know where the plot is generally headed, but don't remember the details.

I really recommend this show.

From the NYTimes review:

‘Kim’s Convenience’ (on Netflix)
The writer-producers Ins Choi and Kevin White based this low-key Canadian sitcom on Choi’s play of the same name, about a Korean immigrant couple named the Kims (played by Paul Sun-Hyung Lee and Jean Yoon), who run a convenience store and meddle in the lives of their two independent-minded adult children (Andrea Bang and Simu Liu). During its five-season run — recently completed — “Kim’s Convenience” told stories set in a modern, multicultural Toronto, concerned with family traditions and generational divides. Its short, sweet episodes are as funny as they are relatable. Our critic said, “If you miss when ‘Modern Family’ was good, try this.”

+1 on Kim's Convenience

I grew up in an Italian-American situation that was very similar to the Korean-Canadian situation of the characters in Kim's. Old country parents, new country children (me!). I am amazed at the similarities. Umma and Abpa could have been my parents.

We are re-watching this show.... finished season 1 last night. We weren't sure if we'd watched S01 - S03, or S01 - S02, so we started at the beginning. Really glad we did. It's the best show we've watched in a while. I recall the later story line includes at least some of the "tragic back story telling", but thankfully not much of that in season one. It's nice to watch it again because we know where the plot is generally headed, but don't remember the details.

I started by reading the books in the Expanse series. I would read one of the books then I would watch the corresponding TV production. Honestly, I don't know how someone who hadn't read the books could get the full experience of the TV production. There is so much nuance going on under the surface. I suspect your method of going back over the series allows you to easily fill in these spaces subconsciously.

I'm up through S04, books and TV shows. I don't recall much "tragic back story" in the TV production. I will say that the move to Amazon producing the shows rather than SyFy has not done it any favors. Still, a very good TV show.

I started AMC's "Gangs of London" last night. I won't be continuing with it. Overly violent and gory, and the subject matter--the search for the killer of a crime syndicate's patriarch--did not interest me. The heir to the throne is a petulant child-man who is clearly in over his head. There wasn't one character that I remotely liked or identified with.

I'm up through S04, books and TV shows. I don't recall much "tragic back story" in the TV production. I will say that the move to Amazon producing the shows rather than SyFy has not done it any favors. Still, a very good TV show.

I started watching and just got to season 2. I agree lack of back story is frustrating. How we got from now to then, vs. a glancing intro, would be helpful.

I do find the whole series somewhat depressing and claustrophobic though - future space is bleak for everyone (probably reality) - the only place that looks appealing is Earth. Everything is a ship or a station and dark and cramped and dangerous and no thank you I will stay here.

I thought Season 2 was so bizarre... (although Season 1 is quite bizarre as well. I liked Season 1 better...)

There is a season 3, 4 episodes, but not available on Amazon Prime. It is... well... for me, the show went from "wow, interesting story" (season 1) to "okay... this is getting strange" (season 2) to "what the heck am I watching??" (season 3). :)

Back
Top Bottom