What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

On Amazon Prime Video, I recently found Dickensian very fun. It's a mashup of characters and plots in multiple Dickens novels, with one subplot a murder mystery of who killed Jacob Marley. Good enough I may re-watch next winter.

There are also cheap b*****ds who've held on to their 10 year old plasmas because they still work. Present company included.

+1

My 42 inch plasma is still going strong. When it gives up the ghost, I will probably spring for an OLED. Meanwhile, don't even dare to try and separate me from my plasma TV.

I'm a few years behind but just finished TURN: Washington's Spies on Netflix. Great period drama set in the Revolutionary War.

I found the new Star Wars: Bad Batch is one of the few 3D CG series I don't dislike immediately. The story reminds me of the A-team and the Firefly style.

Superhero shows: Invincible on Amazon was decent. Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix was good enough that I'm interested, but could easily fall down.

Thriller: I'm enjoying The Head on HBO because Antarctica.

YA feeling stuff: Shadow and Bone (netflix) is ok so far, The Nevers (hbo) is fine.

Hard to recommend anything not already covered here, so these are probably duplicates, but here are a few of our recent favorites:

Ted Lasso on Apple+ is a wonderful comedy. One season available and a second due in July. Worth the price of the subscription.

I have seen Mare of Easttown recommended and just want to second that. Kate Winslet is extraordinary. Not a comedy.

The Dectorists. A sweet, elegant and lovely award winning British comedy from Mackenzie Crook.

Cafe. A similar flavor, although very different setting, than Detectorists. Short episodes with little plot, just the interactions of a group of interesting people.

"The Most Dangerous Game", a short series on the ROKU channel. When I say "short series" I mean the format is 15 or 16 episodes of about 7 or 8 minutes in length. It's a thriller that stars Liam Hemsworth as a 30-something athletic guy that has had doctors tell him he has only months to live. He's an expectant father and in over his eyeballs in debt. He hears about a strange "assurance" company that might be able to help him out. Turns out the company stages hunts whereby Liam would be the prey and for every hour he survives he gets a small fortune wired into his bank account. The amount escalates as the hunt continues.

It's intriguing enough that I watched the first 10 episodes (about 75 minutes worth.) The short running format of the episodes is perfect for cliffhangers. In this regard it reminds me somewhat of "24", one of my favorite shows. The fun is putting yourself in Hemsworth's place and trying to figure out how to survive. There are commercials between some episodes--but not all episodes and not too many commercials--so they aren't terribly disruptive.

Last edited:
I have seen Mare of Easttown recommended and just want to second that. Kate Winslet is extraordinary. Not a comedy.

+1 and no...definitely NOT a comedy. There are a few great comedic moments, but they are few and far between. Excellent show, though. Last one is this coming Sunday.

Last edited:
"Short Attention Span Theater"

Pretty much. The show was originally produced for an entity known as Quibi, which was a media startup company in 2020 that was marketing the episodic format on a subscription basis and touted it as being perfect for cell phones. An episode would come out every day.

There were at least a couple dozen other shows in the same format, some with some well known names--John Travolta, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Hart, Anna Kendrick, etc.

+1 and no...definitely NOT a comedy. There are a few great comedic moments, but they are few and far between. Excellent show, though. Last one is this coming Sunday.
Definitely looking forward to it! Really wondering what it was that was saved from burning in the fireplace.

The new season of History Channel's "Alone" starts on June 3..........I can't wait! This season the contestants are on a large, high-altitude lake in British Columbia. The area has a high density of grizzly bears and other predators. Should be interesting........

The new season of History Channel's "Alone" starts on June 3..........I can't wait! This season the contestants are on a large, high-altitude lake in British Columbia. The area has a high density of grizzly bears and other predators. Should be interesting........

If you like archery (and hunting) the Youtube bowyer Clay Hayes is apparently on it this time.

I also watch the Youtube channel of Dave Whipple, who was apparently on it years ago along with his wife.

I like their youtube channels. You generally couldn't pay me to sit through "reality" tv though... YMMV.

If you like archery (and hunting) the Youtube bowyer Clay Hayes is apparently on it this time.

I also watch the Youtube channel of Dave Whipple, who was apparently on it years ago along with his wife.

I like their youtube channels. You generally couldn't pay me to sit through "reality" tv though... YMMV.

I do like archery, and I am a bowhunter (for deer), so I look forward to watching Clay. I am not generally a fan of most "reality" tv either (I can't stand to watch "Survivor", for example........it's mostly just a game show, and way too much drama). But Alone is unlike any of the other survival shows. There is no camera crew or other people with the contestants (they film themselves with the equipment provided), and some of the things they go through to try to stay alive are quite interesting, at least to me. I've enjoyed every season so far.

Started watching "Patriot" on Amazon Prime. What a strange show. Story is about a CIA agent whose cover is working at a pipe fitting company in Milwaukee. This cover was chosen because the company has business in Luxembourg, a country that has people connected to friendly entities in Iran. The agent's job is to deliver a big bag of money to a contact in Luxembourg who will then deliver it to the CIA's chosen candidate for President of Iran.

The main character really doesn't want to be a CIA agent, he wants to be a folk singer. He writes song about his previous and current ops and sings them in public. In fact, he's probably the worst CIA agent ever portrayed, or at least would give Maxwell Smart a good contest. For example, his first day on the pipe fitters job he tells a co-worker he's a secret agent. A former cop, now custodian named Mr. Birdbath overhears and starts blackmailing him.

The show is maddeningly slowly paced but the acting and cinematography is top notch. It's a quirky ride so far. The show can't decide if it's a black comedy, a drama, or a satire. I keep saying I'm going to quit watching it, but I find myself booting up the next episode.

Last edited:
Watched the Detectorists based upon a recommendation from here. I thought it was funny, clean, and just very good.

Watched season 3 of Kominsky Merhod. Only 6 episodes so it went fast. Not as good as the first two seasons IMO. Kinda seems like this might have been the final season.

Season 4 of In Treatment on HBO. It's been 11 years since Season 3. Quite the break, but very good. Gabriel Byrne is not the Therapist, but the format is the same, with 4 vignettes each week.

Back
Top Bottom