What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Nah, I would not say that. I mean other than gratuitous nudity, but even that I think balances out over the long run. If anything the women are the best developed characters.

Violence against women isn’t a major plot component?

Well, in fairness, the Middle Ages were not exactly enlightened with the #metoo ideology.

For all those saying they’ve never watched GOT and never will, it’s certainly your choice. But you are missing out. The show is simply great. Well made, acted, and written. Stellar. Very good case to be made that it’s the best show ever made. But as always, YMMV
My understanding is that it has is a fantasy setting, not the historical Middle Ages.

There are major scenes of violence. They're not sugarcoating things, but it's not explicit.

But most of the women survive, at least so far.

Lot of violence is visited on the male characters too.

I'd say violence is a major plot component. "Heads will roll" is an apt tagline for this series. Women aren't excluded, but more of that is off-screen.

My understanding is that it has is a fantasy setting, not the historical Middle Ages.
Agree, it has a definite Middle Age feel but you there is no basis for expecting a historical depiction of it.

Yes, it’s a fantasy setting. Dragons, giants, and three-eyed ravens are real in this world. But it’s certainly based on a Middle Ages look and feel to the world.

If you don’t want to see violence or sex/nudity, then it’s definitely not for you. But if your okay with that, when used in a manner to further an amazing plot line, then you’ll love it. But it’s probably wrong, in my opinion, to just dismiss the show cause it mistreats women. I’m sure you have many reasons for not wanting to view it.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so this may have been mentioned. DW and I are enjoying "Jack Taylor" on Netflix.

Over the winter we enjoyed "Ozark"...which took some getting used to but once we did we enjoyed it a lot.

+1 to Ozark.
Am going to check out Jack Taylor, thanks for the lead.

Violence against everybody is the major plot component. Women, Men, Children, animals, even dead people. Nobody is spared.

Watching GOT makes me glad we Americans over kicked out the kings, queens and other royal family folks years ago.

What new series are you watching?

I’m attempting an entertainment (fictional)
violence diet (how much hacking/slashing/blood spattering does a person really need?) so possibilities are really narrowed down. It seems it’s been amazingly difficult to find an interesting, well told story that doesn’t rely on copious amounts of torture and cruelty. So, I’ve been watching documentaries on a huge variety of topics and that has been great fun. Yes, some of these involved historical violence so it’s not a perfect system.... I’m especially focusing on those that present ideas and positions that I’m “against” in an effort to develop a more humane view of my fellow humans.

I’m thrilled to find out I’m not the only one who hasn’t seen GOT! Inexplicably, life has carried on quite nicely with this gaping hole of cultural memory....although, how cool is a dragon that you can fly with - I’m totally into that.

Last edited:
We're re watching the first season of GOT. It all makes better sense for the last season b/c it comes full circle. First season you're introduced to everyone that's important throughout the series. White walkers are talked about in the very first episode. Skipping the middle seasons.

The strength of women develops in the series. The first episode women are subservient.

Last edited:
We watched the first episode of GOT and weren’t hooked so that was it (DH loves fantasy so I could see him watching more but still very meh for me—yes I’m shallow). Now we don’t have HBO so not available. There’s so much good TV right now that it wouldn’t even be on DH’s list I don’t believe. But obviously it’s really good or it wouldn’t have the audience.

Kit Harington was on SNL a few weeks ago and did a hilarious imo skit in his underwear getting a proctologist checkup.... he kept a straight face throughout and never broke character. That’s a real actor!

Haven't watched any recent series... Not enough time left. :(

But.. though I hardly ever recommend, I am currently binge watching on Prime.. the greatest series ever on TV... 85 episodes of "Monk". (up to #21 now)
Maybe "new" to you.

If you've never watched this, give it a try. See what life was like in the last century.

Kit Harington was on SNL a few weeks ago and did a hilarious imo skit in his underwear getting a proctologist checkup.... he kept a straight face throughout and never broke character. That’s a real actor!
My favorite part was the opening where the audience was asking him about what happens in season 8, including a couple of cast members. Emilia Clark then asked, "Do you remember when we had sex in season 7?" "Well, yes." "Did you know they were filming that?"

I’m attempting an entertainment (fictional)
violence diet (how much hacking/slashing/blood spattering does a person really need?) so possibilities are really narrowed down.

Sometimes DW and I think we're the only ones who really can't tolerate all this blood and gore that comes along with the shows we're told are "great" these days. We tried watching the first episode of GOT but when the entrails started falling out we said, "Nope!"

We like the British procedural crime shows but even when they don't actually show the gore they tend to describe it in such graphic detail that they might as well.

Yeah, I haven’t been able to watch the Vikings. Only so much I can take.

So, no, you are not alone.

We have been totally enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on Netflix, a British production based on a 2004 novel by Susannah Clarke. Beautifully produced and some great acting. I particularly enjoyed the twists with the Napoleonic Wars history as I have studied that period quite a bit. Here is a bit of the synopsis from Wikipedia.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is the debut novel by British writer Susanna Clarke. Published in 2004, it is an alternative history set in 19th-century England around the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Its premise is that magic once existed in England and has returned with two men: Gilbert Norrell and Jonathan Strange. Centred on the relationship between these two men, the novel investigates the nature of "Englishness" and the boundaries between reason and unreason...

Secret City on Netflix. Convoluted mix of government, spies, the reporters trying to get the right story, mystery looming around every corner. Finding characters you love and respect the villain, but are they? Everyone has an angle. I found myself sympathizing with someone I'd find repulsive after knowing the back story.

We have been totally enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on Netflix, a British production based on a 2004 novel by Susannah Clarke. Beautifully produced and some great acting. I particularly enjoyed the twists with the Napoleonic Wars history as I have studied that period quite a bit. Here is a bit of the synopsis from Wikipedia.

Is that on streaming Netflix? DH would love it but I’m not finding it on the Netflix app. It shows on on the Amazon Prime app search but not as a freebie.

Has anybody watched Goliath Season 2 on Amazon Prime Video? Absolutely bizarre!!

Last edited:
Has anybody watched Goliath Season 2 on Amazon Prime Video? Absolutely bizarre!!
Yes, I like Billy Bob Thornton. I do enjoy "bizarre" shows/documentaries and movies. Interesting interview with Dan Rather on AXES TV, if you get that channel. He's quite an unusual person, very talented.

Informer - Amazon Prime. Lots of twists and turns. Liked it a lot.

Yellowstone - Paramount Network. One of my favorite shows of all time (well in recent memory at least ;))

I’m watching Yellowstone also, but it somehow seems to tease without satisfying.

And City On a Hill w/ Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge on Showtime.

Back
Top Bottom