What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

While it is not an award winning show, The Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix is really quite funny. It's over the top bloody and not for everyone. Drew Barrymore and Tim Olyphant are a fun and loving couple.

The 'IT Crowd' has some hilarious moments. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/

The Widow on Amazon.
Set in sub-saharan Africa, a woman travels from Wales to find out why her husband died in a plane crash. Excellant.

I recently re-watch True Detective 1st season, 2nd is bull ****, aiming to try 3rd one which released in early in 2019 - anyone seen it? Glad to hear any impressions from watching!

Thanks!

Skipped second season after the first show. Season three much better

I feel so left out when people take about GOT. It's like i'm the only person who hasn't seen every episode and knows every character.

I have not seen a minute of it. I know there are dragons in it, that's about it.

Both my college aged kids quit watching it about two-thirds through Season 1 and knowing the types of shows I like to watch said I wouldn't like it and not to waste my time. So I didn't.

GoT is way more than swords and dragons.

It's about family, politics, loyalties, etc.

Very human drama with a lot of humor.

I have not seen a minute of it. I know there are dragons in it, that's about it.

Both my college aged kids quit watching it about two-thirds through Season 1 and knowing the types of shows I like to watch said I wouldn't like it and not to waste my time. So I didn't.

I didn't even know there were dragons and I am 37 lol. A co-worker labelled me as one of the GOT characters and everyone was ooooh totally, he is that guy. I had no clue...but I'm sure they are right.:flowers:

I didn't even know there were dragons and I am 37 lol. A co-worker labelled me as one of the GOT characters and everyone was ooooh totally, he is that guy. I had no clue...but I'm sure they are right.:flowers:

The night king?

.... A co-worker labelled me as one of the GOT characters and everyone was ooooh totally, he is that guy. I had no clue...but I'm sure they are right.:flowers:

If your co-worker labelled you as "the unsullied guy," well, that's not as complimentary as it sounds.:)

I feel so left out when people take about GOT. It's like i'm the only person who hasn't seen every episode and knows every character.

I've never seen it. I have several younger co-w#rkers who are obsessed with it. I may watch it some day if it ends up on Netflix or another streaming service. Then again, I may not. Palace intrigue and the high body count don't really do anything for me. Although the dragons sound pretty cool! :D

While it is not an award winning show, The Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix is really quite funny. It's over the top bloody and not for everyone. Drew Barrymore and Tim Olyphant are a fun and loving couple.

The 'IT Crowd' has some hilarious moments. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/

Since you enjoyed the IT Crowd, you might like Black Books on Amazon Prime. Another Brit comedy with "offbeat" characters, to say the least!

I just added HBO to Amazon Prime and am binge watching GOT to catch up. I'd seen the first season and parts of others but I started from the beginning to better understand it.

I have not seen even one episode.

Plus 1.... not a single episode...

I will admit that I did go to youtube and watch a couple of scenes... there was an article about some lady and they said she had little acting skills but was naked all the time on the show... so I checked her out... I can see why men would like it... not so much women... but, this was maybe 5 minutes of watching...

I’ve never seen an episode.

We haven’t had HBO.

But regardless, I’d read a few articles about it and it sounded rather misogynistic, so I wasn’t so motivated.

We did stumble into a GOT shoot once in southern Spain. Tried to visit a Roman ruin Italica and it was completely off limits due to shooting GOT.

I’ve never seen an episode.

We haven’t had HBO.

But regardless, I’d read a few articles about it and it sounded rather misogynistic, so I wasn’t so motivated.

We did stumble into a GOT shoot once in southern Spain. Tried to visit a Roman ruin Italica and it was completely off limits due to shooting GOT.

Well, in fairness, the Middle Ages were not exactly enlightened with the #metoo ideology.

For all those saying they’ve never watched GOT and never will, it’s certainly your choice. But you are missing out. The show is simply great. Well made, acted, and written. Stellar. Very good case to be made that it’s the best show ever made. But as always, YMMV

They shoot at some beautiful locales in Europe.

But regardless, I’d read a few articles about it and it sounded rather misogynistic,
Well, the female characters IMHO are smarter, stronger, and tougher than most if not all the males. And in the case of Cersei, more villainous as well.

Nah, I would not say that. I mean other than gratuitous nudity, but even that I think balances out over the long run. If anything the women are the best developed characters.

Women are in leadership positions.

If anything, Martin overcorrects and gives women more power and agency in this archaic world than they probably would have had.

Probably a 21st century lens looking at a world which is vaguely similar to our distant past.

What new series are you watching?

Women are in leadership positions.

If anything, Martin overcorrects and gives women more power and agency in this archaic world than they probably would have had.

Probably a 21st century lens looking at a world which is vaguely similar to our distant past.

It’s true they are in leadership positions (Cersei, Khaleesi, Sansa). But they’ve paid severe costs getting there. Those costs could be described kindly as misogynistic. But as portrayed in the series, it certainly turned them into strong women.

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so this may have been mentioned. DW and I are enjoying "Jack Taylor" on Netflix.

Over the winter we enjoyed "Ozark"...which took some getting used to but once we did we enjoyed it a lot.

It’s true they are in leadership positions (Cersei, Khaleesi, Sansa). But they’ve paid severe costs getting there. Those costs could be described kindly as misogynistic. But as portrayed in the series, it certainly turned them into strong women.

You also have female warriors like Arya, Brienne and Yara.

And Diana Rigg had a great role at her age, playing the matriarch of one of the families.

Borrowed from the library, and we watched the first episode tonight - Dickensian.

Amalgamating and intertwining characters & plots from Dickens' stories.....lots of Twists....so far very enjoyable:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/dickensian

Back
Top Bottom