What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of SyFy's black comedy, "Resident Alien." The premise: an alien on a mission to kill all humans crash lands in winter near a remote Colorado town. He decides he must continue with his mission and so is forced to take on the physical appearance of a somewhat reclusive new resident (who lives outside of the town and is a medical doctor.) Coincidentally, the town's G.P. is found deceased under suspicious circumstances so the town leaders prevail upon the alien to take over the dead doctor's clinic.

The alien's high level of intelligence is only matched by his huge ego and his disdain for humans. The chink in his armor is the rare human being who can see him as the alien he actually is, not his adopted human form. There is one town person with that ability: a preteen boy who at this point is the main antagonist. Also creating problems is the alien's attempt to adapt to his human form. Some of the characters are a bit over the top but it is a comedy after all. And there's the mystery of who killed the town doctor. Anyway, I'm looking forward to more episodes.

So, since I bought HBO Max to watch Raised by Wolves (which is okay, but not great so far IMO), I’m wondering if anyone has other show recommendations available on this service. Thanks.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of SyFy's black comedy, "Resident Alien." The premise: an alien on a mission to kill all humans crash lands in winter near a remote Colorado town. He decides he must continue with his mission and so is forced to take on the physical appearance of a somewhat reclusive new resident (who lives outside of the town and is a medical doctor.) Coincidentally, the town's G.P. is found deceased under suspicious circumstances so the town leaders prevail upon the alien to take over the dead doctor's clinic.

The alien's high level of intelligence is only matched by his huge ego and his disdain for humans. The chink in his armor is the rare human being who can see him as the alien he actually is, not his adopted human form. There is one town person with that ability: a preteen boy who at this point is the main antagonist. Also creating problems is the alien's attempt to adapt to his human form. Some of the characters are a bit over the top but it is a comedy after all. And there's the mystery of who killed the town doctor. Anyway, I'm looking forward to more episodes.

I liked the sound of this show based on your synopsis. But I couldn’t find it for free on Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, or HBO Max. So frustrating. Seems like so much content is hard to get still.

So, since I bought HBO Max to watch Raised by Wolves (which is okay, but not great so far IMO), I’m wondering if anyone has other show recommendations available on this service. Thanks.
Well, if you haven't seen them, the HBO classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire and The Wire are excellent. Then there's Game of Thrones, which I found took most of the first season to get into but eventually did. Others can chime in with more.

They have all the HBO shows, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.

For HBO Max originals, they have The Flight Attendant, which has been mentioned here before.

I really like the international shows they have. I've watched Patria, will probably watch Gomorrah.

Right now I've started watching Person of Interest, which is going to be a long slog, 5 seasons, 100 episodes.

Woo. Servant S2 started back up on Apple TV. I’m not a big fan of psycho horror flicks but this ones got me hooked. I just found out the Apple subscriptions (TV and News) are shareable w/ 5 friends/family. SIL got free Apple TV with purchase of new iPhone.

I liked the sound of this show based on your synopsis. But I couldn’t find it for free on Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, or HBO Max. So frustrating. Seems like so much content is hard to get still.
I have Dish Network and get SyFy through that as well as my Roku which requires my Dish credentials to get access to the SyFy shows.

Wow, I finally broke down and purchased HBO max so I could watch Raised by Wolves. After the first 2 episodes I’m not so sure. It’s well made. But the story is bizarre so far and I’m not caring for the overt faith/atheism war aspect.

I’ll give it a bit more of a chance. I do love good sci-fi and have loved Ridley Scott stuff. Just a bit of a shock to the system so far.

We subscribed to watch Wonder Woman (glad I didn't pay to see it in a movie theatre).
Game of Thrones was long but quite a story and I like that genre of stories.

Then watched DUNE (I was more impressed long ago when young).

We watched Raised by Wolves, it was a bit bizarre and different.

Maybe because we watch 3-4 hours every night (nothing else to do with Covid) I'm finding we are saturated with shows, so it's harder to be impressed :confused:

All Creatures Great and Small, a UK series that comes on PBS Sunday evenings. It's a low drama, feel good type period show about a young veterinarian who takes a job in a rural area. I also watch Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist that involves a young woman who can hear people express their feelings through songs.

I have Dish Network and get SyFy through that as well as my Roku which requires my Dish credentials to get access to the SyFy shows.

when you say dish credentials what do you mean exactly? you use your user name and password from dish?

This looks like it might be interesting:

https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:GYBNQtQFalIcyvgEAAAAs:type:series

If it’s cold and snowy where you are, and you want to steer into the skid, try this six-episode thriller, set at a research outpost in Antarctica. The 10 people who are sticking around for the dark winter all have some kind of secret, and the show unfolds less as “The Thing” (though there is some of that) and more as a frigid murder mystery: One of the people in this room is the killer!

Last edited:

If it’s cold and snowy where you are, and you want to steer into the skid, try this six-episode thriller, set at a research outpost in Antarctica. The 10 people who are sticking around for the dark winter all have some kind of secret, and the show unfolds less as “The Thing” (though there is some of that) and more as a frigid murder mystery: One of the people in this room is the killer!

I’ll try it. Does look like it has potential. Thanks.

We are cycling through the various streaming services one at a time.
I am enjoying doing this as each seems to have shows I'd like to see, but none have enough that I'm keeping a subscription.
I'll probably go back to netflix just as we need something to watch.

Did CBS for 2 months (1 was free)
Doing HBOmax at 1/2 price for 3 months. (rebate from Amex credit card).

Next will be Disney (everyone gets 1 free week, will keep it for a month or two or longer if we find lots to watch).

ETA: meant to quote a recommendation post from a while back from PB4USKI. Just forgot. Oops.

After finishing Line of Duty, we watched all of DCI Banks and Endeavor. Liked them quite a lot, but still think Line of Duty is the best of the bunch.

Based on yours (and others) recommendation I'm watching Line of Duty. I'm up to Season 2, Ep 4. Wow. It's interesting to see how the Brits keep checks and balances on their police compared to the USA.

The plots are dense and complex. The acting is superb. A subtle facial expression can convey tons of feeling. I think they pick actors based on their ability of faces to project feelings and moods.

This show makes the police procedures on US network TV seem amateurish by comparison. I feel embarrassed by the repetitive expositional dialogue the writers give characters on US police shows, almost insulting the audience by assuming they don't know what is going on and the plot needs to be summarized every 15 minutes. Not so with Line of Duty. You better watch closely.

Can you tell me the title of the show? Your link doesn't work in Canada, but I do have HBO+ via a provider here... Thank you!

I thought Raised by Wolves was excellent, so I don't know if you find my fave shows interesting but they all seem to have very good ratings, so you might like them.

The Leftovers - One of the main creators of the TV show Lost (which I loved) was heavily involved in this, so it has a very similar feel to it. Loved it.

Big Little Lies - maybe this is a chic TV show, but it's with a star-studded cast (Nicole Kidman, Reese Weatherspoon, Laura Dern, Alexander Skarsgård and Meryl Streep joins in Season 3) and it did not disappoint! It involves a lie, murder, and some mystery...

The Outsider - I'm not a Steven King fan, but I decided to watch this because Jason Bateman (Ozark) was in it. It pulled me right in from the get-go. Very well done IMO. Supernatural.

Westworld - Sci-fi It takes place in a futuristic Western-themed amusement park, Westworld. Ed Harris (Abyss) is in it. I only recommend Season 1 though...

Sharp Objects - I decided to watch this because I like Amy Adams. It's a murder mystery.

when you say dish credentials what do you mean exactly? you use your user name and password from dish?
Yes, after I install the SyFy app on my Roku, when I first want to watch a show, it asks me to go online to input an authorization code. When I go online, it asks me what provider I have and then it asks for my provider in this case Dish sign in credentials. That way it knows i have SyFy through Dish and therefore can access the app on Roku for free. It's a common approach to verify you have a cable or satellite dish provider. Normally you go through this procedure once.

Extraordinary Homes on Netflix. A BBC documentary of amazing homes in various countries and how they overcome ambiant weather conditions. Norway was particularly challenging.

Line of Duty on Amazon Prime. I’ve just started season 3 of 4 Seasons. Really well acted crime drama.

I'm watching a couple of older series on Starz. Damages with Glenn Close and Boss with Kelsey Grammer. Both are very good.

Well, if you haven't seen them, the HBO classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire and The Wire are excellent. Then there's Game of Thrones, which I found took most of the first season to get into but eventually did. Others can chime in with more.

Boardwalk Empire and especially The Wire were excellent. GOT's problem, for us, was it became waaaaay to complicated, too many characters, too many sub-plots and too long between seasons. we gave up after season 1.

Back
Top Bottom