What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just finished Who Killed Sara on Netflix. 6 part movie.

Also started Discovering Italy by Stanley Tucci on CNN streaming.

Discovering Italy is on my to watch list. Stanley Tucci played Julia Childs husband in Julia and Julia.

We are hooked on The Discovery of Witches. Just finishing up season 2 out of 3. Amazing scenery and costumes. Just really well done overall.

Showtime's "City on a Hill" is back with Kevin Bacon starring and directing. It's been so long since I finished the first season (2019) that I went back and watched that season finale before watching episode 1 of the new season. Probably should have watched one or two more episodes as there's a lot going on that carries over into the new season. It's a gritty cop drama set in Boston in the early 1990's. Bacon plays an unsavory antihero FBI agent who is well past his prime but fighting the changes to how the good old boys of law enforcement did things. Lots of good acting among the many supporting characters. Reminds me of "The Wire" somewhat.

New to us...... Recently started Discovery of Witches S2 and COBRA. Watched last month; Death in Paradise S10, queens of Mystery, The Stand, The Order, The Watch, Westworld, Outpost and Pandora.

Just started The Simple Heist...thus far, thus good:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2313384/

Jenny Bengtsson is a teacher living in Kalmar, Sweden, struggling to stay afloat during her divorce. Her best friend, Doctor Cecilia Stensson, has financial problems after failed investments in the stock market. Every day they're forced to take crap from students, parents, patients and bosses who all expect them to give more than they're able to. They're tired of women always being the ones stuck between family and career and constantly having to struggle to make ends meet. When they both realize that the future is anything other than bright, they decide to do something drastic, insane actually - to rob the main branch of the Stockholm Bank.

Not a series, but just watched Unhinged with Russel Crowe on Amazon Prime. It was about a guy with serious road rage. You’ll never honk your horn again. Lol
WOW it was intense.

Been a few days since any posts to this thread. I’m in desperate need of help. I’ve run out of shows I think I’d like to watch. Lots of great recommendations here have led to hours of entertainment for us. But now, our powder is dry.

Please suggest some things. I’ve got Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, and Hulu. Still, perusing the services doesn’t lead me to anything I know of to watch.

The last post was about Lupin. Is that really any good?

Thanks everybody!

How about the new Kate Winslet drama on HBO Max. Haven't watched it yet, but plan to.

Muirwannabe,

High octane TV series called Bodyguard (political action mystery thriller) my top show of 2025-2020. It's on Netflix.

Have you ever watched Fire Everywhere with Reese Witherapoon and Kerry Washington? It should be on Prime and Hulu. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently watching The Split Season 2 (Btitish drama with Nicola Walker) on Hulu.

Last edited:
Been a few days since any posts to this thread. I’m in desperate need of help. I’ve run out of shows I think I’d like to watch. Lots of great recommendations here have led to hours of entertainment for us. But now, our powder is dry.

Please suggest some things. I’ve got Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, and Hulu. Still, perusing the services doesn’t lead me to anything I know of to watch.

Thanks everybody!

It's kind of impossible to address this since we all have completely different tastes. Mine verge on weird and quirky. So here it goes: "Genera+ion" on HBO (messed up high school kids - if you like it "Euphoria" is also very good), "Everything's Gonna Be Okay" on Hulu (autistic high school kids), "Dave" on Hulu (very funny and smart show about aspiring rapper and his dysfunctional relationships), "The One" on Netflix (dystopian future where DNA matching can select your perfect mate), "Plebs" free on Tubi (horny youth in Ancient Rome - think "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" in togas).

I do watch Masterpiece theater too :)

Thanks everybody!

There are so many good things on PBS Masterpiece Theater. For $5 per month you can get access to the entire library (PBS Passport). I am watching the new Masterpiece show--Atlantic Crossing (about WWII and FDR and the Norwegian Crown Princess). You have probably already watched Downton Abbey but if not it is on Passport. My favorite PBS show is Call the Midwife about 1950s midwives in a poor section of London--it is on its 10th season, it is one of the most popular Masterpiece shows ever. Also recently Masterpiece had All Creatures Great and Small that I really liked. In fact I can't really think of any Masterpiece shows I disliked.

Ozark on Netflix. Family gets roped into laundering money for a Mexican drug cartel. 3 seasons.

Billions on Amazon prime. Hedge fund billionaire problems with authorities.

Animal Kingdom on Amazon prime. Interesting crime family drama. No real animals.

There are so many good things on PBS Masterpiece Theater. For $5 per month you can get access to the entire library (PBS Passport). I am watching the new Masterpiece show--Atlantic Crossing (about WWII and FDR and the Norwegian Crown Princess). You have probably already watched Downton Abbey but if not it is on Passport. My favorite PBS show is Call the Midwife about 1950s midwives in a poor section of London--it is on its 10th season, it is one of the most popular Masterpiece shows ever. Also recently Masterpiece had All Creatures Great and Small that I really liked. In fact I can't really think of any Masterpiece shows I disliked.

All this stuff is perfect for watching during Covid..you can stream a lot of stuff for free if you stay current with the weekly broadcasts.

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. Several I’ve already seen. Some I haven’t, like the PBS shows. Would like to watch the All Creatures... show. But can’t seem to talk myself into paying for public television.

Tonight, we started The One on Netflix. A few episodes in. Don’t hate it. Not yet sure if I like it. But it’s something to try out.

Again, thanks everybody

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. Several I’ve already seen. Some I haven’t, like the PBS shows. Would like to watch the All Creatures... show. But can’t seem to talk myself into paying for public television.

Tonight, we started The One on Netflix. A few episodes in. Don’t hate it. Not yet sure if I like it. But it’s something to try out.

Again, thanks everybody

The $5 per month for PBS is considered a charitable gift so would qualify for a tax deduction if you itemize. Well worth it for great programming with very little in the way of commercials.

Hemingway on PBS an interesting 3-part series. We learned some things we had not known. Enjoying Clarice too although the gaps in broadcasting are irritating.

Have you ever watched Fire Everywhere with Reese Witherapoon and Kerry Washington? It should be on Prime and Hulu. I highly recommend it.

It looks like it's called "Little Fires Everwhere" and is only on Hulu. It's on Prime but one must pay extra. Bummer. Haven't convinced myself that Hulu is worth paying for yet, given we have Prime, Netflix, and a pretty comprehensive DirecTV channel lineup.

It looks like it's called "Little Fires Everwhere" and is only on Hulu. It's on Prime but one must pay extra. Bummer. Haven't convinced myself that Hulu is worth paying for yet, given we have Prime, Netflix, and a pretty comprehensive DirecTV channel lineup.

Yeah, that's it! Little Fires Everywhere. You have to pay extra for this even with Prime? I watched it on Prime for free, but maybe because I'm in Canada...

Last edited:
You can't binge Mare of Easttown with Kate Winslett yet. It's going week by week and first episode was last night.

I believe there are 7 episodes total.

You can't binge Mare of Easttown with Kate Winslett yet. It's going week by week and first episode was last night.

I believe there are 7 episodes total.

Bummer. I was gonna try it out next, but hate waiting for weekly episodes. Guess I’ll just wait a while longer for it.

Thanks everybody!

We're in the same boat. Just finished The Crown, and haven't found a replacement. Heading into the final season of The Magicians, which has been far better than even I expected, and I really enjoyed the book. I think I'm going to force DW to sit through the first season of The Expanse, which is an excellent book series, because I've heard the show gets immensely better after season one. Other than that, we stuck with Resident Alien and it got pretty good by the end of the season. We've been watching The 4400, which is OK, but not great. I've got no idea what else to try. I guess I'll read back through this thread and see what I can find.

We're in the same boat. Just finished The Crown, and haven't found a replacement. Heading into the final season of The Magicians, which has been far better than even I expected, and I really enjoyed the book. I think I'm going to force DW to sit through the first season of The Expanse, which is an excellent book series, because I've heard the show gets immensely better after season one. Other than that, we stuck with Resident Alien and it got pretty good by the end of the season. We've been watching The 4400, which is OK, but not great. I've got no idea what else to try. I guess I'll read back through this thread and see what I can find.

Well, we just finished the first season of The One. Recommended a few posts back. It wasn’t fantastic IMO, but it was worth watching. Not bad.

Might take a look at the Magicians.

Back
Top Bottom