What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I have watched 3 great series in the last month (too much time at home). They are;

Keiler Street - Norwegian series where various people with shady pasts are given new identities but put together in the same street in a small town in Norway where there has not been a serious crime since the 1950s. You can imagine what starts to happen.

Stella Blomqvist - Icelandic series about a sassy young female lawyer who gets involved in politics and crime in Iceland with an interesting Chinese twist.

False Flag - 2 seasons. An Israeli series where supposed terrorist attacks are not really what they seem. I got really addicted to this series.

On Acorn: Blood. 2 seasons, 6 episodes each. Really good whodunnit story involving family secrets and lies. Clever twists that keep you guessing until it all comes together revealing the truth in the last episode of each season. Very binge-worthy. One of the stars is Adrian Dunbar from Line of Duty.

Just started season 4 of Beck...still enjoying it, especially 'Gunvald', (Mikael Persbrandt).

we gave up on that early on. too weird.

Mr Robot? I think season 2 was ok, but I still had hope it would make sense. Season 3 I realized it wasn’t gonna happen but I had to watch till the end just in case. It made me so mad I’ll never give another weird show much leeway before I bail.

I think Servant on Apple+ is starting to get weird too. Damn this show is creepy.

We just finished the six episode “Behind Her Eyes.” Phew! I can’t stop thinking about it today.

DW and I are enjoying Mad Men, and just started Season 3. Once we got to know the characters the episodes are really something we look forward to, although the free version on Amazon with commercials is annoying.

Mad men was my all time favorite series.

Just finished the first four episodes of Peaky Blinders season one. I’m hooked already.

Wandavision on Disney+ (we subbed for a free month just for it). If you're not into the MCU at all, it might not have much appeal. If you have to google MCU, even less. But it's fun and different and quick - 20 min episodes, 9 in the series, last airs today. The first three were cute but I wasn't that into it, then in ep4 you start to see what's really going on and it's a ride from there. If you have the time, and any appetite for comic books/superheros, and/or some old sitcom nostalgia, I highly recommend. You don't need to know the backstory of the characters or anything, that all gets filled in nicely.

And haven't watched yet but plan to, have heard lots of good things about Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy (CNN/Hulu/etc). Sounds like it's a great way to travel vicariously for now.

Halt and Catch Fire. It's not new, and it has been discussed here before. Took me a while to watch it because when it was on, w*rk ticked me off so much I knew this show would make me mad. (It would have!) I literally lived many, many scenes in this show. I Was There.

DW and I just finished and enjoyed it immensely. I think it is a must see for tech people, although you don't need to be tech to enjoy it as the real theme of the show is not "building a computer," but rather, "building a life in the context of a vocation."

I always joked that there were too many shows about lawyers, doctors and police. What about engineers? Boring... Well, HaCF manages to not make it boring. This is for a few reasons:
- Wonderful time-period sets. You will feel, smell and live 1983 and beyond.
- Great writing
- Music, both the annoyingly obscure, and cleverly placed popular
- Accurate tech. Sure, there's a few uses of poetic license, but mostly the tech lingo and methods are spot on.
- The melding of fiction and fact. Oh yeah, real company names and scenarios are used liberally, mostly as competitors. Watch with a Jolt Cola.
- And finally, incredibly strong characters that morph and change.

Techies will recognize these characters. I scrubbed names so you can figure them out for yourself:
- The Visionary. A pain the a$$ to most engineers, but necessary to push innovation. Slightly self destructive and sociopathic.
- The Standard Engineer. Get stuff done right. Spend too much time at work. Needs The Visionary for a kick in the a$$.
- The Business Engineer. Knows engineering inside and out, but leans to the business side. Potential to work in a venture capital firm.
- The Geek. Can code 10x faster than The Standard Engineer. Underappreciated, yet overconfident in their own ideas.
- The Manager. Spins tall tales with ease in order to keep the connections smooth. May take the wrong kind of risk, but ultimately, has a kind heart.

Toby Huss knocked The Manager role out of the park. What a fine actor, considering his goofy voice roles on King of the Hill. Here he is totally different and his character literally struggles with OMY syndrome, and what to do on the border of retirement. Early in my career, I was The Standard Engineer, yet I felt myself gravitating to Huss' character at the end.

Just a damn fine show.

Last edited:
yes, The Mandalorian is a series on the Disney streaming service. Season 3 is forthcoming but we'll never see it as we discontinued our subsscription.

It is very easy to sign up again. You can wait until all Season 3 episodes are available, sign up for one month, then cancel. That’s what I did between Season 1 and Season 2

The third season of Mr. Mercedes hit Peacock within the last couple of days. The series is a little weird but it keeps my interest. I wonder what that says about me? :blush:

Billions is now available on Amazon Prime Video..I haven’t watched it since I didn’t have Showtime.

On Hulu:

I watched the movie Nomadland. It was very sobering, and Frances McDormand gave a wrenching performance.

I came away feeling extremely grateful for the stability and peace of mind I have at this stage in my life.
Same here, I especially liked the final episode. I understand there will be a second season but it will be delayed.
DW and I had same reaction.
Yes, but her character was not unhappy with her life and in fact consciously chose it. That fact made her performance all the more riveting.

Last edited:
Just watched the pilot of New Tricks after seeing it mentioned here. I will probably continue to watch this one. Thanks to the person who mentioned it. And to everyone else's suggestions. I can't find time to watch them ALL and still get anything done during the day........oh, wait.......I'm retired. I can spend my time like I want to !!!!

Billions is now available on Amazon Prime Video..I haven’t watched it since I didn’t have Showtime.

I enjoyed the first season of Billions, but it became like a pissing contest between two immature men with money later on, so I stopped watching it. YMMV.

Not a new series, but just started over with Victoria. Absolutely a fave. Eye candy everywhere, mostly with the costuming. Just so well done. I can’t figure out why the series abruptly ends with Albert’s collapsing (and apparently sudden death) in a palace hallway... as if the queen’s life didn’t continue for years afterwards. Cliffhanger season endings I get, but to end a series that way? :confused: :(

yes, The Mandalorian is a series on the Disney streaming service. Season 3 is forthcoming but we'll never see it as we discontinued our subsscription.

Thanks for the correct name.
We will be cancelling Disney+ , but will start it up again, just to binge the Season 3 and other stuff over a 1 month period when it's done.

Back
Top Bottom