What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Enjoyed Queen's Gambit as well, but am really taken with Brassic. Something about good in bad circumstances. Joe Gilgun is the lead ne'er-do-well with spots of good - enjoyed him as Cassidy, the angel(?) in Preacher also.

Started "Harlots" British period drama about brothels in the UK. Quite entertaining, a little repetitive on the theme though. Good costumes. Not for the feint of heart, like most UK dramas.

My DB shares Hulu with us. I started scrolling through what they offer. Many FX, FXX, AMC series that I forgot to record are there. And, for example, Fargo is available the next day after original program. I was always fiddling around trying to figure out the first episode I missed or where the series was in sequence. I feel like I discovered a gold mine.

I looked at the older posts back to June and did not see where anyone suggested this series: "The Bridge" (or "Bron"). It's a Danish/Swedish co-production TV series that started in 2011.

I just finished watching Season One (10 episodes). It is NEW to me. And I guess it still qualifies as "new" because, after a hiatus of some years, a new season started this year of 2018.

I haven't seen Season 2 yet (I'm on hold for it at my local library). If you don't know Swedish or Danish, you need to follow along with the English sub-titles. But the show was so engrossing, the sub-titles didn't bother me one bit.

Please do not spoil it by reading about the plot anything beyond the first episode, because the plot is brilliant. So is the acting, writing, directing and production. (I don't know if Season 2 measures up to Season 1...yet.)

The series was so good that it has become an international franchise. "The Tunnel" is the British version. While waiting for Season 2, I am now watching the American version of "The Bridge"--and it is a poor distant cousin to the original. Especially the main actress. The original Saga is superb!

If you have not seen ANY of the international versions, and specifically not the original Danish/Swedish version, please check out Season 1.

Watched the first episode last night...loved it... As an extrapolation of the 'standard tension' between detectives who are polar opposites, these two are almost galactic opposites .

Neither of us found the subtitles intrusive.

Watched the first episode [of Bron] last night...loved it... As an extrapolation of the 'standard tension' between detectives who are polar opposites, these two are almost galactic opposites .

Neither of us found the subtitles intrusive.

Looks like something we would like, but curious as to how you watched it.

According to https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/the-bridge-2011 it's only available on Hoopla (for free, anyways).

My DB shares Hulu with us. I started scrolling through what they offer. Many FX, FXX, AMC series that I forgot to record are there. And, for example, Fargo is available the next day after original program. I was always fiddling around trying to figure out the first episode I missed or where the series was in sequence. I feel like I discovered a gold mine.

Hulu's signature show is Handmaid's Tale, which can be a difficult watch.

But it started out brilliantly.

Normal People was also well-received. Pen 15, brilliant but can also be tough to watch.

Ramy is also critically acclaimed.

But I like the first set of originals, Casual and Difficult People.

Saint Frances, a feel-good movie about a baby-sitter, and the charming young girl she is responsible for. Plus her love life.

Also watched Greenland. Not much plot.

I hope this isn't just in Canada. Alex Rider on Amazon Prime by Amazon Prime. Really good and entertaining.

If your looking for a funny, lighthearted type of movie, check out Never kiss a Guy in an Ugly Christmas Sweater.
I know, not the best of names, but we really enjoyed it.

The Queen’s Gambit is on my list to check out. Looking forward to it even more now.

Schitt’s Creek on Netflix. Makes me [emoji23] and feel much better about raising our kids.

I tried it on a rec from here, I believe and almost couldn't get through the first episode. The mother and her screaming was so annoying and another "rich people lose their money" plot didn't seem to promising. But I'm glad I stuck with it as it got much better. I like that they're only 30 minute episodes too, perfect when I want to kill a little time. The mother is still annoying, and yes I realize that's how the role is written.

Last Tango in Halifax. Netflix
2012-2103 BBC Series follows the lives Widows who reconnect 40 years after a brief high school romance.

The latest season of The Crown. I like it much better than the original.
Catch and Release
+++ on The Crown. Wow, what secrets revealed! I'm going to watch Iron Lady with Meryl Streep and compare The Crowns Thatcher. I think Gillian Anderson is too thin.

+++ on The Crown. Wow, what secrets revealed! I'm going to watch Iron Lady with Meryl Streep and compare The Crowns Thatcher. I think Gillian Anderson is too thin.

I'm only one episode in but I thought her Thatcher was odd. Far too stiff, and felt like she was playing her older than she was. She was 54 when she became PM, she was 1 year older than the Queen but in the portrayal of their first meeting she comes off far older.

I'll watch it again, but Streep's portrayal is winning so far.

Just finished (so far) Money Heist on Netflix. That would. Be in my top 5 of all series ever. Looking forward to Season 5.

Last night we finished TURN on Netflix, very well done and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of backstories to our revolution.

Just finished (so far) Money Heist on Netflix. That would. Be in my top 5 of all series ever. Looking forward to Season 5.
+1 This series is like a roller coaster from the first minute. Intelligent and fast moving. The characters are intense.

Started watching season two of The Bridge.....Saga is great as usual.

Pet(ty) peeve: Radio operator in subtitles.."Over and Out"...aaargh.

Back
Top Bottom