What's the latest on inexpensive cell phone plans?

As far as I am aware, all iPhone 5g sold in the USA have dual band capability (GSM as well as CDMA) built in. In Europe, there are GSM-only versions because they don't use the CDMA technology at all. However, I don't know of any CDMA-only version. So, you should not need another phone! If your phone has a SIM slot, then it will accept any European GSM SIM.
Of course, you will want to back up your phone before you travel overseas (if nothing else, you could lose it!), but using a GSM SIM does not have anything to do with backups. Just install the SIM and re-boot the phone.

It's worth a try! The phone definitely has a SIM slot- I needed it when I switched from Verizon to Ting. My next adventure is Iceland, and if swapping out the SIM card doesn't work, it would probably be a good place to buy an international phone.

I use Tracfone. $100/yr plus the phone which cost me $100 and has lasted 3 years and still going strong. I have put an extra $20 in a couple times but that's still no more than $10/mo average. This won't work if you are a big talker but it's an easy way to save for me. No reason at all for me to pay $40+ for a monthly plan somewhere.

I use Tracfone. $100/yr plus the phone which cost me $100 and has lasted 3 years and still going strong. I have put an extra $20 in a couple times but that's still no more than $10/mo average. This won't work if you are a big talker but it's an easy way to save for me. No reason at all for me to pay $40+ for a monthly plan somewhere.
I use Tracfone as well. Bought a Motorola Moto E for $20 about a year ago. Got the Tracfone plan for 1,200 talk minutes, texts and data for $100 a year and so far it's working great. I have lots of minutes left since most of the time I'm at @ WiFi area and use that for calls text and data. Next year might be cheaper since the minutes roll over and I can buy another year (with no minutes) for less than $50. It does not work overseas though. So not an option for frequent travelers. Very happy switching from my $130/mo AT&T plan to $8.33/mo.

As an aside, for those that want to spend zero monthly $ and have access to WiFi most of the time, the Moto E works just fine with WiFi enabled and zero monthly costs by using a Google voice number. Of course, no phone on the road or non WiFi areas but I'm old enough to remember that the world continued to spin just fine when all we had were land lines and the cord wouldn't reach very far...

I have the same plane as Nightcap. Another thing about AT&t, they roll over unused data each month. As I use little data, I normally have about 5 gig to play with.

It's worth a try! The phone definitely has a SIM slot- I needed it when I switched from Verizon to Ting. My next adventure is Iceland, and if swapping out the SIM card doesn't work, it would probably be a good place to buy an international phone.
You don't need an "international phone." Any GSM phone will work fine. I do not want to mess with my regular phone and the information on it, so we have been carrying an old Nexus 1 to take the purchased SIM cards. Even the newer Nexus 4 is around fifty bucks on eBay or your local CraigsList so it's a cheap option.

If you travel a lot as we do, Project Fi is a pretty good deal IMO. 135 countries with no screwing with SIM cards, no uncertainty with having service, and in our case we will both have our phones so we can call each other if necessary. We just switched and have not actually tried it outside the US but all the reviews are very favorable.

I actually used my iPhone 5s last month in England as is, no swapping out SIM card, same US number. I used Verizon's $10 a day travel plan (yeah, I know, but only charged if you use it) that works with your Verizon plan for data or phone limits. It worked great. Will see if my new iPhone 7 will work as well in Germany next month.

You know, I just realized I used this phone in Iceland in 2015. I had a Verizon plan then and just paid the extra to have International roaming while I was there. I'm taking my info from Ting's site and it may be faulty. I'm definitely going to head to Iceland with this phone and try a local SIM card. If it fails and I have to live with Wi-Fi only (or buy another phone) I'll survive.

I'm happy with Ting. It meets my needs at under $30 a month. I'm a moderate user of data and my friends are text message addicts.

I did a search, but the newest threads I could find are a few years old at least.
I have a couple of ideas.
First of all, let me explain that DW and I have Verizon Wireless, Unlimited Data plans, and we are now up to $220/ month. I really don't think we need to have unlimited plans.

We ditched the land lines, but frankly, with "bundling" plans from the internet providers, they just about give the phone service away, so we're really not saving much there.

We have iPhones, and we text and send photos occasionally. I wouldn't want to give up texting, but could live without the photos if it saves a bunch of money. The idea that I'm spending over 2600 bucks a year for our phones makes me want to barf.
We have a family share plan with Verizon Wireless. It may be 10GB data shared, or similar. The cost per month, without any charges for phones, is $130.79 for 3 lines. That includes a corporate discount on the first line.

When we lose that discount, it will probably be time to switch plan and get new phones, maybe. Still using iphone 4S.

Another satisfied Googlefi user. We pay about $50 a month for two phones with 1 gig of data each. Rarely go over that but if we need more data it is automatically added in 1 gig increments and you get rebated for what you don't use. If you travel it is good because it just works wherever you go usually. No goofing around with sim cards or anything.

I'll admit the service isn't the best coverage wise but for the most part we use WiFi and have coverage wherever we need it.

Another vote for GoogleFi ($27 a month). yes I bought the phone but coverage is superb for me, DH used his internationally with no issues before I got mine.

afaic, it's the best way to android. And the google sync up is v nice.

I did a search, but the newest threads I could find are a few years old at least.
I have a couple of ideas.
First of all, let me explain that DW and I have Verizon Wireless, Unlimited Data plans, and we are now up to $220/ month. I really don't think we need to have unlimited plans.

We ditched the land lines, but frankly, with "bundling" plans from the internet providers, they just about give the phone service away, so we're really not saving much there.

We have iPhones, and we text and send photos occasionally. I wouldn't want to give up texting, but could live without the photos if it saves a bunch of money. The idea that I'm spending over 2600 bucks a year for our phones makes me want to barf.
2600 a year, thats more than my yearly car budget

I read about Cricket on this forum and told my DD and her DH. They switched from AT&T and my DH is on their plan. He pays $30.00 per month for his iPhone. I use a Tracfone and paid $75.00 for a year. I keep it for emergencies and have had it for several years. I have over 4000 minutes on it, since I seldom use it. I usually use my DH's iphone for texting or taking pictures.

We're a ting household. I have it set up to clamp down on the kids' data when they hit 2.5G... One son hits it about 3 days before the end of the month... the other either hits it within 5 days of the billing cycle... or doesn't run out... (He turns off wifi at school because school wifi won't let him get to youtube - and forgets to turn it back on when home.) I think 2.5 gig is PLENTY for a month - even for a teenager... so I just put up with the whining.

4 smart phones, about 5.5-6G of data used each month (total)... plus texts and calls... about $120-$130/month. (all in, taxes, fees, etc.)

We were paying that much for 1 smart phone and 1 feature phone with Verizon... with a corporate discount... 4 years ago.

We bought our own phones... 3 moto G4's, 1 moto g4 play. We can swap out sims if we travel, with no issue... the phones are agnostic and cover both cdma and GSM.

I've looked at and considered t-mobile for the world travel... but haven't botherd... that darn inertia.

I have a half dozen phones or sim chips on Freedompop. Works okay for what we use it for (rarely voice, mostly data and not a lot of that). Cost: $0/month. Well, my daughter did give her phone to an untrustworthy step-cousin in-law and this cousin upgraded her free texting to multimedia MMS texting for $1.99/month (since downgraded). Otherwise free :)

We get 200 to 500 free minutes in the US plus 100 free minutes to overseas numbers (With limits on what kind of phone). 500 free US texts. 600 to 900 MB data. On the two SIM chips I have, they are "global" which comes with free roaming in 25 countries around the world (almost all of Europe for example).

It's not for those looking for a super easy solution for cheap cell service but it works for me. Bring your own phone or buy one from them. I'd suggest googling around for more info on them and a "how to" guide to get truly free service from them.

The underlying service runs on T-mobile/AT&T (the SIM service) or Sprint (the CDMA phones). T-mobile/ATT network is much broader and seems to have generally better signals but there are some places where Sprint is better (middle of the local nature preserve, for example). Huge YMMV there.

I use a google voice number for all communications so calls and texts are essentially unlimited via google hangouts (subject to data constraints of course).

I've offered to let my 12 year old pay for any upgrades to service she deems essential. So far she is happy with the free plan. :) She has fast wifi at school, knows not to stream on netflix while on 4G data, and gets back on wifi at home. At friends' houses she jumps on their wifi. She's not glued to her phone so it works perfectly for us at this stage of life. And she can do cute things like message me the pair of wireless headphones she's been shopping for during a lull in the action in third period at school.

Last edited:
We upgraded our mobile phones in December and have been very happy with them. DW has a Lenovo/Motorola G4 and I have a G4 Play. Basically the same phone but one is 5 1/2" and the other is 5". I prefer the slightly smaller size. Each are ~$150 but shop around.

We each have an unlimited calls/unlimited text and 1GB data plan from airvoice wireless (a MVNO that uses the AT&T network) for $30/month.. so $60/month for the two of us.

I use Republic Wireless. Been with them for years. I have this main phone plus a second line (wifi only) for less than $35 a month. I stay home and mostly am on wifi so it works excellently for me. I can still do whatever I want (twitter, text, some games) when I'm out and never go above my data limit. The only time we went over the limit is when we moved across the country and used Maps a lot. I had to pay to bump my limit twice. Not a big deal.

If you do a search on best unlimited mobile plans (I just did this a couple days ago) you'll see an article listing a number of providers that aren't the top ones. It's a good comparison of other providers with unlimited service. Surely you can get one cheaper than the one you have. Good luck 🍀 !

I'm on T-mobile pay as you go. They raised the price to $3 per month with 30 minutes/texts (no data). pay for each over. I spend about $10 a month on calls and texts. Use wifi everywhere I go, so iMessages are free.

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

Me too, i got my phone on ebay for a bout 9 bucks, threw a $100 dollars on it for 1000 minutes. Every year i slap a few dollars on the account ($10-20), and the minutes roll over for another year. The cell phone isnt a line item on my imaginary monthly budget. i tell every one my phone costs a buck and a half a month. Some people think i mean $150. :LOL:

We have Consumer Cellular with an AARP discount. Our last bill was $33 for 2 lines, 250 talk, unlimited texts and 500MB data.

SIMcard.com, $20 a month promotion for unlimited everything and first 10gb data at LTE speeds, have to pay in 3, 6 or 12 month blocks

Attachments

• simcard.PNG
    simcard.PNG
    456.3 KB · Views: 15
I think the OP was particularly interested in plans that can be used with iPhones. I can be of no help with that, I'm afraid. I have a first generation Moto G which I use with Republic Wireless. Unlimited texting and voice calling, and data only when on Wi-Fi. It costs me a glorious $12/month including all taxes and fees.

My SO, who has a definite need to control her expenses, is convinced that she has to have a data plan. She also likes going with mainstream providers and doesn't like to shop around or consider "off-the-beaten-track" alternatives. As a result, her bill is many times what mine is (probably 7 or 8 times). Oh well, that's what she pays for the "luxury" of being able to check Facebook while on the train to and from work.

Me - I prefer my $12/month bill.

We have Consumer Cellular with an AARP discount. Our last bill was $33 for 2 lines, 250 talk, unlimited texts and 500MB data.

Wow!

I stand corrected. I've been faithfully holding on to my AT&T service, confident that no one can beat the price and features by any significant amount.

I was wrong. Consumer Cellular beats AT&T, and uses the same towers.

I've just signed up for service. They're sending out SIM cards for me and the Unindicted Co-Conspirator.

You folks just saved me $450 per year! :clap:

Wow!

I stand corrected. I've been faithfully holding on to my AT&T service, confident that no one can beat the price and features by any significant amount.

I was wrong. Consumer Cellular beats AT&T, and uses the same towers.

I've just signed up for service. They're sending out SIM cards for me and the Unindicted Co-Conspirator.

You folks just saved me $450 per year! :clap:

I hope you like the service and the savings. The only gotcha we've encountered so far is if we go over the plan limits one month, like when we are traveling and using more data or talk minutes, the plan automatically adjust upwards but not downwards the next month. So then I have to login online and reset our plan back to the lowest data usage plan every time it adjust upwards.

Back
Top Bottom