Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
And at that rate, it will barely budge the COVID rates. :mad:
If you mean cases, yes. If you mean deaths, I think those most at risk of that are going to be more likely to get it & those will still drop a good amount.

It could say something about the area, too. I swear every tradesman who comes to our house (and there have been quite a few) knows a nurse who thinks "this COVID thing is overblown" and doesn't want the vaccine.

Our county's COVID count exploded after Thanksgiving, so perhaps there will be some changes of heart.

When half of the medical staff are refusing a vaccine that says something. We're not talking about a small percentage of anti-vaccers.

Anyone know the policy for someone that has tested positive for COVID getting the vaccine? I don't remember reading anything about that situation. I know for the shingles vaccine you are supposed to wait a certain period of time after you have contracted shingles.

For people that had COVID, we were told you need to be at least 14 days from symptom onset to get the vaccine and out of quarantine, so it's not that long of a delay.

I work at a health care facility, and there are quite a few people there that don't want the vaccine, yet. I don't know the percentage. There are physicians, administrative staff, and others who are getting it. As they become educated, I expect more to get it. I feel very fortunate as a non-clinical health care worker who isn't exposed to patients and working from home 4 days per week to have gotten the first dose of Moderna last week (only mild soreness at the injection site for a couple days or so) and jumped at the chance when it was offered.

Last edited:
Apparently a large number of medical workers at Doctor’s Renaissance Hospital here in the Valley refused the vaccine leading to a surplus which shocked the heck out of us.

Don’t know about that place, but a relative works at a hospital where a fair number of folks working there have had COVID. They are opting to skip the vaccine and let others have the doses since they are very unlikely to get it again.

I work at a health care facility, and there are quite a few people there that don't want the vaccine, yet. I don't know the percentage. There are physicians, administrative staff, and others who are getting it. As they become educated, I expect more to get it......

I know it's only anecdotal, but did any express to you why they didn't want the vaccine ?

I know it's only anecdotal, but did any express to you why they didn't want the vaccine ?

I got the info from an infection control nurse who is tracking distribution, but I don't think they ask why someone doesn't want it. From my limited discussion in my own dept., two people who didn't want it either have allergies and carry an EPIpen, or on medication and said their doctor advised against having the vaccination (although I'm skeptical of that). One guy who I know well in my dept. who I asked about it wouldn't really give me a reason and was mostly just silent when I was recommending he get it. He just doesn't seem concerned about it. He's not exactly a model of fitness, nor is his family at home, so I don't get it. But, I know even less about all the others who don't want it.

My niece, who works in a hospital, struggled with the decision about whether to get the vaccine or not. I encouraged her to get it, but she ended up waffling long enough that she missed her opportunity.

Her reason was not knowing the long term effects combined with not knowing if it actually would reduce her ability to transmit it to others.

Hoping she changes her mind when she gets her next opportunity.

I'm glad someone is using it at least vs. rotting.
Well of course!

One of the issues was that DHR got also the same amount of vaccine as a much larger hospital in Houston, so it was definitely not balanced.

Another larger regional hospital a couple hours from our hospital just got their first vaccine shipment and administered to front line health care workers today, two weeks behind our hospital. I know they prioritized shipping in my state first to counties with a higher percentage of COVID infections.

Well of course!

One of the issues was that DHR got also the same amount of vaccine as a much larger hospital in Houston, so it was definitely not balanced.
Well they can't deliver less than a full lot which for P-BT is 975 doses. So if your hospital received one 975 lot & used them, that the larger hospital got same amount vs. more is not a problem. They'll get more in the long run.

For me a lot depends on what I'll be doing, where I'll be going. Will the hotel feel like a hospital still or will the destination thing be limited in whatever I'm going there for? If it's a road trip for national parks and camping, you can do that now.

If you want to go stay at a fancy all-inclusive and use their spa and all the amenities, they might not all be open. Stuff like that.

No, nothing fancy, just mid-priced (HI Express or similar) hotel rooms each night, as I drive around the country seeing sites. I will of course make sure everything I want to see is open before I go.

I have cabin fever pretty bad, and I am tired of putting off trips like this. DW will be mad at me, but she will get over it.

This is no surprise, but for those who haven't heard...

"A Colorado man has the variant of the coronavirus from the United Kingdom that health officials say is more transmissable than other strains of the virus, "

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

I wonder how it was discovered that this strain is more transmissible? The strain was first identified in the UK. In the UK did they discover this strain was more transmissible by contact tracing? Did they find that each person infected with this strain infected more people than other strains? If a person with this strain talks or sneezes or coughs do the droplets carry more virus? Can this strain penetrate masks more easily?

The VA near ft hood now vaccinating over 80s per my friend. HER friend got an email to bring husband ASAP and he got his shot. Unsure if he has underlying conditions but the shots are indeed coming. Im listening out for VA in NC for octegenarian DF and VA in central TX for younger. Please give a holler if you hear of these.

It could say something about the area, too. I swear every tradesman who comes to our house (and there have been quite a few) knows a nurse who thinks "this COVID thing is overblown" and doesn't want the vaccine.

Our county's COVID count exploded after Thanksgiving, so perhaps there will be some changes of heart.

Which county is this?

The plan was to have 20M vaccinated by the end of the year, only 2M have been vaccinated so far. Sounds like operation warp speed needs an engine overhaul.

The plan was to have 20M vaccinated by the end of the year, only 2M have been vaccinated so far. Sounds like operation warp speed needs an engine overhaul.

"I've got nae power, Captain" -- Scotty

Some people are never happy:dance: We have two workable vaccines, and things are moving along pretty well. In fact it's amazing to me that we have come this far. Maybe you have a better plan?

A local hospital is under scrutiny because they gave a bunch of vaccines to local PD. Police are in the 1B group, not 1A... But it turns out the vaccine was going to expire and they figured getting it in arms, vs letting it expire, was the way to go. (If that's true, I agree completely with the decision.)

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/san-diego-news/300-sdpd-officers-fire-rescue-workers-get-vaccine-ahead-of-their-scheduled-turn

It's going to take a while to get the machine running smoothly, the scale is just mammoth.

A local hospital is under scrutiny because they gave a bunch of vaccines to local PD. Police are in the 1B group, not 1A... But it turns out the vaccine was going to expire and they figured getting it in arms, vs letting it expire, was the way to go. (If that's true, I agree completely with the decision.)

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/san-diego-news/300-sdpd-officers-fire-rescue-workers-get-vaccine-ahead-of-their-scheduled-turn
Exactly what should be happening. I'm glad some people are smart enough to figure this issue out.

Early on I said they should invite 2x the people they have enough vaccine for to be sure none is wasted.

If you're referring to the CDC number, a) it's 1+ days behind in reporting (Right now its list is 38 hours behind current.), and b) agencies giving the shots are behind in reporting to the CDC. I mean why is reporting to CDC nearly as important as distributing vaccine & giving shots? Net, the number of people given shots is way higher than the CDC number shown.

Some people are never happy:dance: We have two workable vaccines, and things are moving along pretty well. In fact it's amazing to me that we have come this far. Maybe you have a better plan?
:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom