Dental cleaning appt in July - WWYD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't do it
I have gone to a recent eye exam but felt much less vulnerable as we all had masks on.
At the dentist however you are sitting there with your mouth and nose wide open and exposed.

Postponed DW's and my cleanings till October today. If it is still bad by then we will go regardless. I could not stand any longer without cleaning. Till then, Floss, floss and Brush more than usual. We each examined our teeth and they are not visually poor, so risk it we will.

Had to go twice (a month or so ago) to replace a crown that was mysteriously absent one morning when I woke up. They're doing a good job with precautions, which they've outlined on their website - arrive, park and call them to tell them you're there. They call you back when it's time. You must wear a mask. In the waiting area they had me slip on booties, took my temperature, asked a few questions. All of the office staff are separated from patients by plexiglass dividers. After a few minutes they had me wash my hands for 20 seconds then off to the room. Had me keep my mask on till the last minute then had me put it back on as soon as they were done. A handful of hand sanitizer and they opened the door for me to leave.

Going in on Wednesday this week for regular cleaning and checkup. Same procedure will be in place.

Cheers.

Well, it looks like I'm not going in to the dentist on Wednesday after all. They contacted me today to let me know that they had a patient last week who tested positive. So they're closing the office until all of the office staff is tested. So far everybody, except for the dentist himself, have tested negative. The dentist is still waiting.

Our dental office closed up shop for two months and would only respond to dental emergencies.

Patients were asked to postpone checkups and cleaning more several months.

We have very regular dental checkups. We see no harm in moving our checkups forward by 3 or 4 months. Currently patients wait in their vehicles rather than the waiting room. They get a call or a text when the chair is available.

We see no reason to take a chance when there is really no downside risk for us in doing so.

DW and I went yesterday to our rescheduled appointment from early June. Both exams were done and we were given a thumbs up.

I had a cleaning two days ago. For various reasons it was my first cleaning in 18 months. About 2 days before the cleaning I started having second doubts. If it had not been so long since my last cleaning I would have postponed. Several precautions were in practice at the office and I felt comfortable.

I am in Florida and our county has community transmission. I am taking my temperature and using an oximeter twice a day for the next several days.

Both DW and I had our cleanings this week, and unfortunately DW needs to go back Monday for a crown replacement. Who knows, if you put it off, the virus could still be around later this year, so where do you draw the line on delaying hoping the virus will disappear.

I have a cleaning scheduled for July 27 - "Wear a mask" they said......I'm afraid to ask how they're going to access the teeth.

Earlier this week I called my dentist to postpone my 7/10 appt. they said no problem- we’ll put you down for 9/11. Not sure I’ll like going on that date either.

Earlier this week I called my dentist to postpone my 7/10 appt. they said no problem- we’ll put you down for 9/11. Not sure I’ll like going on that date either.

Concerned about a plane crashing into your teeth:D

We've both been to the dentist & I've been to an eye exam, mine long overdue. I knew the script had changed way more than what I had last year left unfilled.

Neither of us felt uncomfortable where we've gone, and we both wore masks as did the staff.

I'm giving blood Thur & have a Dr. appt. the next day. In all of our cases the need outweighed anything else, and we'd asked probing questions of the process before booking. If you give blood in Houston they will run a test for covid19 immunity for free- you get the results in about a week.

Today, I had my second bad experience with our Dollar Tree... All patrons wearing masks but the staff mostly had the mask under their nose. My clerk was sneezing & sniffling while the manager stood nearby talking with another employee. I was glad for the plastic shield they had up. I won't be going there anymore for anything.

It's hard to know what to do, so we're winging it somewhat. We'll still get take out, but you couldn't convince me to sit in main room. At least Harris County has a mask order on again. I can't imagine what a strain it is putting the staff who must enforce the mask order. Them's fightin' words in the south.

I went to the dentist this week. I think my appointment was originally in April. I was nervous but they had made appropriate measures for safety.

I was scheduled for my cleaning on March 16 and 3 hours before the scheduled appointment, the dental office called to cancel my appointment due to Covid. They were closing the practice except for emergencies and pain relief as most all dental offices were doing.

I finally got my cleaning last week with full protection protocols and I was the only patient in the place. I will be returning next week for a 20 minute quick filling for a tiny cavity they found starting which makes me wonder if missing my last cleaning and the 4 month delay had an impact on that. At least they caught it early. I am also in the Atlanta area, actually Gwinnett county which is the most effected county in the state. I try to keep my wits about me and not take unnecessary risks but do not live the life of a hermit. Like all of my friends, I don't know anybody who is infected but they have to be here somewhere.

Both DW and I had our cleanings this week, and unfortunately DW needs to go back Monday for a crown replacement. Who knows, if you put it off, the virus could still be around later this year, so where do you draw the line on delaying hoping the virus will disappear.
Yup! DWs second TKR was scheduled for very early April, was postponed when elective surgeries were halted state-wide. We decided that as soon as they were turned back on, to get it done for that reason! When elective was turned back on, she moved up in the schedule with her surgeon due to dropouts. Got it done second week of May. With the earlier halt on surgeries, the Physical Therapy place was near empty, they were glad to have some business, followed all the proper procedures. Glad it's done and didn't wait. The delayers may find it's even worse later, or just not possible to do at all. And a few weeks ago elective surgeries were put on hold once again, in the top population counties. I expect that halt will be widened to more counties, or all counties in our state, as the situation gets worse.

I just moved my next one to first appointment of the day thinking that no residual germs be hanging about (they are closed Fri-Sun). It seemed like the best I could do. Office sounded like they not very busy so I do not think many are going right now. My city is quite full of the virus and I may chicken out by Sept.

Last edited:
Dentist yesterday and barber today - I feel like I’m coming out of hibernation! The dentist was fine; hand pick cleaning instead of water jet - I felt like I was a kid again!

I had a cleaning this month. I had to wait in the car. The hygienist wore a mask and face shield. I was led out the back after.

I started Invisalign back in March, just before the shutdown, and had to wear the same old starter trays until the office could see me again in June! Have to go back next week to have the crowded teeth filed down some more (this is how Invisalign avoids extraction - using a diamond file to shave down the sides of neighboring teeth).

Hoping the office won't get closed down again before I need to return.

The good thing is that due to the trays, I have to brush and floss at least 5 times a day - every time I put any food or non-water into my mouth - which resulted in a thumbs-up at my cleaning last month.

Oh, and the dentist wears a mask/shield thing that almost looks like a gas mask. He sounds like he's talking inside a barrel. I don't blame him - staring into open mouths all day!

Last edited:
I had my regular 6 month dental appointment today. Told to wait in car until my precise appointment time to enter. Had to pass a temperature check and COVID questionnaire and sign a liability waiver before allowed to enter, then required to use hand sanitizer before being led directly to the exam room. Nobody in the waiting room, everyone wearing masks (required in this community).

The actual exam/cleaning wasn't much different than normal. I did the peroxide swishy thing mentioned previously The hygienist wore a face shield in addition to her usual mask and gloves. The dentist just wore mask and gloves, no shield, but he wasn't subject to splattering like the hygienist was.

No extra charges for PPE on the bill.

I used more hand sanitizer before leaving, then washed with soap and water once I got home.

Had my followup appointment today to get my two fillings, one fixing an old filling and one small new one. Same procedures as most again with peroxide rinse, temp check, hand sanitizer, maskk, list of questions and a blood oxygen check. I was curious about the PPE charges some had mentioned so when checking out, I volunteered that I had received my insurance statement for my cleaning a few weeks ago and wanted to pay the remaining bill now rather than waiting on the mailed invoice. The invoice usually takes months to be sent out for some reason. I had tried to check on line with my insurance company but as usual, my information was not available online at that time. Sheesh!

I was told there was no remaining balance and actually had a $9 credit. First time I've ever been to a dentist and had that happen. I actually made 9 bucks for getting my teeth cleaned and Xrays taken. Guess there was no issue with PPE charges.

No so lucky on my two fillings as I had to pay $74 for them.

DW was prepped and fitted for a crown early last week. About three days afterwards, she came down with a bad sore throat that has not gone away, although no other symptoms other than a little nasal drip. She had a tele medicine visit with the doctor yesterday, and while the Dr did not feel it was covid, she was sent for a test this afternoon as a precaution. DW said it felt like the swab hit her eyeball, and it did cause a little bleeding. Nurse that took the test said the results would be sent to the Dr in 2 days and then we would hear directly from her Dr, so we are assuming not hearing until Monday. The testing was very convenient, they gave us an appointment and we showed up in the drive thru lane and got tested without a wait. Much more efficient than some of the testing fiascos that have been reported on by our local news stations.

I bush my teeth, use floss, a waterpik, and a mouthwash. When my teeth cleaning appt was canceled due to the dentist closing except for emergencies a few months ago when cases were much lower I decided not to reschedule until I felt safe going in. Now the number of cases have increased in Florida and in my county more than 4X. If that takes another year or more then that is what it will be. Same goes for haircuts and having my eyes checked. The way things are going I may be the last man standing.

Cheers!

DW did her cleaning with no problem and I plan to do the same in August. She’s also having cataract surgery in September, which she really needs. And other required medical. She said all of the experiences were very sanitary. YMMV.

I bush my teeth, use floss, a waterpik, and a mouthwash. When my teeth cleaning appt was canceled due to the dentist closing except for emergencies a few months ago when cases were much lower I decided not to reschedule until I felt safe going in. Now the number of cases have increased in Florida and in my county more than 4X. If that takes another year or more then that is what it will be. Same goes for haircuts and having my eyes checked. The way things are going I may be the last man standing.

Cheers!

Numbers are going up here too.

Fortunately I had my annual eye exam back in late February. I picked up my new glasses on 3/17, a few days after everything but essential businesses locked down. My biannual dental cleaning is scheduled for two weeks from now (it's been on the books for six months) and I will be cancelling it.

I wish I had gotten a haircut before lockdown. These clippers are on the way at long last: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0993NM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For four months the clippers were selling (when available) for between $80 - $120 online. Then about ten days ago I saw them listed for $38. Their pre-pandemic price was $30, so I pounced and got my order in. The next day they were once again listed as "unavailable." :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom