Dental cleaning appt in July - WWYD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have an overdue cleaning/checkup scheduled with my dentist for mid-July. Clearly an optional procedure, but one I don't want to put off forever. Given that my teeth are in good shape (no bleeding, no pain, no gum tenderness or redness, etc.), I'm starting to wonder if I should postpone the appointment.

My dentist is located in metro Atlanta, and here in Georgia we've been experiencing a large uptick in daily cases over the past week. I expect this will continue and probably even accelerate beyond the July 4th weekend. Is an optional teeth cleaning at this time worth even the fairly small absolute risk of contracting the virus? Clearly, I'll need to have another cleaning/checkup before a vaccine is developed, but wouldn't it be better to reschedule it for a time when new cases are not spiking in my area? What would you do?

I am going to the periodontist in late July. A little concerned, but always happy with their cleanliness plus already skipped the last appointment and do have not so great gums.
In your case, would say it is a toss up.

I planned on going to mine in July, then I broke a crown yesterday and I'm going in tomorrow[emoji40]. DW, who gets cleaning 3x yearly because of gum issues is going in on Wednesday. Diffence is we're in a rural area with the same 8 cases we've had for a month.

FWIW I wouldn't push to go back if you are concerned. DBIL is a Dentist in SW FL and has been working, he's cautious but doesn't act too concerned. He's not allowing the hygienists to use ultrasonic equipment as it aerosolizes your saliva.

Last edited:
I have an overdue cleaning/checkup scheduled with my dentist for mid-July. Clearly an optional procedure, but one I don't want to put off forever. Given that my teeth are in good shape (no bleeding, no pain, no gum tenderness or redness, etc.), I'm starting to wonder if I should postpone the appointment.

My dentist is located in metro Atlanta, and here in Georgia we've been experiencing a large uptick in daily cases over the past week. I expect this will continue and probably even accelerate beyond the July 4th weekend. Is an optional teeth cleaning at this time worth even the fairly small absolute risk of contracting the virus? Clearly, I'll need to have another cleaning/checkup before a vaccine is developed, but wouldn't it be better to reschedule it for a time when new cases are not spiking in my area? What would you do?

We did. Our annual checkup is not until December. So we decided to wait.

My Kaiser dental office in Portland is still only handling dental issues, no cleanings.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow for a cleaning.

In the last two weeks I have had a physical at my regular doctor, had my eyes checked as well. I felt all the protocols were adequate and I felt I was never at risk.

I have a cleaning scheduled for Thursday afternoon, also in metro Atlanta. I called the dental office today, left a message saying I'd like to talk about the appointment. Their website doesn't state the precautions being taken, which bothers me. If I decide to go ahead with a cleaning, I think I will reschedule. I would feel safest being the first patient of the day. I'm awaiting the phone call. Heck, I'm beginning to wonder if they are even open for non-emergency dental care.

I have a cleaning scheduled for Thursday afternoon, also in metro Atlanta. I called the dental office today, left a message saying I'd like to talk about the appointment. Their website doesn't state the precautions being taken, which bothers me. If I decide to go ahead with a cleaning, I think I will reschedule. I would feel safest being the first patient of the day. I'm awaiting the phone call. Heck, I'm beginning to wonder if they are even open for non-emergency dental care.

My dentist, who I am seeing tomorrow, told me they added 15 minutes between all appointments to disinfect the space between patients. They are also only allowing one patient in the waiting room at a time. You have to call to gain entry.

My dentist, who I am seeing tomorrow, told me they added 15 minutes between all appointments to disinfect the space between patients. They are also only allowing one patient in the waiting room at a time. You have to call to gain entry.

Thanks. More than anything else I'm concerned about anything hanging around in the air.

OP, as I stated in another thread, I have a biannual cleaning scheduled for mid-August, and I will be rescheduling it for January 2021. I'd just rather not take the risk, given all the things we still don't know about this virus.

These kinds of measures would go a long way towards mitigating my fears, so I think I'll call my dentist tomorrow to find out if they're doing something similar. If so, I'll probably keep the appointment.

In addition, ask/consider how they're planning to perform the cleaning. I had a cleaning appt recently and not only was there an entry protocol (questions, temp, wait in car until called), additional sanitizing stations between patients (added 20 mins to each appt time), and additional PPE (gowns, gloves, masks, and shields) for the hygienist, but they also stopped using tools that could cause spray. That meant a cleaning via hand tools and no polishing. Felt safe overall, given the circumstances. Know that Dentists by profession are very aware of infectious spread protection...so their current adjustments are likely more informed than many other service providers.

I had a 6 month cleaning/check up scheduled for mid-June and rescheduled for mid-September.

Exactly what I did. Appt. in June, rescheduled for Sept. I don’t know how expensive a HVAC Hepa filter is, but it seems in a dental office this is an important investment. I like my dentist but may reconsider changing to my neighbors dentist who installed the filtering system that cleans the air every 12 minutes.

in our clinic at the university everyone fills out a form asking if they have been in contact with anyone with covid or traveled recently or any symptoms, etc. everyone has their temp taken, no one in waiting area, you wait in your car until we texted you to come in, extra time between patients for thorough cleaning, no ultrasonics used at this time so no aerosols in the air. staff wear an n95 mask with another mask over that and a face shield. the second mask is used only once per patient. not enough n95 masks to use only once per patient so we use the second one to cover the n95. every precaution is taken for both the staff and patients safety.

Had to go twice (a month or so ago) to replace a crown that was mysteriously absent one morning when I woke up. They're doing a good job with precautions, which they've outlined on their website - arrive, park and call them to tell them you're there. They call you back when it's time. You must wear a mask. In the waiting area they had me slip on booties, took my temperature, asked a few questions. All of the office staff are separated from patients by plexiglass dividers. After a few minutes they had me wash my hands for 20 seconds then off to the room. Had me keep my mask on till the last minute then had me put it back on as soon as they were done. A handful of hand sanitizer and they opened the door for me to leave.

Going in on Wednesday this week for regular cleaning and checkup. Same procedure will be in place.

Cheers.

I cancelled an appt when we were peak in our state. It was rescheduled for a couple weeks ago and I went as we are very low now.

Their protocol was to wait outside in your car until they called you. When I went in, I was the only one there. They had also booked extra time for cleaning in between patients. I felt pretty comfortable....but honestly I think that had more to do with covid-19 being pretty low key in this area right now. Not sure I’d want to go where it’s spiking.

For the record....I was already behind in my 6 month cleaning when I cancelled the first time. So if you’re not having any issues...what’s the rush?

We had to postpone our appointments back in early June to mid July because of a schedule conflict. I would have gone then, and plan to go next week.

Clearly, I'll need to have another cleaning/checkup before a vaccine is developed, but wouldn't it be better to reschedule it for a time when new cases are not spiking in my area? What would you do?

I totally understand your dilemma and have just been through this same set of issues as I also have high maintenance teeth and would like to keep them ;)

I had a regularly scheduled cleaning appt last week. Numbers are lowish in my area and the dentist has some new procedures in place that seemed reasonable. Wait in your car, temp check and mask on the way in, etc. I decided to go figuring that this might be worse this winter and that if I had to skip a cleaning, it might be better to have one now when infection rates in my area are relatively low.

All good.

I had my teeth cleaned and then ON THE WAY OUT THE DOOR of the office overheard the other hygienist talking to the dentist about how she hated the new mask regs in place in my state and that she would not follow them except when seeing patients and that she had been to Seattle a few days ago (high infection rate) and that... etc. The dentist agreed with her.

When I got home I flipped on the news to learn that 3 local health care workers had tested positive - 2 had no symptoms.

That was 6 days ago. 8 days to go until I'll sleep well. :nonono:

Depends how overdue. If you've skipped a few months, maybe not. If you're past a year, maybe yes.

Of course, it's all a gamble on if things will be worse vs. better in another few months. I'm in FL, so I'd put my money on worse. I'm a couple months overdue but should look into going soon I guess...

What timing. I just came back from a dental cleaning today. Been 6 months since the last time. The dental office did take several precautions to make the environment safer from covid-19.

I also have a cleaning / checkup scheduled for mid July. I want to reschedule for later in the year. I have broken off part of a back tooth since my last visit, but it isn’t bothering me. Still - I would prefer to reschedule to at least a few months later.

I broke a tooth in March so went to dentist under emergency care during shutdown, only one in office.

Since then I have been to the dentist 3 times in June due to getting a crown and having it adjusted. The precautions they take are comforting.

1. Call before go in, no one else in the waiting room etc. Mask required to go in.
2. Temp check upon entering
3. N95 and face shields, gloves, gowns, on all dentist workers, except receptionist which is behind a plexiglass divider with a slit to put your credit card into the card slot to pay, no touching by receptionist
4. Ventilation tubes that are placed in front of dental chair that are supposed to filter the air
and H2O2 wash prior to beginning procedure
5. When done someone comes to walk you out or to pay to insure no other patients in hallway.
6. extra $10 pay for "covid precautions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom