Fantastic Vaccine Results in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just have to Google “Covid breakthrough cases” to find plenty of examples such as in Oregon where 168 fully vaccinated people out of 700,000 caught Covid.

In Oregon, at least 168 fully vaccinated people have had “breakthrough” Covid-19 coronavirus infections so far. Of those, 19 ended up being hospitalized, and three died, according to the Oregon Health Authority (OHA). Fully vaccinated means that you are at least two weeks past getting the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which should be enough time for your immune system to build up enough protection.

I wonder if those 19 vaccinated people who were hospitalized from breakthrough COVID were perhaps much older/frailer, or had certain comorbidities, or were immunocompromised, etc. In other words, were they much more likely to have ended up in the hospital anyway, regardless of COVID? It would be interesting to know how many young (say, under 65), healthy people are developing breakthrough COVID severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

I was just providing an actual reference as requested above.

I wonder if those 19 vaccinated people who were hospitalized from breakthrough COVID were perhaps much older/frailer, or had certain comorbidities, or were immunocompromised, etc. In other words, were they much more likely to have ended up in the hospital anyway, regardless of COVID? It would be interesting to know how many young (say, under 65), healthy people are developing breakthrough COVID severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

No idea, but it would be interesting to many to know.

It's that chicken or the egg thing again. Did they feel sick from Covid and get tested, or did they have other medical issues and test positive for Covid in a hospital setting?

This is another buggy stat statement. First more then a few people had Covid and did not know it. And many people took serious steps to be sure they didn't get Covid. I didn't set foot in my favorite grocery for over a year until I was full vaccinated.

No reliable statistics on those who got it and didn't know it. I think they are don't cares in this situation since they wouldn't have gotten sick with or without the vaccination. Also vaccinated people are still taking steps to avoid exposure in todays world.

Another datapoint on breakthrough cases.

"This result is not unexpected," county spokesperson Matt Brown told SFGATE. "We know that the various vaccines are not 100% effective."

These 39 instances represent 1% of the total positive cases over the last four months, according to the county.

"We expect this rate to be present in other counties as well," Brown said.

Contact tracing revealed that none of the infected individuals transmitted the virus to others, according to the Press Democrat, which broke the story about the cases. Also, only one of the 39 people was hospitalized with moderate illness for a short period.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/breakthrough-coronavirus-cases-Bay-Area-Sonoma-16100389.php

That no transmission resulted is really terrific. That even with breakthrough infections, the chain of transmission is mostly broken is super promising for stopping the spread.

Very encouraging!

Last edited:
If the "refusers" remain at high levels, the Darwin Awards winner may be hard to pick this year. YMMV

We recently heard from two friends living in different areas of Ontario Province. They are really struggling with limited vaccines available and a super surge of one of the bad variants. Total lockdown. We seem to hear little news about our neighboring countries covid situations.

Interesting thing is that Ontario is just across the border from MI, which is having a big surge now.

They're not suppose to be crossing the border on either side.

Interesting thing is that Ontario is just across the border from MI, which is having a big surge now.

They're not suppose to be crossing the border on either side.

Any explanation why Michigan has so many more new Covid cases than other states?

Last edited:
Any explanation why Michigan has so much more new Covid cases than other states?

They had earlier exposure to variant B117 which coincided with reopening of youth sports? Unfortunately B117 is particularly contagious among children and young people, and it’s quite a bit more transmissible compared to prior variants.

In early March, the governor allowed 50% capacity for indoor dining.

But the word was, people were ignoring any kind of constraints long before.

So there are outbreaks at restaurants. I read that a [mod edit] meeting was held at a restaurant and at least 12 got infected. Interviewed the guy who was hospitalized. He was one of the few wearing a mask.

I would imagine after youth sports games, they are going to restaurants and having large parties dining together, using the restroom, which may even have worst ventilation than the main dining room.

Last edited by a moderator:
... We seem to hear little news about our neighboring countries covid situations.

I caught a brief story on the nightly news last night about how bad it is in Brazil. They had nearly 3,500 DEATHS yesterday alone. As much as folks would like to think that "Covid is over!" it clearly is not.

Last edited:
I caught a brief story on the nightly news last night about how bad it is in Brazil. They had nearly 3,500 DEATHS yesterday alone. As much as folks would like to think that "Covid is over!" it clearly is not.

Oh, Brazil seems to be the saddest story! Just horrible!

Until most of the globe is vaccinated, COVID ain’t over for the US.

It ain’t over in the US domestically either. People are just acting like it is.

We seem to have to learn things the hard way, over and over again. Lots of extra suffering because folks keep putting themselves in harms way because they think it won’t be serious for them, and ignore that they can harm others until they or all others are vaccinated.

Last edited:
The CDC gave some impressive numbers today about breakthrough infections seen so far.

CDC: Out of 75 million fully vaccinated Americans, 5,800 got COVID-19 and 74 died
https://www.businessinsider.com/inf...on-cdc-numbers-breakthrough-infections-2021-4
More than one in five Americans has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. But vaccinated people can still get the coronavirus, though infections are exceedingly rare and typically quite mild.

Of the 75 million people across the US who were fully vaccinated as of April 13, some 5,800 still tested positive for COVID-19 — what's known as a "breakthrough infection" — according to new data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A few of those infections in vaccinated individuals were severe. Around 400 of the 5,800 people with breakthrough infections (7%) required hospitalization, and 74 (1.3%) died from the disease, the CDC said in a statement.

The report is another reminder that, as Dr. Anthony Fauci and other public health experts have been stressing for months now, vaccination is not a one and done silver bullet to end the pandemic. Mask-wearing and social distancing still remain critically important, until we have enough immunity to eliminate the virus from circulation.

That’s 0.008% breakthrough infections, 0.0005% hospitalized, and 0.0001% deaths - 1 in a million!

I expect the numbers to go up, because at least for a while, there will be more opportunities for exposure of fully vaccinated folks until COVID cases come down. But it’s still way, way below the numbers anticipated by the vaccine manufacturers.

Last edited:
The CDC gave some impressive numbers today about breakthrough infections seen so far.

CDC: Out of 75 million fully vaccinated Americans, 5,800 got COVID-19 and 74 died
https://www.businessinsider.com/inf...on-cdc-numbers-breakthrough-infections-2021-4

That’s 0.008% breakthrough infections and 0.0001% deaths.

I expect the numbers to go up, because at least for a while, there will be more opportunities for exposure until COVID cases come down. But it’s still way, way below the numbers anticipated by the vaccine manufacturers.

Of the deaths - occurred in older adults in poor health.
Amazing numbers.

Amazing numbers.

They are a great achievement in the Covid fight. I'll be interested to see how it looks when more younger people get vaccinated. We are both fully vaccinated at 30 days past second shot. But we aren't really doing things a lot differently then we did pre vaccine. I imagine a lot of us are like that.. don't eat out, careful about public gatherings, trying to gather only with other vaccinated people. Older and don't have regular jobs.

I'm not licking any doorknobs anytime soon. I feel younger people might resume regular life sooner and hopefully the number of cases in vaccinated people will stay low.

They are a great achievement in the Covid fight. I'll be interested to see how it looks when more younger people get vaccinated. We are both fully vaccinated at 30 days past second shot. But we aren't really doing things a lot differently then we did pre vaccine. I imagine a lot of us are like that.. don't eat out, careful about public gatherings, trying to gather only with other vaccinated people. Older and don't have regular jobs.

I'm not licking any doorknobs anytime soon. I feel younger people might resume regular life sooner and hopefully the number of cases in vaccinated people will stay low.

Got my first Pfizer dose a couple days ago. Looking forward to the second in about 20 days with the hope of minimal side effects.

I won't be licking any doorknob either :LOL:. But will be nice to do some things I've put off like bringing my car in for recall repair and getting a darn haircut (been over a year) without the "you never know about maybe caught something" doubt creeping in.

Got my first Pfizer dose a couple days ago. Looking forward to the second in about 20 days with the hope of minimal side effects.

I won't be licking any doorknob either :LOL:. But will be nice to do some things I've put off like bringing my car in for recall repair and getting a darn haircut (been over a year) without the "you never know about maybe caught something" doubt creeping in.

Exactly right, I am going into some retail places for postponed stuff and I've noticed a couple times I got right to the door and had left my mask in my car. Pre vaccine I would have masked up , put on my gloves and taken a deep breath before going inside anywhere. Just feel a little lighter.

We are now 20 days past our second dose, and we went shopping today. It was the young wife's first trip to the grocery in over a year (I have been doing all the bi-weekly shopping trips). We still mask up and social distance, but it is comforting to have been vaccinated.

Last edited:
We are now 20 days past our second dose, and we went shopping today. It was the young wife's first trip to the grocery in over a year (I have been doing all the bi-weekly shopping trips).

We have really enjoyed curbside. I think we will keep it up for most groceries even post vaccine.

That’s 0.008% breakthrough infections, 0.0005% hospitalized, and 0.0001% deaths - 1 in a million!

I expect the numbers to go up, because at least for a while, there will be more opportunities for exposure of fully vaccinated folks until COVID cases come down. But it’s still way, way below the numbers anticipated by the vaccine manufacturers.
That will make my next week's air travel in over 15 months a bit more relaxing.

It really makes me wonder what the "refusers" are thinking about. I'd gladly take even the J&J (with it's apparent side effects) vs nothing. YMMV

I suspect it’s all over the map, from conspiracies to feeling their personal risk is vanishingly small, to whatever.

But I suspect the hesitant group will continue to shrink as hurdles come down and more and more others are vaccinated, and the results continue to be so good.

Vaccinating the youngest folks is really critical to reaching herd immunity.

One cloud over vaccinations is the poor results in immunocompromised people. A lot of these people are not making antibodies in response to the vaccine. A number of breakthrough cases have occurred in this group. As we know, chronically infected people can have mutating virus that can produce viable variants, as occurred in Britain.

Some people in the long COVID support groups that were negative for antibodies after infection are finding they are still negative after completing the vaccines and waiting several weeks before being tested. They may not be protected from reinfection.

It does appear that some people fight the virus with T cells and never develop antibodies. A lot of unknowns still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom