Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard that a 63-year-old acquaintance of mine in S. Lyon, MI (I knew him through a Boomer meetup group) died on Mar. 31 of Covid-19.:(

omni

It's another good reason to not get the virus in this first wave. Hopefully, months from now there will have been time to get organized with PPE, testing, treatment protocols, etc. If effective treatments are proven, early and widespread testing will be critical to get the right people into the treatment pipeline.

I like the way you think.

Imagine if this had happened pre-Internet. The phone lines would've collapsed from overload, and we'd be afraid to open letters from people.

When Anthrax became a weapon- I was so afraid to open mail, I changed most bills to online and opened a PO BOX which I still have to this day. I can filter through the junk mail and dispose of it at the post office and open the legit mail and only take the important papers with me. Gloves and all. That one incident changed my behavior for good. I do not receive mail at my personal residence and never will.

DW and I have had no symptoms so far. We are trying to stay in except for the grocery store about once every week and a half. My nephew in NYC had the virus but is now recovered. We heard yesterday that there are about 50 cases in our zip code in the suburbs of Detroit.

So I see on Twitter that someone promoting hydroxycloroquine as a cure was suspended. My two cents: although I love this drug I can't see how in any way it would cure covid 19. Make a person with terrible bodyaches and a fever feel much much better, yes, but it would not provide a cure for someone's lungs.

I'm not sure if or how it works, I suspect it does help. As far as the lungs, I think a lot of the problem is your bodies response to the invader that congests the lungs, if you could blunt some of that response, you may have less lung problems.
Maybe hydroxycloroquine helps with that response.

I was actually thinking about anthrax today. It's a bacillus, not a virus, but kills the same way as I've read COVID-19 does: reproduces so fast that it doesn't just overwhelm your immune system - it clogs your pipes, so to speak, with its own biomass and your dead cells. Gaaah I hope we come up with something, anything, that can short-circuit that. If I or someone I love ends up in the ICU, I will beg for experimental therapy with the lupus stuff.

When Anthrax became a weapon- I was so afraid to open mail, I changed most bills to online and opened a PO BOX which I still have to this day. I can filter through the junk mail and dispose of it at the post office and open the legit mail and only take the important papers with me. Gloves and all. That one incident changed my behavior for good. I do not receive mail at my personal residence and never will.

Anthrax was a big scare that amounted to nothing... I was really surprised how many people were so scared that they changed their lives...

It was directed at the news and political leaders... there was no way that anybody was going to be sending me anything with anthrax...

there was no way that anybody was going to be sending me anything with anthrax...

"Sssh...act nonchalant.....don't turn around.....just slowly and quietly make your way towards the....."

A couple of weeks ago I shared that my SIL, who is immune-suppressed because of organ transplant, was at Stanford Hospital in isolation in a bio-secure room. It turns out that he had RSV, a type of phenomena more common in infants. We had a family ZOOM conference this weekend. He said that covid-19 is nothing to discount as he could hear the wails of fear and grief echoing through the halls. He observed that Lab Techs had the protective gear donning and doffing down pat while nurses and physicians were struggling. He still looks sick but he is at less risk of contracting covid-19 at home than in the hospital.

After listening to the comments of virologists about a vaccine I conclude that SIL could not use a live-virus vaccine and the only way to protect him is to innoculate all who come in contact with him but not with a live-virus vaccine. That could take a while.

Anthrax was a big scare that amounted to nothing... I was really surprised how many people were so scared that they changed their lives...

It was directed at the news and political leaders... there was no way that anybody was going to be sending me anything with anthrax...

It took them a long time to find the perpetrator.

No one in our area or circle of friends has. I have been out to local grocery and hardware stores in the last few days and all has appeared normal.

My father (77) fell in his apartment on 3/25. Took him to hospital on the 26th. He died after spent 28 hours there. They took sample and tested. The result came back 11 days after his death. He got COVID'ed. the day of and before his death, he had no COVID's symptoms.

I have a coworker in London with both of her parents infected and her mother in the ICU. They're probably in their early/mid 70s.

Indiscriminate cross contamination via an automatic mail sorting machine would be a great equalizer when a finely powdered substance is tucked in an envelope and squeezed through rollers.

My father (77) fell in his apartment on 3/25. Took him to hospital on the 26th. He died after spent 28 hours there. They took sample and tested. The result came back 11 days after his death. He got COVID'ed. the day of and before his death, he had no COVID's symptoms.

So sorry for your loss !

I am very sorry for your loss.

So sorry!

Sorry for your loss. So sudden and I imagine shocking.

So sorry to hear this.

My nephew was diagnosed with COVID today. He has fairly mild symptoms - fever around 100. Sore throat. He's young and should be fine. A co-worker came down sick with it, so once my nephew started with symptoms he was tested and found to be positive.

Family friend in Thailand had been kind of quiet for the last month (usually lots of running and marathon and travel posts) after he went to the UK on a business trip mid-march. Turns out he came down with COVID-19, ended up in the hospital, eventually on oxygen (not an invasive ventilator) and is back at home now quarantined (fortunately they have two houses on their property and his parents live in the other house). The pictures from when he went to the hospital look pretty miserable, the experience doesn't sound fun, but thankfully he's on the mend and home. Still waiting to hear back if my aunt in Ireland has had it, she was extremely sick with flu-like symptoms but fortunately hasn't had to go to the hospital.

I'm certain that whatever risk you take in making any extra trip at all, even the 10 feet from your car to the post office door, is thousand's of times greater than the risk of you ever coming into contact with anything dangerous in your mail, and especially since you handle some of it anyway.

This is not rational.

-ERD50

I'm certain that whatever risk you take in making any extra trip at all, even the 10 feet from your car to the post office door, is thousand's of times greater than the risk of you ever coming into contact with anything dangerous in your mail, and especially since you handle some of it anyway.

This is not rational.

-ERD50

Probably not. But when I refused to shake people's hands in early March people thought I was being irrational. And when I told the waitress not to pick up my glass to refill my water in mid March people thought I was being irrational too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom