I have COVID-19 and No, It's Not the Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, AR, for posting your experience with the coronavirus. It certainly does sound like you have had it and are still suffering from it. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Welcome Dicey -

Like any other forum we have a variety of people and viewpoints here. And we welcome differences - but also allow some challenging of views. It's not unusual to see requests for data to back a view. So it's not surprising that there is a range of responses to AR's experiences. We do try to remain civil and respectful on this forum... Moderators step in if there are personal attacks. This helps make it a nicer place than some other corners of the internet.

I appreciate AR's sharing of details, and I am interested in the next installment of the experience. I too am going to try to be diligent.

I appreciate AR's sharing of details, and I am interested in the next installment of the experience. I too am going to try to be diligent.

I hope AR's next post says he is starting to feel some better. He has had a very rough go of it.

I am a long time fan of AR's from another forum. I joined e-r.org today, specifically to learn the details of AR's experience. After reading all the disclosures, I understood why AR chose to share their story here.

I am pleased by the amount of support AR has received and surprised by the naysayers and complainers. I am glad there are options for them to unfollow the thread.

Since the beginning of this epidemic, when I speak to friends and family, I ask them if they know anyone who has been affected. I noticed AR's absence from the other forum and was saddened and dismayed to learn of their situation. I am glad that this forum can be a safe outlet for AR to share their experience. We can all learn from it. To relax one's vigilance now, especially in light of the surging numbers, could be a fatal mistake.

As a result of AR's experience and information, I have dialed my caution all the way back up, and I am reminding everyone I know to continue to be mindful. AR is by no means out of the woods. The terrific effort they are making to share their story here could help save lives. I am pleased that AR has mustered the fortitude to share their experience. I know it has come at a great cost. I really appreciate the support that most of this forum has shown AR thus far. I hope the few naysayers will simply pick up their marbles and take them somewhere else.

I haven't contributed to this thread till now so I don't qualify as one of the naysayer's that you referenced.

Your last sentence makes you sound like you belong to the "You don't think like me so you must be silenced" crowd that is plaguing society currently.

For a first post, to be telling posters to take their opinions "somewhere else" is noteworthy.

Discussion is good. Rodi mentioned challenging viewpoints. All very good.

Perhaps silencing opinions is not the best way to learn?

Another thanks to AR for his experiences.

I'm surprised that there is any controversy regarding this thread. This virus seems to have a wide range of human responses. This was just mentioned by Fauci today:

Fauci said he’s never seen a single virus have such a wide range of symptoms.

Some people have no symptoms while “some get mild symptoms and some get symptoms enough to put them at home for a few days. Some are in bed for weeks and have symptoms even after they recover, others go to the hospital, some require oxygen, some require intensive care, some get intubated and some die,” he said.

link: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/23/fauci-warns-of-more-and-more-coronavirus-complications-in-young-people.html

And regardless of comorbidities and age, even if you are quite healthy, you could still have a very hard time of it. How your individual body is going to react is extremely unpredictable.

This is a novel virus. No human immune system has been challenged by this virus until now. Like any new disease, there will be a broad variety of responses.

Hope you are having a good day.

I am very interested in reading your ongoing posts, including small details. Curious if you detected any cycle to flare-ups?

I wish I could say I was improving, but I'm not. The best description of how I currently feel is it's like I have been poisoned.

I'm going to sum up my time at Stanford by saying I received excellent care by thorough doctors. I had full neurological and cardiac work-ups. With the exception, of an unexpected and concerning change in an existing cardiovascular issue, only minor things were found. My leg started to improve and by the time I left, I could walk to the bathroom under supervision. The food was good too.

The problem with all the medical care I have received is that without a positive virus or antibody test, nothing is considered within the framework of a COVID diagnosis. I can't say if they would have done things differently at Stanford if that had been a factor. The cardiovascular change could be COVID-related, based on inflammation.

The hospitalist that PAMF sent to Stanford to "supervise" was an unpleasant jerk. He said I received the "million dollar workup" and nothing significant was found. These people exist to contain costs, so his position was understandable, if not his phrasing or tone. He also said I could not possibly have COVID because I did not have a positive test. I understand that this makes sense to doctors whose knowledge of COVID is based on hospitalized patients with the classic pneumonia presentation, especially back in mid-May. Nothing I could have said then would have changed his mind.

Sadly, by the time I got out of Stanford, I was sicker, too sick to drive. Four days in a hospital bed with a catheter in your arm is not good for you plus my other neurological issues worsened. I have not been able to drive since.

Next chapter will cover what's happened since then and my changing symptoms.

AR your symptoms are truly frightening! I hope you can fully recover.

This reminds me to still be diligent in my social distancing. Here in Ohio things are opening in stages. I’ve been to medical appointments and one grocery store. We’ve done a little socializing with our son and his family, including some outdoor public places.

We have both been feeling healthy,but a couple weeks ago I started having an ear that feels blocked. No pain at all. I’ve always had no sense of smell and very little sense of taste so I wouldn’t notice any change there.

I’m not getting worried that I have covid. Just trying to stay aware that we are still in the midst of a pandemic and to stay diligent in our hand washing and mask wearing.

AR, keep us posted as to your progress.

AR, your story has strengthened my resolve to continue with social distancing and stringent hand-washing. I look around me and see my neighbors have gotten weary of avoiding social gatherings and express private beliefs that the threat is way overblown. I'm not filled with anxiety or panic--I just appreciate your first person account in all its remarkable detail. Not knowing anyone personally who has suffered this virus, it's become easy to think maybe it's not as infectious as everyone says and to let down one's guard.

AR, your story has strengthened my resolve to continue with social distancing and stringent hand-washing. I look around me and see my neighbors have gotten weary of avoiding social gatherings and express private beliefs that the threat is way overblown. I'm not filled with anxiety or panic--I just appreciate your first person account in all its remarkable detail. Not knowing anyone personally who has suffered this virus, it's become easy to think maybe it's not as infectious as everyone says and to let down one's guard.

If one person here avoids getting this terrible disease, then I accomplished a big part of my goal in doing this.

Oh yeah, there's been a lot of guard down letting and that's why we have this big surge. I just ordered up a new supply of masks.

Look forward to the continued story, as you feel up to sharing it.

AR your story triggered me to go get tested because if my symptoms (described in a previous post).. I tested "not detected".... But I still have the symptoms.

The doctor prescribed a ciclesonide inhaler to address the tight chest when breathing. Reading up on this it should address the symptoms AND is in phase 3 trials for treating covid. My situation isn't as extreme as yours, thank goodness.

Kaiser Permanente's message was careful in the wording... Didn't say I tested negative, said the virus was "not detected" by the PCR test.

AR your story triggered me to go get tested because if my symptoms (described in a previous post).. I tested "not detected".... But I still have the symptoms.

The doctor prescribed a ciclesonide inhaler to address the tight chest when breathing. Reading up on this it should address the symptoms AND is in phase 3 trials for treating covid. My situation isn't as extreme as yours, thank goodness.

Kaiser Permanente's message was careful in the wording... Didn't say I tested negative, said the virus was "not detected" by the PCR test.

You would be slightly more likely to show antibodies than the virus itself at this point. If they are offering antibody tests, you might want to get that.

I have a neighbor in an adjacent subdivision that had the classic COVID presentation. He has been writing about it on Nextdoor and has been interviewed by the media. After he recovered, he donated convalescent plasma at Stanford in April. His antibody count was very high at that point. When he went back to donate again, the antibody count had dropped below the minimum level required to donate. The antibodies disappear quickly.

The antibodies disappear quickly.

Is there any evidence/indication/speculation that subsequent exposure would generate a greater number of antibodies, (than the initial exposure produced), more rapidly?

Does the disappearance of antibodies over a relatively short time mean the person could become infected again? If so, what is the point of collecting the serum antibodies from people who have recovered from COVID? My son was asked to donate, and he did, but now I am wondering just how useful it will be.

I haven't contributed to this thread till now so I don't qualify as one of the naysayer's that you referenced.

Your last sentence makes you sound like you belong to the "You don't think like me so you must be silenced" crowd that is plaguing society currently.

For a first post, to be telling posters to take their opinions "somewhere else" is noteworthy.

Discussion is good. Rodi mentioned challenging viewpoints. All very good.

Perhaps silencing opinions is not the best way to learn?
I joined this forum in order to read AR's story. I duly read and agreed to the terms, particularly all of the warnings to "be nice". I come from a forum that plays a little looser with that rule, so I really expected that people would be different here. Instead, certain people were brutal. AR is very sick and is using their precious life energy to try to alert others so they may avoid the same fate. That people on a "nice" forum were so challenging/disbelieving of AR's experience was particularly upsetting.

If someone is telling a personal story on their own thread, who has the right to tell them they are wrong? By the time I finished reading, my blood was boiling. Perhaps my marbles comment wasn't nice enough, and if anyone's sensibilities were offended, I truly apologize. Perhaps I shall be the one to take my marbles elsewhere. I never really put them down here. I just wanted to support my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom